Moron Motorists #3

hannos

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby hannos » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:04 pm

jasonc wrote:
hannos wrote:So really, how much time did he *save* by recklessly overtaking?
that's where I do the "squeeze your bike in front of their car and take off slowly" maneuver

I may have had a slgiht bit of trouble clipping in when the lights changed... :twisted:
2010 BMC SLC01

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:07 pm

jules21 wrote:
it's not about saving time, it's about getting in front of people. when i started driving, i was like that. then one day i decided "who cares" and gave up trying to "cleverly" squeeze ahead of everyone and everything. some people never get over it though.
+1 to that.

I was the same but came to the realisation that pushing ahead at all costs just doesn't really get you to your destination any quicker and is not worth the elevation to the blood pressure. Post cycle commuting and the issue is really highlighted as pointless and dangerous to other road users.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:28 pm

oh my, the GoPro ran flat before my 2 incidents :(

Penshurst. Woman sails on througha give way sign and I'm right beside her door. She continues on over a ped crossing while there are peds crossing it!

Bogan and his neanderthal mate yel something out their window as they drive past. I catch them at the next lights and lo! and Behold! their windows are up and they can't seem to hear me when I ask "I didn't catch what you said".
I do the legal thing and pass on the left and sit in front of them.
I turn into Gymea Bay Rd (shopping strip) and they sit on their horn. I duly ignore them. Then they fang past on the wrong side of double white lines AND a median strip just to get to the next red light before me...
So I uh... re-adjusted their mirror for them so they could see better...
2010 BMC SLC01

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 pm

hannos wrote:So I uh... re-adjusted their mirror for them so they could see better...
you selfish person, you.

next time make sure the GoPro is working :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Waiting outside Westfield Chermside at the lights on Kittyhawke Drive. Sitting in the right lane to turn right. Had been waiting at the lights for about 30 seconds with both turning and proceed lights red and then out of nowhere someone in a 4WD goes flying past in the left lane still doing ~50kph. Scared the crap out of me. If they were timing it they were still a good 15 seconds off from it going green :roll: :roll:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:51 pm

jules21 wrote:
hannos wrote:So I uh... re-adjusted their mirror for them so they could see better...
you selfish person, you.

next time make sure the GoPro is working :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: +'000s
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:25 pm

quite a few cyclists on sylvan rd tonight.
mr white ute driver could wait for one cyclist to overtake the cyclist in front of me (there were no cars coming the other way). so said ute driver is on the horn. he blasts past us all. best thing is, around the corner the usual traffic build up was there. so a number of us made sure he got a wave as we zoomed past.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Bonged the roof above his head ?? :twisted:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:43 pm

il padrone wrote:Bonged the roof above his head ?? :twisted:
no, just a pleasant wave from all.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Yeah, probably best. Wave and blow kisses - it really throws them aback :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:04 pm

il padrone wrote:Wast of time and breath, Jules. Haters gotta hate. Much better to just wave and blow kisses - it leaves you with a happy feeling of delight, rather than a frustrated seething cr#ppiness.
Actually, the best kiss to blow to this sort is a sorta wimpy gay kiss (Think in their terms of "faggoty" kiss) that the bogun will take as an afront to his masculinity. Makes them really steam. :twisted: I often use it for deliberate tailgaters who take offence as they pass me after if slow down down down right down until they back off or pass me.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

The Dude Abides

Postby The Dude Abides » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:18 pm

This moron needs definately needs a psych evaluation or a minimum of a licence test re-sit.

I still cant understand why the car could not move into the next lane to pass me while i was doing 65kmh down a hill in a 60 zone. :roll:

As you can see I was firmly in the lane ensuring vehicles should merge to the right hand lane to pass....solution, take up more of the lane.

This is approx 200m further down the road from the truck video pass that I have posted previously. This is the only area that I get buzzed...rediculous.

Do you reckon the cops would be interested in this or would be wasting their time. I would like to send them the video of these incidents to highlight what is happening out there, not necessarily for charges, but definately think these drivers should be warned officially and reprimanded.

Track all of your ride stats and keep them on your own computer.
http://www.prologcycling.com

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:26 pm

Seems that on that road with such clots you need to ride wider. Doing 65kmh in a 60 zone :shock: sit on the right hand side of the lane. You are entirely within the law to do this, on a multi-lane road.
The Dude Abides wrote:Do you reckon the cops would be interested in this or would be wasting their time. I would like to send them the video of these incidents to highlight what is happening out there, not necessarily for charges
With that speed showing on your instrument panel, the Police may turn and give you a ticket :shock: Maybe wait for another incident where you are below the speed limit and the tosser buzzes you.
Mandatory helmet law?

The Dude Abides

Postby The Dude Abides » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:33 pm

il padrone wrote:With that speed showing on your instrument panel, the Police may turn and give you a ticket :shock: Maybe wait for another incident where you are below the speed limit and the tosser buzzes you.
As it is a bit dangerous to look down to see what speed I am doing, I judge my speed on the traffic flow around me. I commute to work along this stretch nearly every day and I can normally get a feel for the speed and on this occasion I feel I was close to or just above 60. There were no cars immediately in front of me or in the lane beside me so I relied on my judgement. Just a smidgeon off.

You can see from the video that I would have been riding just to the inside of where a car's left wheel track would be running. Ill definately keep pushing a bit further into the lane.

