How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Icky this morning. The GoPro froze before leaving home and I had a guy in a sports car rev his engine and zoom past like he was going to knock over any cyclists in his way (which I got out of the way for as I heard him coming), then after him I decided that I would deliberately ride on the right hand side of the left car wheel track (which I was doing already but no more Ms Nice Cyclist about it) and had a lady in a silver Mercedes/BMW drive so close to me that my elbow would have touched her car if I'd moved it. Lucky for her I didn't wobble when she zoomed past me as we would have hit if I had. She heard me shout at her as I saw her look in her rear-vision mirror (My shout was 'Don't'. I need to learn to say the correct thing in future to get the point across concisely. :roll: )

Then had another car come too close as they tried to pass although not as bad as the silver car. All of these things happened in the two block length between Hoddle St and the start of the Albert St green copenhagen lane. I don't like that stretch. I think I'll go back to being 10 minutes late for work with the nicer 10 minutes later peak hour car drivers as those 10 minutes seem to bring out the crazies.

So no footage to shame drivers with. :(
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

by BNA » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:22 pm

BNA
 

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby dynamictiger » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Summernight wrote:Icky this morning. The GoPro froze before leaving home and I had a guy in a sports car rev his engine and zoom past like he was going to knock over any cyclists in his way (which I got out of the way for as I heard him coming), then after him I decided that I would deliberately ride on the right hand side of the left car wheel track (which I was doing already but no more Ms Nice Cyclist about it) and had a lady in a silver Mercedes/BMW drive so close to me that my elbow would have touched her car if I'd moved it. Lucky for her I didn't wobble when she zoomed past me as we would have hit if I had. She heard me shout at her as I saw her look in her rear-vision mirror (My shout was 'Don't'. I need to learn to say the correct thing in future to get the point across concisely. :roll: )

Then had another car come too close as they tried to pass although not as bad as the silver car. All of these things happened in the two block length between Hoddle St and the start of the Albert St green copenhagen lane. I don't like that stretch. I think I'll go back to being 10 minutes late for work with the nicer 10 minutes later peak hour car drivers as those 10 minutes seem to bring out the crazies.

So no footage to shame drivers with. :(


Or get yourself a mannequin of Arnie to sit on your rack?
Image
dynamictiger
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: Victoria Park, WA

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:29 pm

dynamictiger wrote:Or get yourself a mannequin of Arnie to sit on your rack?


:) I'd need a rack first... And a heavy duty one at that for Mr Schwarzenegger. Maybe a life-size paper cut-out to strap to my back will do the trick. :P
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Summernight wrote:Icky this morning. The GoPro froze before leaving home ..... So no footage to shame drivers with. :(



you seem to be having lots of issues with your go pro?? have you gone to the company about it...any ideas whats causing it??

I have one and so far it has been great, any issues have been a result of owner
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:09 pm

gretaboy wrote:
Summernight wrote:Icky this morning. The GoPro froze before leaving home ..... So no footage to shame drivers with. :(



you seem to be having lots of issues with your go pro?? have you gone to the company about it...any ideas whats causing it??

I have one and so far it has been great, any issues have been a result of owner


Yes, freezing issues right out of the box direct from GoPro (received it mid-late January). All I did was press the 'on' button today... :roll:
I have lodged a support query with GoPro (although they say they are having a large volume of queries so may not get back to me for a while).

I haven't dropped it or run over it or anything and I believe I set it up correctly - my Garmin Edge 500 was also bought around the same time, works an absolute charm and I have had no problems with THAT. As far as I know I've done everything right with the GoPro and done the required upgrades. It is a bit frustrating.

Someone else on here has said they have had freezing issues when charging and that GoPro asked for the camera to be sent back.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Summernight wrote:
gretaboy wrote:
Summernight wrote:Icky this morning. The GoPro froze before leaving home ..... So no footage to shame drivers with. :(



you seem to be having lots of issues with your go pro?? have you gone to the company about it...any ideas whats causing it??

I have one and so far it has been great, any issues have been a result of owner


Yes, freezing issues right out of the box direct from GoPro (received it mid-late January). All I did was press the 'on' button today... :roll:
I have lodged a support query with GoPro (although they say they are having a large volume of queries so may not get back to me for a while).

I haven't dropped it or run over it or anything and I believe I set it up correctly - my Garmin Edge 500 was also bought around the same time, works an absolute charm and I have had no problems with THAT. As far as I know I've done everything right with the GoPro and done the required upgrades. It is a bit frustrating.

