Wal's build a bike or 2, 3 or is it 4????

Wal42

Wal's build a bike or 2, 3 or is it 4????

Postby Wal42 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Ok, here's what I have here at present that I am building (with exception of a few MTB's & a 03 Giant OCR One).

First-

Benotto Ottimo- this one's a full repaint & build. The Ottimo is a rare bonded aluminium frame, as far as I can discover, they were pretty much the last of the Italian Benotto's.

As it is at present-

Repco Superlite-

Spanish Razesa-

Today's very shiny arrival in my letter box-

1976 56.5cm Benotto 2500 Chromevelato-

The Razesa & Superlite are straight builds, I'm not doing any paint or new stickers, just polish & build them.

The 2500 came with a new 'repo' sticker set as the original set have dried out & are starting to peel, I hoping to polish the chrome up as well as i can get it them I'll work out if I re-sticker the frame (they're slightly different) or just leave it the way it was from new.

rollin

Re: Wal's build a bike or 2, 3 or is it 4????

Postby rollin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 pm

The benotto looks great..
You should tidy up the garden too... Lol

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:20 pm

Pffft , the garden can wait, there's more important things to do :) .

I love the mix of different bikes you've got going there, they all have their own little attractions.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:49 pm

Viva la chrome. Looks good RSM. enjoy thinking about them for the next two weeks.
Happy holidays :wink:
Waz
Wazza

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Wazza wrote:Viva la chrome. Looks good RSM. enjoy thinking about them for the next two weeks.
Waz

Holidays, yeah, farkin car decided that it's electrics are having a holiday as well, so at present I'm not going anywhere until I can get the damn thing to the auto elects tomorrow.

But since the yard was in need of some work, I decided to make it look a little better.

Here's the end results, I hope you like............

What, did you expect me to do some work around the garden, fark that, no fun in that shite at all.

This was way more fun. Hoping to hear from pentlandexile soon about some clusters & quills he's trying to sell, one of them is destined for the 2500, a set of band on Campy D/T shifters are enroute from Hungary, Benotto NOS bar tape enroute from the US, just have to source a pair of TdF bend bars & possibly a set of Campy nut type brakes (currently it's fitted with Shimano Arabesque ones). Rear Derailleur update, taking the 1st Gen Athena one (in the pictures) off the bike & will be fitting it to my Benotto Ottimo (will be trying to make it 10speed Campy D/T shifting) & using the earlier Campy RD that I was fitting to that, so RD is organised.

Also have had an approach about this from France.......

This will be restored then the guy will work out how much he wants for it, I do want a Moser but it'll depend on the end costs, the current owner doesn't really want it as he only normally has just Benotto's but this sort of fell into his lap.
Last edited by Wal42 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Wal42 wrote:
I like that. For an Italian bike.

Dan

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Benny 2 looking good! As is Alberto.

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Hope the electrics work out OK today Wal
Wazza

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:15 pm

Car is currently off at auto elects, will know later today.

Bike update- pulled the Campy calipers off the Superlite that I was building, rear one fits but the front one was too short to fit through the fork, anything else I would have drilled the fork out but not on the chromo Benny.

Check eblag, found one down the road on auction, unfortunately it was damaged, contacted the seller, guess who? Yeah, it was funnybike, anyways, the bolt ain't damaged so I'm off to grab it, there was a bidder on it, we may know who it is, he's on this forum, so if you were trying to buy a caliper off funnybike & it vanished, contact him, between the pair of us we may be able to sort something out for you.

So benny still needs bars, stem & cluster (the last 2 should be easily solved when I pick up the stuff from pentlandexile), so it will probably be a month to 6 weeks away at earliest, but may fit some cheap shite bar tape to Alberto & see if I just can't get it ready for a Saturday ride, now where do I want to ride on Saturday????

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Ok, the Razesa (Luis) is finished, quick test ride up & down the street, proper ride tomorrow on the Retro Raturday Riverloop.

Hopefully it won't have any issues, this bike has been the most trouble I've ever had with a bike, right from the start the seller in Spain stuffed me around for 2 months, I've changed the brakes twice, changed the gruppo once, things that should have fit didn't, it's not been any fault of the bike it's just that I have no patience for this one. I've got a set of Lasko single speed cranks & a set of s/s wheels here, if the bike brings up any more issues then I'll convert it to single speed & flog it off, actually this bike has caused me that many headaches if someone offered me a reasonable amount I'd sell it without even thinking.

Ok, here's the spec sheet for the final build--

Suntour Superbe D/T shifters, front & rear derailleur.

Sugino Stronglight cranks

Dia Compe Grand Compe brake calipers

Suntour brake levers

Zeus Aero seatpost

Kalloy quill stem

Sakae CT TdF bend bars

Benotto white bar tape

27" X Rims AP18 rims on Suntour Cyclone rear & Suzue 3H front hubs

Suntour 6 speed freewheel

Selle Success WC Kevlar saddle

Continental Ultra Sport 32-630 wheels

Zefal RX300 mini pump

TA Specialties bidon cage

All up weight (including pedals, seat bag with 2 tubes & tool kit)- 12.9kgs

The only thing left is the matching bar tape when it arrives from the US & fit new cables & outers (I cut all the cables then decided the brakes weren't safe enough for my liking).

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:26 pm

Nice work Wal.

GastonJacques

Postby GastonJacques » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:28 am

Wal42 wrote:
Wazza wrote:Viva la chrome. Looks good RSM. enjoy thinking about them for the next two weeks.
Waz

Holidays, yeah, farkin car decided that it's electrics are having a holiday as well, so at present I'm not going anywhere until I can get the damn thing to the auto elects tomorrow.

But since the yard was in need of some work, I decided to make it look a little better.

Here's the end results, I hope you like............

Hi everyone! Sorry for necroing this thread, but I have the very same Razesa frame as the one above and am not sure about the threading of the bottom bracket, is it BSA or Italian? Any help would be much appreciated!