Thanks for your response
Track all of your ride stats and keep them on your own computer.
http://www.prologcycling.com

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:36 pm

il padrone wrote:Seems that on that road with such clots you need to ride wider. Doing 65kmh in a 60 zone :shock: sit on the right hand side of the lane. You are entirely within the law to do this, on a multi-lane road.
70kph zone then 60kph to 40kph for the school at the top of the small climb IIRC.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 pm

hannos wrote:
jasonc wrote:
that's where I do the "squeeze your bike in front of their car and take off slowly" maneuver
I may have had a slight bit of trouble clipping in when the lights changed... :twisted:
I had a car zoom up behind me and stop at a red light I was waiting at today. I was in the middle of the left turn lane and going straight (keeping out of the way of the going straight cars) and when the arrow is green I vacate that spot and normally I take off before the left turners get going. Funny thing, after the guy makes a point of zooming up behind me at a red light, I had trouble clipping in too :D

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:21 pm

The Dude Abides wrote: You can see from the video that I would have been riding just to the inside of where a car's left wheel track would be running. Ill definately keep pushing a bit further into the lane.

Thanks for your response
Thats way too far to the left for that speed, you should be closer to the right wheel track.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 pm

Undertow wrote:
The Dude Abides wrote: You can see from the video that I would have been riding just to the inside of where a car's left wheel track would be running. Ill definately keep pushing a bit further into the lane.

Thanks for your response
Thats way too far to the left for that speed, you should be closer to the right wheel track.
+1. The guy thought you'd left him enough room. That's not an excuse for his actions, but drivers are very, very poor at judging gaps. My attitude is this: it is better to avoid tempting them to do something stupid.

Burn it to DVD and send it to the cops using Oxford's incident reporting template. Turning up in person is a waste of time, you're too easy to ignore/downplay/put off. OTOH, sending the report in writing with a DVD starts a paper trail that demands accountability. They can also attend to it during non-peak times in their shift, so it is more likely to be acted upon.

However, you'd better be prepared to go to court to back the cops acting on your behalf. If you're not prepared to do that, don't waste their time.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:24 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Undertow wrote:

Thanks for your response
+1. The guy thought you'd left him enough room. That's not an excuse for his actions, but drivers are very, very poor at judging gaps. My attitude is this: it is better to avoid tempting them to do something stupid.

Burn it to DVD and send it to the cops using Oxford's incident reporting template. Turning up in person is a waste of time, you're too easy to ignore/downplay/put off. OTOH, sending the report in writing with a DVD starts a paper trail that demands accountability. They can also attend to it during non-peak times in their shift, so it is more likely to be acted upon.

However, you'd better be prepared to go to court to back the cops acting on your behalf. If you're not prepared to do that, don't waste their time.
Can you remove the extra speed stuff on the side? If you are sending it to someone I would suggest you remove anything that could possibly make them turn around and go after you. Or be prepared to chip in a speeding ticket fine to the government coffers.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:39 pm

Summernight wrote: Can you remove the extra speed stuff on the side? If you are sending it to someone I would suggest you remove anything that could possibly make them turn around and go after you. Or be prepared to chip in a speeding ticket fine to the government coffers.
Thinking outside the square here but given that the camera speedo "probably" isn't calibrated regularly like police radar units and speedo's, etc how could they charge you for speeding on the basis of the video?

If they could, then you could argue that every single car that overtook the bike should be given a ticket too.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi,
Does this qualify as a moron motorist? Luckily we were going uphill so it wasn't a fast pass, just pissed at how little he moved over and how quickly he moved to the left before he was even passed me. ImageImage

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:14 pm

Just looking at it, seems to be a pretty narrow bit of road. He may have moved over as far as he could. The cut in looks to be too early, I hope he was not hauling a trailer too :shock:

Trucks fall into another category entirely, on account of their bulk, and their maneuverability and vision issues. I recall on a busy trucking route near Portland a truck passing us a good bit closer than that - probably less than 20cms. But I was not stressed. He'd been caught out with an oncoming truck on the two-lane highway, and he slowed to <40kmh to get past us, skilfully allowing us a safe margin given his low speed.
Mandatory helmet law?

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi,
There was no reason for him not to move over, perfectly straight road and you can see what's comming very easily and it's just grass on the right. And yes he had a trailer on to. I met another couple on another section of road, they were comming towards me as I was yet again starting another hill and they both models over and there speed and edges of the road were a lot worse than where he went past.
I sent an email to local council just to bring it to there attention.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Yes there was only grass, but what is in / under the grass? what happens if he blows a tyre or two from moving into the grass and loses control and hits you?
Would you then be complaining about truckies not driving on the road?

You yourself said it was a slow pass and the picture you posted seems to indicate there was a relatively good amount of space and that the driver did move across to accomodate you.
Since it was an uphill, could you not have moved off the road and waited for the truck to go by? You wanted him to go on the grass, maybe you should also consider doing this? fair is fair after all.
2010 BMC SLC01

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:13 pm

hannos wrote:Yes there was only grass, but what is in / under the grass? what happens if he blows a tyre or two from moving into the grass and loses control and hits you?
Would you then be complaining about truckies not driving on the road?

You yourself said it was a slow pass and the picture you posted seems to indicate there was a relatively good amount of space and that the driver did move across to accomodate you.
Since it was an uphill, could you not have moved off the road and waited for the truck to go by? You wanted him to go on the grass, maybe you should also consider doing this? fair is fair after all.
Aren't we suppose to share the road?

The other trucks i passed had no problem moving over.

So its ok for me to get punctures by having to go off the road?

I think his tyres are stronger than mine.

If he lost control at that speed he shouldn't have a licence.

But thanks for the intelligent comments.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2