Purchasing first bike ($250-$300)

Cycler2505

Purchasing first bike ($250-$300)

Postby Cycler2505 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:12 am

I'm looking to purchase a road bike to ride around my local suburbs. My area is quite hilly so ill probably need one with gears.

Can anybody please give me there opinion on these Reid condor bikes? Im not sure if flat bar or drop bar would be better. Are these bikes any good for my budget?

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/bicycles/r ... Q59tHwaySM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/bicycles/f ... Q595nwaySM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or does anyone else have any suggestions for a good bike between $250-$300?

Ross

Re: Purchasing first bike ($250-$300)

Postby Ross » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:35 pm

The two bikes look very similar in spec with the only difference being the handlebars. You will need to ride both to determine which one suits your needs better.

Cycler2505

Postby Cycler2505 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:39 pm

Ross wrote:The two bikes look very similar in spec with the only difference being the handlebars. You will need to ride both to determine which one suits your needs better.
What about the bikes in general? Are they good quality and will they last? I'm leaning towards the flat bar.

Cycler2505

Postby Cycler2505 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Would this be a 'reasonable' option as well? I'm not sure how often I will cycle and if I will even like it that much, so perhaps buying a cheaper one to start off might save me money?

http://shop.kmart.com.au/product/southe ... ack/115020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are the Kmart ones reasonable? As long as it works I don't really care about the quality too much. I know its not ideal for most of you, but would it do the job for a beginner? Or are the Reid ones heaps better? I guess the Reid comes with a much better warranty and free servicing for 12 months.

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:53 pm

I got a decent Road Bike ofr $300, was used no doub't but its heaps better then getting a new bike worth $300.00

Hope that anwers your question.

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:24 pm

A used one could be an option but if you don't know what you are looking at you could buy something that is worn out and needs $300 or more worth of work to get it running smoothly again, as what happened to another person on this forum a few months back.

Don't buy a bike from K-mart or any other department store, they are rubbish.

The Reid bikes you linked too are very basic base models. They would be a good starting point I guess (better than K-mart ones) and if you decide you like cycling you can upgrade components or the complete bike at a later stage.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Interesting forks on the Reid bikes, "Shimano 2300". Can't say I've heard of them. :wink:

I'd avoid the K-mart bike, commonly referred to as a BSO. It may do the job for a while, but likely it will taint your riding experience. However some find them acceptable.

I'd get the Reid if I couldn't find anything acceptable secondhand for the price. Then again, if you have no idea what you are looking at with a secondhand bike then maybe you'll be better off with a Reid. I recommend you get the flat bar of the two models as the flat bar is easier to ride when beginning due to less movement of hands to change gears.

Cycler2505

Postby Cycler2505 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:01 pm

What sort of bikes would I be looking at second hand? I'm completely new to all of this so I have no idea whats good. Any particular brands and year of the bike I should be looking at?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:31 pm

Step one is to know your size. Do the fit calculator below, being careful about the measurements. If you want a flat bar, do the mountain bike verion as ideal frame length are different for road bikes and mountain/flat-bar bikes.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would be looking for an aluminium framed bike as they are better value. As for brands, it doesn't matter too much.

Also do a search of this site as these treads usually come up every week or so.

Cycler2505

Postby Cycler2505 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Nobody wrote:Step one is to know your size. Do the fit calculator below, being careful about the measurements. If you want a flat bar, do the mountain bike verion as ideal frame length are different for road bikes and mountain/flat-bar bikes.
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would be looking for an aluminium framed bike as they are better value. As for brands, it doesn't matter too much.

I see a lot of people with the Reid bikes and the warranty it comes with is good. If I ever have any trouble I can always take it back and have them look at it.

Second hand worries me a bit especially if it breaks down.

Does anyone else have any opinions on the Reid Condor bikes?

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 pm

Cycler2505 wrote:
Nobody wrote:Step one is to know your size. Do the fit calculator below, being careful about the measurements. If you want a flat bar, do the mountain bike verion as ideal frame length are different for road bikes and mountain/flat-bar bikes.

I see a lot of people with the Reid bikes and the warranty it comes with is good. If I ever have any trouble I can always take it back and have them look at it.

Each to their own, maybe go down to Reid cycles and ride the bike.
Then check online for used bikes and take a demo.
Buy the one you like, as far as used bikes are concerned, as long as you test and buy you'll be fine.

Cycler2505

Postby Cycler2505 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Are there absolutely any other places that sell reasonable quality bikes around my price range? Surely Reid Cycles isn't the only one.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:22 pm

Cycler2505 wrote:Are there absolutely any other places that sell reasonable quality bikes around my price range? Surely Reid Cycles isn't the only one.
You wouldn't happen to be qwerty45 from Whirlpool by any chance. All these questions (and answers) are awfully familiar...

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Cycler2505 wrote:Are there absolutely any other places that sell reasonable quality bikes around my price range? Surely Reid Cycles isn't the only one.
Not many. You are very close to BSO money so there aren't many Australian players in this price range. The only other two that come to mind are Cell and Cycling Deal.

nuttzo32

Postby nuttzo32 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:44 pm

Cycler2505 wrote:

I wouldn't advise getting the reid condor unless you are in a state that has a reid store that you can get to . You will find that the rims on that condor will probably be wobbly and out of true making it very hard to tighten the brakes to an acceptable position.

Unfortunately there will not be many options new in this price range but if the choice is between reid and kmart then avoid kmart at all costs.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:40 pm

<Mod Says: Reports have been noted - benefit of the doubt for now though I will look at 'rewriting' URLs so that the forum isn't used for SEO promotion>
Cycling is in my BNA