Someone else on here has said they have had freezing issues when charging and that GoPro asked for the camera to be sent back.


I have a hero 2....given the setup instructions I cant see how anythign with setup could cause freezing issues....so I really doubt it would be anything you have done. They are in a way pretty stupid things ie...you can only do so much setting up, cant access background files

Hopefully the gopro people will come through...for the money you pay you expect them too

it is a shame you havent been able to "enjoy" it as you should
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:30 pm

gretaboy wrote:I have a hero 2....given the setup instructions I cant see how anythign with setup could cause freezing issues....so I really doubt it would be anything you have done. They are in a way pretty stupid things ie...you can only do so much setting up, cant access background files

Hopefully the gopro people will come through...for the money you pay you expect them too

it is a shame you havent been able to "enjoy" it as you should


I have managed to get some interesting video like me jumping my horse over a few jumps using the chest mount which I tried on the weekend - although it was quite a task trying to pull the camera out of the chest mount to remove the battery and unfreeze it when my horse was being an idiot as his friends were leaving him to go relax in the paddock and he had more work to do showing off his skills for the on-board camera. :lol:

On the plus side it hasn't frozen when recording. So at least I know once it starts recording it won't randomly stop. I'll really like it when it starts behaving well.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:37 pm

Sumernight is the chestmount on you or the horse ? :D
Image
User avatar
find_bruce
 
Posts: 3572
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Adstar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Have just finished my 5th consecutive commute - up from one a week a month ago and aiming for at least 4 a week for the rest of the year. Feeling the burn now and enjoying the benefits I am getting as a result.

One near miss for the week and that was this afternoon when a lowered black BMW pumping out the doof doof invaded my personal space coming out of a roundabout close to the end of my commute. Little hit of adrenalin got me up off the seat and chasing - until it ran out about 50m later :)
Adstar
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby marinmomma » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:59 pm

In one word....wet! :evil:

Bike dirty yet again... :roll:
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby apollocreed » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 pm

Broke 5 PR's on strava. TZhought i would take it slow this morning. Apparantly not
apollocreed
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:28 am

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:40 pm

find_bruce wrote:Sumernight is the chestmount on you or the horse ? :D


Now that is an idea. He already has the straps on his chest that could be modified... Hmm :P

Uneventful commute home. Although you guessed it- the GoPro stopped recording a minute in and turned off (not a freeze though!). Although I think this time it was to do with writing files (I had been deleting the previous files prior to heading home) and I don't think I deleted everything and it had a blank moment as to what file was named what. It did display some image that isn't in the manual (a bicycle in a rectangle with a plus on the left.) Any ideas? :roll:
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:10 pm

marinmomma wrote:In one word....wet! :evil:

Bike dirty yet again... :roll:


had a half n half commute (half dry half wet). was at work later. had a quick wipe down of the bike.

met sven today - he rides with the retro riverloop guys on the weekend. nice guy with an amazing retro bike.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5621
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby oxonabike » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Summernight wrote:
Uneventful commute home. Although you guessed it- the GoPro stopped recording a minute in and turned off (not a freeze though!). Although I think this time it was to do with writing files (I had been deleting the previous files prior to heading home) and I don't think I deleted everything and it had a blank moment as to what file was named what. It did display some image that isn't in the manual (a bicycle in a rectangle with a plus on the left.) Any ideas? :roll:


Could be that the camera doesn't like finding bits of written data on your SD card after file deletions, ie: it needs continuous blank media to keep recording - does not cope with fragmentation. Only a theory but I find this to be the case on my EGO and need to format the card in the camera to overcome this. A full format via computer also works.
Image
User avatar
oxonabike
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:47 pm
Location: Cairns, QLD

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:50 am

double coot-tha commute with comedian. gave it an effort, no PR achieved :oops:

try try again
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5621
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby TailWind » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:00 am

Ride back via MYT, Banyule Trail etc. Pleasant day for the longer route.
Inbound into the Melb CBD via the Darebin Trail. Enjoyable conditions again.

Edit: MTBer showing me up descending the steps on the MYT at the Chandler Highway.
Image
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby gretaboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:17 am

nothing out of the ordinary this morning...legs are feeling it already, had mind battles about doing the extra k's due to overall tiredness and mild headwinds dont help
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:21 am

marinmomma wrote:In one word....wet! :evil:

Bike dirty yet again... :roll:


Same... a meeting ran late and didn't end up leaving the office till about 645. RIght into the middle of the downpour, which seemed to ease, just as i was pulling into home. Shoes were fully waterlogged within 5mins. Obscured vision most of the way, which was not much fun.

