Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

The place for fixies and other rides without gears

Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi Guy's, I recently through a post over in general about a winter training ride so I don't hurt my beautiful road bike and also for a bit of extra strength training.

I currently commute a 55km round trip 4-5 days a week here in Perth the terrain is pretty flat so i'm not fussed about needing the gearing for any climbing.

I had the idea of building up a bike around either a Charge Plug :

http://chargebikes.com/products/plug/

Or a BB17 Transfer Frame http://breakbrake17.com/blog/2012/05/14 ... heck-53cm/ which I will build up from Scratch.

Given my build estimate is starting to creep into almost 2k territory on the latter I was seeing if anyone had some good advice on a either a good base bike I can upgrade (like the Charge) or perhaps some suggestions on a frame to do a build around.

*Edit* Oh and before I forget neither of these frames have bottle cage bosses so given a reasonable commute I would appreciate something with at least one set.

I can post my parts list if anyone is interested but at this stage the frame is my focus.

Thanks in advance.
Image
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
User avatar
sil3nt
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth WA

by BNA » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:24 pm

BNA
 

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby HLC » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:24 pm

you want a Surly Steamroller.

from there, parts choice is whatever you want!
User avatar
HLC
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney.

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:32 pm

HLC wrote:you want a Surly Steamroller.

from there, parts choice is whatever you want!


Hey HLC, thanks for that. I saw a clearance of the old Steamroller frame on wiggle but it was not in my size.

They also have the Cinelli Gazetta Framset in stock which would suit my size, had any experience or know if they are worth the $550 delivered price tag ?

Thanks
Image
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
User avatar
sil3nt
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby MilkRacer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Just go the single speed route. You're right Perth is pretty flat. I get away with a 50/15 set up on mine. Buy a nice geared bike secondhand and sell off the gears/shifters then get a spacer kit and chain tensioner. Wiggle (UK online bike shop) has free delivery to AUS at the mo', no minimum spend, get the gear from them. Should get change from $700 if you start with somethimg like this Cannondale for sale locally. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south-gu ... 1013031358 You'll end up with a sub 8kg bike 4Shaw. Need more info on a n SS build, I'm all ears. :)

Here's another to look at. Very nice frame and wheels look good too. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/carine/b ... 1012454468
Last edited by MilkRacer on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
MilkRacer
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby MilkRacer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:42 pm

Here's a shot of the Cannnondale I recently built up. 1800km and all components have worked faultlessly. Full build less than $700 sans frame set (verge find,) thanks Chain Reaction Cyles, Wiggle and Evans Cycles. 50/16 tops out about 65 kmh, nice cadence at 25-35kmh. http://www.flickr.com/photos/24373111@N08/8244342980/
Image
User avatar
MilkRacer
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:44 pm

MilkRacer wrote:Just go the single speed route. You're right Perth is pretty flat. I get away with a 50/15 set up on mine. Buy a nice geared bike secondhand and sell off the gears/shifters then get a spacer kit and chain tensioner. Wiggle (UK online bike shop) has free delivery to AUS at the mo', no minimum spend, get the gear from them. Should get change from $700 if you start with somethimg like this Cannondale for sale locally. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south-gu ... 1013031358 You'll end up with a sub 8kg bike 4Shaw. Need more info on a n SS build, I'm all ears. :)


Hey cheers for that, someone else suggested a road bike with a chain tensioner, I was not sure If I wanted to go that route though (aesthetically). Are there any benefits for this method over the conventional single speed setup ?

That CAAD 10 is a bargain for $700, if it was a 54 I would strip it bare ;). I would probably lean towards a steel frame anyhow as I would prefer the extra weight for training.
Image
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
User avatar
sil3nt
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby MilkRacer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:56 pm

Benefits are the 'route' is cheaper, plenty of secondhand geared bikes, especially alloy models. Also the availability of cheap 'VERY GOOD QUALITY' 9/10 speed wheel sets, perfect for SS use with a nice spacer set from someone like Surley or VeloSolo (I have a mix of both with a VeloSolo 'tricolor' spacer set and a black Surley Singleator.
Image
User avatar
MilkRacer
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:12 pm

Mmm.. shame you' re not a 56cm... I have a Steamroller done in a two-pac flat Ford XR orange with black componetry that I just don't use.
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
User avatar
HappyHumber
 
Posts: 4178
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:48 pm
Location: Perth, (S.o.R.) W.A.

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:32 pm

I have a purple Resident Evil frame. Large ex Wiggle that I could be persuaded to sell if your interested. I doubt I will get around to building it up. I am in Perth
Xplora wrote: Do not get cheap SPDs, your body will hurt you.

trailgumby wrote:29ers are awesome.
User avatar
mitzikatzi
 
Posts: 1731
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Perth

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:37 pm

MilkRacer wrote:Benefits are the 'route' is cheaper, plenty of secondhand geared bikes, especially alloy models. Also the availability of cheap 'VERY GOOD QUALITY' 9/10 speed wheel sets, perfect for SS use with a nice spacer set from someone like Surley or VeloSolo (I have a mix of both with a VeloSolo 'tricolor' spacer set and a black Surley Singleator.


Yeah ok will have to investigate this option a bit further. I just need to get over the look of the singulator (Yeah I know I am obviously a bit finicky ;) )
Image
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
User avatar
sil3nt
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:39 pm

mitzikatzi wrote:I have a purple Resident Evil frame. Large ex Wiggle that I could be persuaded to sell if your interested. I doubt I will get around to building it up. I am in Perth


Hey mate appreciate the offer but a large frame would be way to big for my massive 5'7" stature ;)

I saw a Resident Evil frame on wiggle in that purple colour, looks like a nice frame.
Image
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
User avatar
sil3nt
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby MilkRacer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:58 pm

sil3nt wrote: I would probably lean towards a steel frame anyhow as I would prefer the extra weight for training.

For more of a workout just go more gear inches, 50/16 is 81" and that gives a pretty good workout, even on a sub 8KG bike.
Image
User avatar
MilkRacer
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:00 pm
Location: Perth

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:48 am

MilkRacer wrote:
sil3nt wrote: I would probably lean towards a steel frame anyhow as I would prefer the extra weight for training.

For more of a workout just go more gear inches, 50/16 is 81" and that gives a pretty good workout, even on a sub 8KG bike.


Thanks ill keep that in mind, as long as I don't blow a knee ill be happy :)
Image
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
User avatar
sil3nt
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:54 am

I can get this nice looking On-One Frame & fork landed in Perth for a reasonable price <$400.

http://m.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bi ... o-12-45736

Looks pretty much how I would set it up to :)

They are a UK company (pretty sure they are a sister company to Planet X). Frame has a nice finish be hard to say no really unless someone can talk me out of it ;)
Image
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
User avatar
sil3nt
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby HLC » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Cinelli Gazetta's are a nice frameset. If you can get em for $550.

But in saying that, $550 gets you a lot these days.

I would build up a frame with track ends. Give's you the option of riding fixed if you do so.

I ride 49/16 fixed/brakeless in Perth. As Milk racer says, tops out at about 65 - all my legs can manage spinning flat out anyway.
User avatar
HLC
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney.

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:42 pm

HLC wrote:Cinelli Gazetta's are a nice frameset. If you can get em for $550.

But in saying that, $550 gets you a lot these days.

I would build up a frame with track ends. Give's you the option of riding fixed if you do so.

I ride 49/16 fixed/brakeless in Perth. As Milk racer says, tops out at about 65 - all my legs can manage spinning flat out anyway.


Yeah I will definitely go a frame with Track Ends, I am open to suggestion on the gearing but I will be riding with a road drops and brakes ;) (Not brave enough to commute completely fixed, but I will get a wheel which a flip flop so I can muck around with it at a later date) I am thinking of going with the On-One frame (link in previous post).

What do you guy's recommend as a decent BB and Chainset ? I was looking at :

ChainSets :

Sugino RD2 Messenger
Miche Primato Advanced Track
Miche Primato Xpress Track
StrongLight Track
Token Alloy Track

BB's:
Sugino -not sure of the model
Miche Primato Track
Token TK867 Iso Square Cromo Axle Bottom Bracket
Image
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
User avatar
sil3nt
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:03 pm

Check out the collossi frames here http://www.gearbrisbane.com/catelogue/index.html if you are set on a custom build, or the completes for a tad over a $1k. Much better value as you can ride immediatley and upgrade as bit wear out.
BRLVR.v2
 
Posts: 725
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:33 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Check out the collossi frames here http://www.gearbrisbane.com/catelogue/index.html if you are set on a custom build, or the completes for a tad over a $1k. Much better value as you can ride immediatley and upgrade as bit wear out.


Hey thanks for this, there are some sweet frames on this site :)
Image
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
User avatar
sil3nt
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby AP81 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:06 pm

How much do you want to spend? How light does the bike need to be? Does it need to fit fenders?
Steel - is - real
AP81
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:24 am

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby mrgolf » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Wow! That site has heaps of cool frames. Nice.

Have you seen that Torpedo7 has Voodoo Maji frames and forks for about 220 on sale, up to 320? I built a bike for a mate using this frame and it is a nice piece of kit. Really nicely made. Should check that out for a good solid cheap start.
Image
mrgolf
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:32 pm

AP81 wrote:How much do you want to spend? How light does the bike need to be? Does it need to fit fenders?


Hey, thanks for replying. I am not aiming for a light bike given I want to improve my strength during the winter months and I like the look of thin steel tubing.

It does not need fenders but I do want bottle bosses, cost wise I was looking at trying to limit myself to around $1200 for the build.

Cheers
Image
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
User avatar
sil3nt
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:34 pm

mrgolf wrote:Wow! That site has heaps of cool frames. Nice.

Have you seen that Torpedo7 has Voodoo Maji frames and forks for about 220 on sale, up to 320? I built a bike for a mate using this frame and it is a nice piece of kit. Really nicely made. Should check that out for a good solid cheap start.


Hey Mrgolf, thanks I had a look at those frames on T7 they don't look to bad for the money I think I would prefer to go down the route of the On-One frames which I can get for around $330 with a steel fork.
Image
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
User avatar
sil3nt
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby mrgolf » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:57 pm

Cool. Is that with shipping? Might want to check that. I nearly bought one a few months back, but it was going to be a bit more with shipping.
Image
mrgolf
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby sil3nt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:07 pm

mrgolf wrote:Cool. Is that with shipping? Might want to check that. I nearly bought one a few months back, but it was going to be a bit more with shipping.


Hey MrGolf, They maybe discounted at the moment so with shipping it comes to $33x USD including shipping to Perth which is pretty decent as they are a nice looking frame :)
Image
Rides : Merida Reacto 907E & The SS Larry
User avatar
sil3nt
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Need some assistance on a SS Build or Base to build upon

Postby mrgolf » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Nice work. I was a bit put off by their freight costs, and then I found the norco. Looking forward to pics of your build.
Image
mrgolf
 
Posts: 994
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Next

Return to Fixed Gear/ Single Speed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit