Cycling(?) sunscreen

twowheels

Cycling(?) sunscreen

Postby twowheels » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:19 pm

I came across a new sunscreen in Anaconda the other day. It is called DRI screen http://www.afn.com.au/dri-screen/ . It is touted as 'does not repel fish", but what interested me is that it also claims to be non-greasy. I'm interested to see how it goes when cycle commuting and going to meet someone. It also is labelled as SPF50 with 4 hours water resistance.

I'll let you all know what I think of it cycling wise. In the meantime does anyone have any sunscreens they recommend for the above situation (cycle commuting and going to meet someone) when you don't want to show up looking all greasy?

Red Rider

Re: Cycling(?) sunscreen

Postby Red Rider » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:38 pm

Cancer Council Active, SPF 30+, 4 hours water resistant. Not very oily, I don't notice its on.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Red Rider wrote:Cancer Council Active, SPF 30+, 4 hours water resistant. Not very oily, I don't notice its on.
+1 to the active version. Can even get a small refillable bottle for the jersey pocket
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 am

Coles branded sunscreen SPF 30+
Works a treat.
2010 BMC SLC01

newie

Postby newie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 am

The Cancer Council one is better than some of the others, but still has that slightly greasy feel that you get with nearly all sunscreens.
The two that I have come across that are almost completely non-greasy are Neutrogena Ultimate Sport and Sun Sense Daily Face.
Both kind of pricey though.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:19 pm

Banana Boat makes a spray-on SPF30. I've been using it since about September and have not burned once. It goes on very easily, lasts about 4-5 hours and is not at all oily or greasy. The only complaint I have is that the newer cans have a different top and they are harder to use.
My wife gave up using it because she could not physically operate the pump.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Pay attention everyone : If it says to reapply every two hours and you don't reapply it, you are likely INCREASING your chances of getting skin cancer. The sunscreen gets absorbed into the skin and releases free radicals & "reactive oxygen species" that damage DNA. To stop this you need to reapply after two hours to block the UV again, regardless of statements about "4 hours protection". No - I don't carry a bottle with me and reapply after two hours, I'm a risk taker in that regard, but don't say you haven't been warned.

If anyone knows of a "blockout"/"reflective" sunscreen (as opposed to "chemical") which doesn't need to be reapplied, I'd be very interested in knowing.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:14 pm

twizzle wrote:Pay attention everyone : If it says to reapply every two hours and you don't reapply it, you are likely INCREASING your chances of getting skin cancer. The sunscreen gets absorbed into the skin and releases free radicals & "reactive oxygen species" that damage DNA. To stop this you need to reapply after two hours to block the UV again, regardless of statements about "4 hours protection". .
Do you have a reference for this? I've never heard it before (and I work in a related area).

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:34 pm

I tried one of the mineral silica spray cancer council ones while I was out horse-riding every day during the peak sun periods over Christmas/New Year. It didn't seem greasy at all (and it was weird as it felt like I was applying water).

However I think I had an allergic reaction to it (I had been using it everyday on my face and neck for a week and had developed very itchy, very sore red parts on my neck that were getting worse and worse until I stopped using it and applied some dermal cream for about 7 days). You may not get the same reaction though.

I switched to Banana Boat sport 30+ and the allergic reaction didn't come back. Banana Boat is very greasy though so won't suit your purpose. I had some lovely non-greasy sunscreen that I used when playing water polo outdoors (they don't allow you to wear greasy sunscreen) and that was very good but I ran out and can't see that brand in the shops anymore (they may have re-badged their products). :(

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:54 pm

hannos wrote:Coles branded sunscreen SPF 30+
Works a treat.
I know a guy involved in the production of sunscreen (the company he works for makes a large % of sunscreens on the market in Australia, regardless of brand).

This is his recommendation as well.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:07 pm

Venus62 wrote:
twizzle wrote:Pay attention everyone : If it says to reapply every two hours and you don't reapply it, you are likely INCREASING your chances of getting skin cancer. The sunscreen gets absorbed into the skin and releases free radicals & "reactive oxygen species" that damage DNA. To stop this you need to reapply after two hours to block the UV again, regardless of statements about "4 hours protection". .
Do you have a reference for this? I've never heard it before (and I work in a related area).
An example. The wikipedia article on sunscreen also goes into a lot of detail.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:28 pm

twizzle wrote:
Venus62 wrote:
An example. The wikipedia article on sunscreen also goes into a lot of detail.
Thanks for that. I'll have to do some more reading.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:23 pm

I came across "Pharmacy choice dry touch" suncream in a chemist up in Townsville.. I'd been searching for it ever since. And finally found it online, which I ordered 5 tubes of.. not the cheapest cream out there, but the best I've come across. It dries on your skin in seconds!

http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au/produc ... pid=024674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here I was thinking I was the only person looking for non-greasy suncream?? The number of times I've gone looking for quick dry suncream and the chemist tries to sell me a bottle of olive oil :roll:

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:08 pm

vbplease wrote:I came across "Pharmacy choice dry touch" suncream in a chemist up in Townsville.. I'd been searching for it ever since. And finally found it online, which I ordered 5 tubes of.. not the cheapest cream out there, but the best I've come across. It dries on your skin in seconds!

http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au/produc ... pid=024674" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here I was thinking I was the only person looking for non-greasy suncream?? The number of times I've gone looking for quick dry suncream and the chemist tries to sell me a bottle of olive oil :roll:
Sounds good, nice price too

revinR1

Postby revinR1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:17 am

Banana Boat has one it only available in a small tube. Its called faces and its non greasy.I use it all the time mainly for work and you cant tell its on and my glassese dont slip over my nose like with other sunscreens

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:02 am

I use the Neutrogena Sports Spray Sunscreen, smells awesome and dry as hell!

snark

Postby snark » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:
hannos wrote:Coles branded sunscreen SPF 30+
Works a treat.
I know a guy involved in the production of sunscreen (the company he works for makes a large % of sunscreens on the market in Australia, regardless of brand).

This is his recommendation as well.
Up until December last year I would have agreed with this. When my previous pack of Coles sunscreen ran out, the replacement I bought was "runny", and I was getting a little mild sunburn after a couple of hours in the sun. I've since switched to Banana Boat Sports sunscreen and, while as Summernight notes it is a bit greasy, I'm more than happy with it.

Scarfy - you wouldn't be able to ask the sunscreen production guy if Coles changed their formula? :)

Cheers,
Simon.
Phil Liggett, TdF 2011, Alpe-d'Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow."

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:19 pm

I've recently been using le tan coconut 30+ and am pretty happy with it, I hate greasy sunscreens

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 pm

The store brand sunscreens are often manufactured by the same companies that manufacture the branded sunscreens and for general purpose applications I use the Woolie's Home Brand ones.

For cycling, where I'm sweating my things off, I use the Banana Boat Sports since I can sweat like a pig (i.e. like normal) and it stays put.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:59 pm

twowheels wrote:
vbplease wrote:I came across "Pharmacy choice dry touch" suncream in a chemist up in Townsville.. I'd been searching for it ever since. And finally found it online, which I ordered 5 tubes of.. not the cheapest cream out there, but the best I've come across. It dries on your skin in seconds!

Sounds good, nice price too
I bought a tube of "Pharmacy choice dry touch" sunscreen from a local pharmacy today. Just checked and active ingredients (including mg/g) and preservatives are all exactly the same as the Cancer Council Active sunscreen, Pharmacy Choice option much cheaper. Perhaps from same producer?

I did try the DRI Screen sunscreen on a ride the other day. It is dry as claimed, but $10 for 75ml, so I'll keep that one for fishing.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:14 pm

Aldi pump pack cheap as chips bulk bottle. I just smear it on and get out there. Haven't really thought about whether its greasy or not. It goes on quickly and easily and is not too viscous. That and the price is good enough for me.
I assume it works, I'm not getting burnt. Other than that FIIK.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:33 am

My biggest gripe with sunscreen is, it makes me sweat even more. :x

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:14 am

twowheels wrote:I bought a tube of "Pharmacy choice dry touch" sunscreen from a local pharmacy today. Just checked and active ingredients (including mg/g) and preservatives are all exactly the same as the Cancer Council Active sunscreen, Pharmacy Choice option much cheaper. Perhaps from same producer?
All proceeds from Cancer Council sunscreen sales stay in Australia to fund cancer research, prevention and support programs. That's worth the extra price.

gettingfit

Postby gettingfit » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:52 am

kunalraiker wrote:I use the Neutrogena Sports Spray Sunscreen, smells awesome and dry as hell!
+1

I'm a redhead so burn easily, and find a spray of this stuff and you don't know you've got it on and I've never come home from whatever I was doing burnt.

I also have very sensitive 'allergy eyes' so any hint of oils (ie from sunscreens on my forehead), sweat etc in my eyes and they sting like hell, but I've had no problems with this sunscreen at all.

Would never use anything else!

burger

Postby burger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:28 am

Red Rider wrote:
twowheels wrote:I bought a tube of "Pharmacy choice dry touch" sunscreen from a local pharmacy today. Just checked and active ingredients (including mg/g) and preservatives are all exactly the same as the Cancer Council Active sunscreen, Pharmacy Choice option much cheaper. Perhaps from same producer?
All proceeds from Cancer Council sunscreen sales stay in Australia to fund cancer research, prevention and support programs. That's worth the extra price.
AHM gives a rebate on Cancer Council goodies, so I use their sunscreen cos it works and its free!
Last edited by burger on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world is round, so what seems like the end may actually be the beginning.