Although, Rule #9 does apply
Image
clydesmcdale
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:24 am

first ride to work in over 2 weeks, been very slack , feeling okies, nothing serious took it easy 15 mins late for work :) did do some velodrome training last night! so a little sore in the legs
Image
User avatar
poohkies
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am
Location: Brisbane Kenmore

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby poohkies » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:26 am

clydesmcdale wrote:
marinmomma wrote:In one word....wet! :evil:

Bike dirty yet again... :roll:


Same... a meeting ran late and didn't end up leaving the office till about 645. RIght into the middle of the downpour, which seemed to ease, just as i was pulling into home. Shoes were fully waterlogged within 5mins. Obscured vision most of the way, which was not much fun.

Although, Rule #9 does apply


Rule #9. // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

u need to remember Rule #5.
Image
User avatar
poohkies
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am
Location: Brisbane Kenmore

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Comedian » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:56 am

jasonc wrote:double coot-tha commute with comedian. gave it an effort, no PR achieved :oops:

try try again

Was good fun. No pr on the climb for me but still a respectable time. Slashed 3 minutes off my loop time though.

Nice day out!
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Image
User avatar
Comedian
 
Posts: 4401
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby eldavo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Monday night had first dog bite near miss by a Lassie crossbreed of all types... up the last steep hill before home. I rang bell a few times for woman who didn’t hear, dog off lead did, and when looking me over didn’t like my music over speakers as I rode around on the grass had a go at right ankle. I watched it spinning looked like it was lucky higher cadence and got around bite free, owner then called it back as I wasn’t travelling much faster than a jog. Just another example reinforcing my hatred for owners with dogs not on leads (also as an owner of two small dogs rarely seeing any well trained dogs off leads by majority of owners).
Next street I had to cross before home involved a girl/woman with a young Rottweiler pulling her towards me on the lead at least... Seem to be getting all my puncture blowouts and dog stats in early this year =P
Interested in those 808 cams for 2013...
eldavo
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:54 pm

TailWind wrote:Ride back via MYT, Banyule Trail etc. Pleasant day for the longer route.
Inbound into the Melb CBD via the Darebin Trail. Enjoyable conditions again.

Edit: MTBer showing me up descending the steps on the MYT at the Chandler Highway.
Image


Do you ride the stairs too or hop off? I haven't seen any cyclists attempt the Abbotsford stairs which are underneath the Gipps St(?) bridge MYT crossing although I only go running through there in the morning when most cyclists are going up them to work so they might do so in the evenings. :lol:

I think I've proven my belief regarding 10-minutes-later peak hour drivers - no problems this morning with the commute or the GoPro although I noticed a lot more cars stuck in traffic on Albert St/Lonsdale Street than usual- possibly due to that bat that killed itself on the signal wires yesterday morning and in doing so has killed the trains for two days. My PA was an hour and 15 minutes late to work this morning and another lady at work on the same line was an hour and a half late, not to mention it took them both around an hour to hour and a half more than usual getting home last night and they were also late yesterday morning. :roll:

oxonabike wrote:Could be that the camera doesn't like finding bits of written data on your SD card after file deletions, ie: it needs continuous blank media to keep recording - does not cope with fragmentation. Only a theory but I find this to be the case on my EGO and need to format the card in the camera to overcome this. A full format via computer also works.


Agreed. I was deleting on a Windows computer and it said there were no files left in the folder, but when I got home and used my Mac there were the 9 movie files still sitting there (but not the other 2 files that go with each movie). So I deleted these files before this morning's commute.

I attached the Battery Bacpac so we'll see whether it makes a difference to the freezing issue. Also GoPro Support sent through some instructions regarding resetting the GoPro and wiping the SD card to start again so we'll start that process and see whether there are any improvements.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Crawf » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:06 pm

To any Brisbanites that take a pre-work spin out to Nudgee, could you post up a commonly used route say from the CBD'ish, getting sick of the River Loop.
Crawf
 
Posts: 1647
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:20 pm

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Marto » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:34 pm

I've been trialing taking the back roads rather than Oxley Road since school went back. I've avoided 2 narrow lanes of congestion, with no room to filter the kilometers of stuck cars, and also the stressed out drivers on Oxley Road. The back roads add 1 kilometer and a few give way situations to my morning commute, but the cycling is far more relaxing. Surprisingly few motorists use these back roads, maybe due to some stretches with speed humps.

All up, a bit slower, but much more relaxing.
Image
User avatar
Marto
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 am
Location: Brisbane

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jules21, Summernight



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter