Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

jacks1071

Re: Chinese carbon frame and wheels thread

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 am

usernameforme wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:Round spokes
nothing wrong with that, Sapim Race spokes, DT competition are quality spokes (note that this wheel uses "house-brand" spokes... they look like Pillar's to me, I've personally had good experiences with their spokes)
jacks1071 wrote:shallow box section rim

ala Mavic Ksyrium (yes that is apples to pears a bit...)
jacks1071 wrote:hubs and bearings of unknown quality
I might just be lucky, but the cheap hubs I've bought are pretty nice for the price (Bitex and Novatec) Nothing like Alchemy's or Tune hubs but they work. Not sure how lucky you'll get with those hubs though...
jacks1071 wrote:Don't think a 70kg rider won't break/buckle a flimsy wheel
FWIW: 75kg rider, same rim, 24/28 CX-Rays on Dati hubs, finds it flexy and is often popping spokes. into

For the record, I'm not trying to pick apart your post Jacks1071, just offering another viewpoint
Your not seriously comparing the rim in those photos to a Mavic? Other than the rim depth and maybe the hole count I can't see any similarities.

To make a 24mm rim into a strong wheel you need either really wide hub flanges, or lots of spokes, or re-enforcing on the rim like Shimano and Mavic use.

Any performance wheelset should have at a bare minimum bladed spokes.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:10 am

jacks1071 wrote: Your not seriously comparing the rim in those photos to a Mavic? Other than the rim depth and maybe the hole count I can't see any similarities.

To make a 24mm rim into a strong wheel you need either really wide hub flanges, or lots of spokes, or re-enforcing on the rim like Shimano and Mavic use.

No, I'm just saying that box section rims can work, given what you've just posted. I don't agree with the statement about bladed spokes though :?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:43 pm

usernameforme wrote:
jacks1071 wrote: Your not seriously comparing the rim in those photos to a Mavic? Other than the rim depth and maybe the hole count I can't see any similarities.

No, I'm just saying that box section rims can work, given what you've just posted. I don't agree with the statement about bladed spokes though :?
Name one "performance" factory wheelset that uses round spokes.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:49 am

Reynolds Attack, Assualt, Solitude & Strike, or would you not call these "performance" wheels?

I see what you mean about bladed spokes being not so common amongst factory wheels though... I can't think of any others

EDIT: Does oval count as round? I can think of plenty of performance wheels built with oval spokes...
Last edited by usernameforme on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southeastD

Postby southeastD » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:11 am

I went out on Sunday with a pair of Mavic Akysium Equipe. There was big head and cross winds, so strong it blew me off balance - I really thought I was going to hit the deck a couple of times. Against the cross winds, I could hear whistling noise coming from the wheels, wonder if this has something to do with the bladed spokes?

toppity

Postby toppity » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:18 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:
toppity wrote:you tend to get what you pay for I reckon (to some degree), even relatively speaking when talking about Chinese componentry. I'd be buggered if I'd put a set of $249 wheels under me.
Well my Aksiums were $200 new but they're just very heavy, if anything a lot more sturdy than a set of light wheels. So I guess the comment should be buggered if I'd put a set of $249 wheels that weigh under 1800 grams under me :P
you are spot on.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:03 am

southeastD wrote:I went out on Sunday with a pair of Mavic Akysium Equipe. There was big head and cross winds, so strong it blew me off balance - I really thought I was going to hit the deck a couple of times. Against the cross winds, I could hear whistling noise coming from the wheels, wonder if this has something to do with the bladed spokes?
I've also noticed a whistling noise from bladed spokes. Not sure why that is though...

In regards to being pushed around in the wind, bladed spokes have a larger surface area than a round spoke when the wind is coming from the side. So its likely that they are more effected by cross-winds than oval or round.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:14 am

This seller has a couple of the newer frames, wonder how the BMC copy rides?
Also a very close looking Venge.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:34 am

Crawf wrote:This seller has a couple of the newer frames, wonder how the BMC copy rides?
Also a very close looking Venge.
Now if only the BMC one had disc tabs, I'd be in like Flynn ....

Can't wait for other road disc bikes to start coming out.

The trickle hasn't started yet, and I'm waiting on my frame. Still. :?

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:52 pm

Love the "Costelo" name...

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:23 pm

usernameforme wrote:Reynolds Attack, Assualt, Solitude & Strike, or would you not call these "performance" wheels?

I see what you mean about bladed spokes being not so common amongst factory wheels though... I can't think of any others

EDIT: Does oval count as round? I can think of plenty of performance wheels built with oval spokes...
If I was buying some non Pro-Lite wheels, Reynolds wouldn't be on my list - good spotting though. They are a double butted spoke so quite thin in the middle.

I'm pretty sure everyone else went to bladed spokes sometime ago.

usernameforme

Postby usernameforme » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:05 pm

jacks1071 wrote: If I was buying some non Pro-Lite wheels, Reynolds wouldn't be on my list - good spotting though. They are a double butted spoke so quite thin in the middle.
may I ask why? Or do you mean you won't buy them because of the double butted spoke?
jacks1071 wrote:I'm pretty sure everyone else went to bladed spokes sometime ago.
true :? some custom builds still use them though

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Has anyone done a di2 build on a FM066 frame? I would also look to hear any reviews of this frame (I've seen the one on YouTube).

kylefoo

Postby kylefoo » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:50 am

ED(ceramic), Bitex hub 2:1ratio hubs are available. :D

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Just pulled the pin on a set of 58/88 wheels... high end Novatech hubs ( know nothing about them )... I suppose they are Novatech rims as well. Local wheel builder who is a good friend of an ex team mate and has built wheels for a couple of other team mates I know who are very happy with them.He was quoting 1325 grams for 50/50 combo... but I said I wasn't too worried about weight at the start of the season as the races are flat and windy and I want to win in breakaways :P ... hence 58/88. 24/28 spoke count... 500€.
Happy with that especially with him being local.
If they are good I will order a set of 38/38 climbing wheels pretty soon after to get me over the big hills which start for me in May :lol: .
Fingers crossed!.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Anyone had any experience with these?? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300668150774 ... 4714wt_906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if they are Knock off of a 3T Funda or the contracted manufacturer clearing old(legit) stock.
Thoughts on whether they are trustworthy?

Yoda junior

Postby Yoda junior » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:18 am

Hi,

For the FSC50-CM wheels, what colour Park Spoke Wrench is needed for the nipples? I assume it is Black? 0.127"?

Thanks

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Yoda junior wrote:Hi,

For the FSC50-CM wheels, what colour Park Spoke Wrench is needed for the nipples? I assume it is Black? 0.127"?

Thanks
3.25mm is most commonly used for 'modern' builds. If you'd go by the different colors manufacturers used then you'd be confused.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:51 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:Anyone had any experience with these?? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300668150774 ... 4714wt_906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if they are Knock off of a 3T Funda or the contracted manufacturer clearing old(legit) stock.
If they weren't knock offs they'd be triple the price - simples.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:49 am

Crawf wrote:
BRLVR.v2 wrote:Anyone had any experience with these?? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/300668150774 ... 4714wt_906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If they weren't knock offs they'd be triple the price - simples.
that was my thinking too, but thought I'd fish to see if anyone else had been tempted to try them .

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:55 am

I've been rolling around on various China carbon wheels for a while now and have always used the cork pads, as I had purchased a bulk qty.
I could never bring myself to spend $30+ on swisstop pads. But on the weekend I thrown on some of these and wow, the difference was like chalk and cheese.
Do yourself a favor and ditch the cork pads for these if you have them.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Crawf wrote:Do yourself a favor and ditch the cork pads for these if you have them.
These look the same as Farsport wheels ship with.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:28 am

winstonw wrote:
Crawf wrote:Do yourself a favor and ditch the cork pads for these if you have them.
These look the same as Farsport wheels ship with.
Maybe they are, but I only ever got the crappy cork ones :/

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Swiss stop yellow - I will commute 60km five days a week sun or thunder storm and they are miles better than the cork especially in the rain.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:37 pm

But cork won't heat up as badly - so unless you know what expoxy is in your rim, don't experiment. SwissStop yellow's are not compatible with all rims.

Not sure what the issue is, anyway. Cork pulls up fine for me even at my weight. If I had to brake harder, I suspect it's because I cocked something up badly, ie. didn't plan ahead. Although a mate of mine did manage to get his cork ones smoking. Then again, I lost 50% of the front set of Koolstop carbon specific pads with two hard stops in a race.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...