Want to try real MTB-ing, going Daisy Hill this weekend.

andylo

Want to try real MTB-ing, going Daisy Hill this weekend.

Postby andylo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi all,

Going to try the real MTBiking (I think they call it XC riding, is it?) at Daisy Hill this weekend in the early morning.

With no prior experience and consider anyone gotta start from somewhere, can you guys let me know what I need to get prepared before I am starting my adventure?

Thanks in advance.

m@

Re: Want to try real MTB-ing, going Daisy Hill this weekend.

Postby m@ » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Well, you'll need a mountain bike ;)

Not 100% sure this is what you're getting at, but I guess you need to think about what you'll wear, eat, drink and carry. A normal MTB session for me is anywhere from a few hours to half a day and I take a 2 or 3 litre hydration pack, a few bananas, muesli bars etc, two tubes, pump and multitool. I wear nicks and a jersey, sometimes an undershirt, and depending on weather might take a windproof vest or jacket.

A pump with pressure gauge is useful if you want to play around with tyre pressures; if driving I always throw my toolkit, track pump, shock pump, extra food and water and spare/normal clothes and shoes into the car.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

andylo

Postby andylo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Yes I do have a mountain bike (thank god! :mrgreen: )

I don't know if I can afford 1/2 a day but anywhere between 2-3 hours is not problem.

Good point re the water pack. I saw them in catchoftheday website but never thought of getting one. Might be worth while to check again :)

I don't have a tool box yet. I guess I can get myself a patch kit from Kmart. I got a alloy floor pump which I can leave it in the car.

brettels

Postby brettels » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Grab a copy of the trail map at the carpark, will give you an idea on where to go.

Also have a look at this link:

http://www.mtbdirt.com.au/qld-trails/vi ... ation-park
GT obsession......

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Take a friend too...
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 pm

andylo wrote:
I don't have a tool box yet. I guess I can get myself a patch kit from Kmart. I got a alloy floor pump which I can leave it in the car.
Andy, a spare tube will be quicker. The one you puncture can be repaired when you get home.

Oh, you'll need a pump with you, not back in the car.

Have fun! :smile:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Fully charged mobile phone is a must-have especially if riding alone. Leave the crappy ride recording apps off :x all they do is suck the juice from your battery so that when you really need it it's dead ;)

It will be a lot more enjoyable with a patient friend to show you around.

The advice provided above is good.

Oh, keep the carbs (gatorade etc) in your drink bottle... they'll turn your hydration pack bladder into an evul black mess :lol:

I carry both spare tube and patch kit. You can easily get more than one puncture

andylo

Postby andylo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks for the advices guys :)

At this stage I don't have any friend who are interest at XC riding so I guess I will have to go alone with a full charged mobile.

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:16 am

Worth checking out the hydro packs in the flesh before buying if you can; I have a Camelbak Lobo which while light is a bit small for longer rides, and surprisingly the bladder isn't as good as my Source brand bladder; Mountain Designs carries both brands so would be worth a look.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

andylo

Postby andylo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:24 pm

I see. I would have thought they are just generic OEM mass production with different label/brand on it :p

Thanks @m

Crittski

Postby Crittski » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:56 pm

if you dont have a friend to go with, I suggest you tag along on a shop ride with FortheRiders for your first trip, especially if you haven't done much trail riding...
Santa Cruz Blur TRc XTR
Volagi Liscio Ultegra

andylo

Postby andylo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:14 pm

I would have thought those guys would be on the more advance tracks/trails? I was only going to try the beginners one :p

poohbear

Postby poohbear » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:59 pm

andylo wrote:I would have thought those guys would be on the more advance tracks/trails? I was only going to try the beginners one :p
Hey Andy,

Its best if you tag along someone, especially for safety. I've been around daisy for a few times now so quite familiar, so if you want to go one day let me know as i'm very keen too :D
Just remember to be fit as it can be a challenge especially some of the climbs. :)

Give me a PM if you wanna go as i go weekly with a mate or two.

andylo

Postby andylo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi poohbear,

I have replied your PM with my contact details :) Thanks mate :)

andylo

Postby andylo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:26 pm

Ended up doing my virgin mountain ride at Karawatha park :)

I don't know how you guys would grade the difficulty there but for the uphill it was not too bad for me but I do need to use the granny gears :mrgreen:

I went up the hill from the south side of the park, to the top where I see a water dam lookalike building, then ride down on the tarmac road to Compton Road, then ride the normal road back to Calamvale.

It was a great fun and I shall do it again this Sunday :)

poohbear

Postby poohbear » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:42 pm

andylo wrote:Ended up doing my virgin mountain ride at Karawatha park :)

I don't know how you guys would grade the difficulty there but for the uphill it was not too bad for me but I do need to use the granny gears :mrgreen:

I went up the hill from the south side of the park, to the top where I see a water dam lookalike building, then ride down on the tarmac road to Compton Road, then ride the normal road back to Calamvale.

It was a great fun and I shall do it again this Sunday :)
any pics? haven't been there before, is it single trails or firetrails?

andylo

Postby andylo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 pm

Don't even know the difference between different trail type, care to explain?

andylo

Postby andylo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:03 am

Thanks poohbear to show me around the Toohey "small" track :) it does get me huffing and buffing :)

I will practise a little more on that track so next time I got 1/2 a chance to catch you up :)

poohbear

Postby poohbear » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:46 pm

andylo wrote:Thanks poohbear to show me around the Toohey "small" track :) it does get me huffing and buffing :)

I will practise a little more on that track so next time I got 1/2 a chance to catch you up :)
No worries, any time , we'll hit up daisy next time when the rain passes! otherwise it'll be muddy as..

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:17 pm

andylo wrote:Don't even know the difference between different trail type, care to explain?
Singletrack:

Fire trail

andylo

Postby andylo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks trailgumby :)

Which I like to extend my question - what is the difference in "strategy" to ride on these 2 different kind of tracks?

Karawatha was a fire track type, and the Toohey I went with poohbear yesterday morning was single track. The fire track is wider and I feel more comfortable that way. The single track is quite narrow should give me a bit of chill especially sharp corners has involved (for some reason I am not very good at turning...)

poohbear

Postby poohbear » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:16 am

andylo wrote:Thanks trailgumby :)

Which I like to extend my question - what is the difference in "strategy" to ride on these 2 different kind of tracks?

Karawatha was a fire track type, and the Toohey I went with poohbear yesterday morning was single track. The fire track is wider and I feel more comfortable that way. The single track is quite narrow should give me a bit of chill especially sharp corners has involved (for some reason I am not very good at turning...)
Toohey isn't single track, its still firetrail. Maybe the bush walking paths are single track but we never went on any of them since they are for Walking only :)

You'll get use to the single track , starting with slow and eventually you'll get used to it, for me i'm still learning how to corner faster as i'm still quite new to it as well .