Help me spend some cash!

malocchio

Help me spend some cash!

Postby malocchio » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:49 pm

So I've got a bit of cash to play with and am looking at getting a track bike. I've had a few sessions at DISC with the Hillbrick loan bikes and my Reid fixie is getting a bit of a workout on the streets.

I think it's time to step up and get myself a trackie and start competing! I've got a modest budget of around $900-$1000 and would ultimately prefer to build something up myself.

The Avanti Pista seems to be the suitable cheap option, but I'd love to get into something at the Pista Pro level, or the similar-specc'ed Giant Omnium or Fuji Track 1.1. These are all at the $1500 range so just out of my budget...

There's a few sub-$400 frames that have taken my eye, but might be a bit too costly once every other component has been factored in:
Leader 725: http://www.citygrounds.com/leader/leade ... -2013-1982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unknown LV2: http://www.citygrounds.com/unknown/unkn ... frame-1676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where else should I be looking to get into a decent modern framed track bike? I'm not against getting a second-hand bike, I'd be looking for a small 50-52cm TT I'd say...

thanks in advance for your advice!

high_tea

Re: Help me spend some cash!

Postby high_tea » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:30 pm

I went through a similar exercise. The way it broke down for me (going from memory, so figures a little rubbery):

Frame + seatpost + stem (second-hand: eBay) :$400
Wheels: $90 (second-hand: eBay)
Cranks + BB: $180
Sprocket: $30
Lockring: $20
Chain: $15
Bars: $100
Tyres: $50

So I think it's do-able on that sort of budget if you shop around and/or compromise on certain parts (I didn't really need Nitto handlebars, for example :D ) I had to lash out on a couple of tools (spanner for the chainring nuts, 1/8" chainwhip and BB tool) so bear in mind that you might need a new tool or two.

Asking around at the velodrome isn't a bad idea either. I've seen a few bikes brought along to sell, so I expect a few change hands that way.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:00 pm

I have this for sale, my young bloke grew out of it. Its probably a bit big for you. 52cm seat tube, 54cm top tube. Comes with 4 chainrings, 48, 49, 50, 51 and the rear wheel has a 13 and 15 on one side and a 14 and 16 on the other (flip flop). Pretty cool, no cog swapping required. Very light aluminium frame. It owes me about $900 but I would accept $750.
Anyway, there are good second hand bikes out there, just need to ask around the bike clubs.
If you can find a good frame you could build one up - I did this with my sons KOGA (piccy on the track bike photo thread). But I did fork out a bit of money for the frame, new Sugino cranks, and Dura-Ace hubs.
Good luck, I'll ask around at my club for you.
Cheers, DD

MarkD83

Postby MarkD83 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 am

I brought a specialized langster 2013 about one month ago, cost my around 800 awesome starting out bike.

malocchio

Postby malocchio » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:49 am

Thanks for the help!

As I've spent more time looking around, it's getting more difficult to stay within the budget :)

I've got a few tools already and a couple of spare parts lying around the house... hopefully I can get this project rolling :-)

DD : I'm approx 174cm / 73cm inseam, ride a 51cm Wilier road bike at the moment hence the reason i'm looking for a Small frame - I'm lead to believe a track frame should be a size smaller / more compact than a road frame?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:50 pm

malocchio wrote:
DD : I'm approx 174cm / 73cm inseam, ride a 51cm Wilier road bike at the moment hence the reason i'm looking for a Small frame - I'm lead to believe a track frame should be a size smaller / more compact than a road frame?
Im surprised at 5'8 that you ride a 51. Even the Wilier website says you should be on a 54
http://www.this link is broken/wilier-izoard-xp-105-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Im 5'9 and ride a 55
But if the 51 fits, it fits ... anything is possible.

\Riding a size smaller on the track bike ... Ive heard of the idea but not sure i agree with it. All the blokes I train ride the same size as their roady, and that includes State and National track champions.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:48 pm

Derny Driver wrote:\Riding a size smaller on the track bike ... Ive heard of the idea but not sure i agree with it. All the blokes I train ride the same size as their roady, and that includes State and National track champions.
Must be some new fangdangled idea because it's new to me to. Both my road and track frames where the same size = 60cm. :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:58 pm

malocchio wrote:
DD : I'm approx 174cm / 73cm inseam
There's your answer guys.
That subischial leg length is on the extreme lower end of the ratio scale.
malocchio is ALL body. :shock: (thought I had short legs for my height :P )
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

malocchio

Postby malocchio » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:20 am

Hrmm I might have to re-check that figure... I certainly don't think I have dachsund proportions :-)

I'm certainly comfortable on the Wilier with a 100mm stem. My other bike (avanti vivace) is a medium with an 80mm stem and has the same distance from saddle to bar.

I think it's time to get out there and take a few bikes for a spin...

brentono

Postby brentono » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:54 am

Don't over think it. Personally, being on that side of the ratio scale, is an advantage
in Cycling, in my opinion (genetics you can't change them) and maybe an plus for Track,
given you concentrated power, and so speed. Worked for me. :D All the best.
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

Nikko127

Postby Nikko127 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:18 pm

I am lead to believe that is is widely accepted that doe to the more agressive shape of the track bike, 2cm smaller frame size is the norm, although my track bike is a 56 and the roadie is a 60. I like the smaller frame and the abillity to "throw" the trackie around a bit easier.

malocchio

Postby malocchio » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:11 am

So I pulled the trigger on a bike last night :-)

With tape measure in hand, I had the sizing charts open on my laptop and was comparing the geometry to my Wilier. I ended up with a "52cm" frame but I've come to realise these arbitrary sizing distinctions don't really mean too much.

I'm sure there's cheaper and better bikes out there for the money, and to be honest I'd love something that looks a bit more aero with the seatstay fairings (a la the Giant Omnium et al) but I couldn't pass up the Italian branding and heritage, much like myself :-)

I'm now on the lookout for a few new cogs and chainrings to start building the collection. The bike should be here in about two weeks, can't wait to hit the boards!

toppity

Postby toppity » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:53 pm

looks great. You'll have a blast on it.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

alexlhh

Postby alexlhh » Fri May 17, 2013 2:30 pm

hey, I am new to track racing and looking for a track bike as well, many friends suggest me the new R-series Cervelo racing bike, I think it is way too much for some newbie like me (sry cannot upload the photo), but if you can upgrade your budget for a bit, that definitely will be your first choice. Cervelo's Racing bikes: http://www.cervelo.com/en/bikes/r-series.html