Should I make a complaint?

damhooligan

Re: Should I make a complaint?

Postby damhooligan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:23 pm

il padrone wrote:Ahah. OK, check your local definitions. We have something like these in Victoria and they may be with a bike lane or independent. Called a bicycle storage area (also known as advance stop line sometimes) they have a a different definition and a sign is not required:
bicycle storage area means an area of a road before an intersection with traffic lights—
(a) that has painted on it one or more bicycle symbols;
and
(b) that is between two parallel stop lines, regardless of whether the lines are of equal length—
but does not include any stop line
So the green bit in the video is a bca??.
If thats the case the ute is also breaking the road rules .
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:30 pm

damhooligan wrote:
il padrone wrote:Ahah. OK, check your local definitions. We have something like these in Victoria and they may be with a bike lane or independent. Called a bicycle storage area (also known as advance stop line sometimes) they have a a different definition and a sign is not required:
bicycle storage area means an area of a road before an intersection with traffic lights—
(a) that has painted on it one or more bicycle symbols;
and
(b) that is between two parallel stop lines, regardless of whether the lines are of equal length—
but does not include any stop line
So the green bit in the video is a bca??.
If thats the case the ute is also breaking the road rules .
Sigh. No. Because (b) above isn't met. And in the qld rules, there is a 3rd condition which is that it has to open out from a bicycle lane, which also isn't met. Its just some green paint. A "bicycle awareness zone". Which means nothing except adds a scent of feel good factor with [normally] a whiff of danger.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:35 pm

il padrone wrote:
sumgy wrote:I hate to say it but a sign post does not automatically mean it is a bike lane any more than a painted picture of a bike means it is a bike lane.
Legally, the presence of the sign, together with the lane line is what delineates a bike lane. You can find it in your road rules.

This argument over 'shared lanes' is a red herring. Ultimately all bike lanes are shared lanes as drivers are allowed to travel in them for up to 50m to turn onto or off the road, and in some cases to park. There are very few 'bike-only' lanes about.
I agree with what you are saying, all traffic lanes and bike lanes are basically shared space.
To try to give any additional creedence to a bike lane that is signposted is what I am finding difficult to swallow.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:50 pm

The defining thing is that a bike lane is not space for people to drive cars and trucks for any significant distance. 50m max when entering/leaving the road, period. Otherwise it is bike space.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

roobab

Postby roobab » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 pm

Most bike lanes are a joke. I usually ignore them and ride outside the lane.
Bike lanes are a token effort and do much more harm then good. They are designed to kill riders.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:18 pm

il padrone wrote:The defining thing is that a bike lane is not space for people to drive cars and trucks for any significant distance. 50m max when entering/leaving the road, period. Otherwise it is bike space.
Unless you can park in it, like here. :mrgreen:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:21 pm

You only think this because our bike lanes are far too narrow and cluttered with parked cars. The Dutch do it so much better.

Last edited by il padrone on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm

sumgy wrote:Unless you can park in it, like here. :mrgreen:
But would people actually try to park in that bike lane? It seems to have virtually no street access to any properties and it seems to be simply a fast transit route :?
Mandatory helmet law?

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:29 pm

il padrone wrote:
sumgy wrote:Unless you can park in it, like here. :mrgreen:
But would people actually try to park in that bike lane? It seems to have virtually no street access to any properties and it seems to be simply a fast transit route :?
It is near my house.
Yep, they do.
They also park further down near the skate park despite the yellow line painted there.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:43 pm

il padrone wrote:You only think this because our bike lanes are far too narrow and cluttered with parked cars. The Dutch do it so much better.

I like this treatment, seperating turners from bikes. I assume bikes aren't right hooked by law?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:09 pm

I think this is one of the newer style of Dutch intersection treatments. I love it how the modification is carried out with no real reduction of space nor taking up more land space, just a reallocation of the intersection space utilisation. In the Netherlands bicycles are always regarded as the vulnerable user so it is expected that drivers will give them some space.
Mandatory helmet law?

KonaCommuter

Postby KonaCommuter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Thank you everyone for your input. You'll have to allow me some grace if I feel I was being subject to "victim blaming" by some of the comments. However I get where they were coming from and at the end of the day we all want to enjoy the ride sans drama / injury and we want our fellow cyclists to do so as well (hence the crankiness at NINJA's and the like)

Taking on board the consensus here, and opinions I gathered from others and throw in a mandatory cool down period (I think cooling down before any major activity is a sound strategy) ---- well all that taken into consideration I won't be going to the Police. I still feel I had a case though.

I did however call the company and left my number for them to get back to me. That didn't happen so I fired off an email using Oxfords template which can be found in Cycling Advocacy sub forum. Many thanks go out to Oxford for putting in the work and creating it.

Hello

I was involved in an incident with one of your drivers on Friday 1st February at approximately 1.30pm at the intersection of Buchanan Rd and Nudgee Road. The driver of your van (374-LGM) failed to give way and as a vulnerable road user this posed a significant hazard.

Quite clearly, this type of driving in addition to being dangerous and illegal, tends to comprimise any marketing that having your brand advertised on vehicles being driven in such a manner.

I'm still considering making a complaint to Queensland Police over the incident and as my video footage didn't capture the drivers face clearly I will refer them to you for that information.

I'd appreciate your assistance in helping to educate your employees and contractors that other people share the roads and have the right to do so without their safety being threatened.

You can view the footage here -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j1g6scsotM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards

A Brisbane Cyclist

I got back a speedy reply

Hi Kona,

Thank you for bring the below matter to our attention.

I have asked my Fleet Manager to speak to the Sub Contract driver concerned in the below incident and remind him of his obligations to be obey ALL road laws as well as being courteous on the roads.

I apologize for the dangerous manner in which the driver clearly showed.

Kind regards

NAME (and contact details) WITHELD

I'm extremely pleased with how this turned out. Especially considering how very angry I was on Friday, indeed all weekend.

Thanks to all that contributed. Your reward is a picture of my Gazelle - Please don't show it to those that are unworthy :P

2012 Oppy A4

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Well handled and great outcome :D

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:44 pm

KonaCommuter wrote:Thank you everyone for your input. You'll have to allow me some grace if I feel I was being subject to "victim blaming" by some of the comments. However I get where they were coming from and at the end of the day we all want to enjoy the ride sans drama / injury and we want our fellow cyclists to do so as well (hence the crankiness at NINJA's and the like)

Taking on board the consensus here, and opinions I gathered from others and throw in a mandatory cool down period (I think cooling down before any major activity is a sound strategy) ---- well all that taken into consideration I won't be going to the Police. I still feel I had a case though.

I did however call the company and left my number for them to get back to me. That didn't happen so I fired off an email using Oxfords template which can be found in Cycling Advocacy sub forum. Many thanks go out to Oxford for putting in the work and creating it.

I'm extremely pleased with how this turned out. Especially considering how very angry I was on Friday, indeed all weekend.
A great outcome you are pleased with and you didn't need to involve the police. Couldn't be better :-)
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel