5 reasons you should ride to work, and 5 you probably don't

wizdofaus

Re: 5 reasons you should ride to work, and 5 you probably do

Postby wizdofaus » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:29 pm

find_bruce wrote:
wizdofaus wrote:Updated the article to change the focus of that point - that even if there's space to build enough roads to reduce congestion, often there's simply not the budget for it.
To quote Mulger Bill quoting someone else, building roads to reduce congestion is like buying a bigger belt to cure obesity
If we were suffering bicycle congestion on bike paths would you consider more building bicycle pathways a reasonable response? ;-)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Dan wrote:
KenGS wrote:Bad news Dan. This is an internet forum. :lol:
Bad news Ken, I think you missed the irony. Mods, still waiting for the :Alanis: smiley...
This is the best I could do at short notice :P
If somebody with some skills wants to shrink and tidy it a bit more ...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:30 pm

wizdofaus wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
wizdofaus wrote:Updated the article to change the focus of that point - that even if there's space to build enough roads to reduce congestion, often there's simply not the budget for it.
To quote Mulger Bill quoting someone else, building roads to reduce congestion is like buying a bigger belt to cure obesity
If we were suffering bicycle congestion on bike paths would you consider more building bicycle pathways a reasonable response? ;-)
Of course it is, cycling does not cause obesity. :mrgreen:
Bigger beltways for cyclists NOW!

Thanks for properly attributing that quote for me Pete :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Dan

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Dan wrote:
Bad news Ken, I think you missed the irony. Mods, still waiting for the :Alanis: smiley...

HA!!!

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
Dan wrote:
What does Hercule Poirot have to do with it?
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:01 pm

KenGS wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
[img]<a%20class="vglnk"%20title="Link%20added%20by%20VigLink"%20target="_blank"%20rel="nofollow"%20href="http://i48.tinypic.com/kbcfw1.jpg[/img][/quote"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>i48</span><span>.</span><span>tinypic</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>kbcfw1</span><span>.</span><span>jpg</span><span>[/</span><span>img</span><span>][/</span><span>quote</span></a>]
What does Hercule Poirot have to do with it?
That's totally Salvador Dali.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:28 pm

Dali smili

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:33 pm

high_tea wrote:
KenGS wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:
That's totally Salvador Dali.
More surreal than ironic then?Image
Maybe if I was to append a fixie...
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:39 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
That looks more like Manuel smiley - "I am from Barcelona...."
Mandatory helmet law?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:56 pm

find_bruce wrote:To misquote Mulger Bill misquoting someone else, building roads to reduce congestion is like buying a bigger belt to cure obesity
Thanks IP I fixed that for me :)
wizdofaus wrote:If we were suffering bicycle congestion on bike paths would you consider more building bicycle pathways a reasonable response? ;-)
While I am tempted to laugh at the idea of bicycle congestion in Australia, it is a real issue in cities such as Amsterdam and Copenhagen.

Whether building more bicycle pathways is a reasonable response will depend entirely upon what is the cause of the congestion - eg one of the solutions in Copenhagen was the "green wave" of lights to increase the flow of bikes at 20 kph rather than stop, start.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:48 am

find_bruce wrote: While I am tempted to laugh at the idea of bicycle congestion in Australia, it is a real issue in cities such as Amsterdam and Copenhagen.
Actually you'd be surprised. I ride right through the city on my way to work now, and at peak hour you can easily miss a traffic light change for the number of bicycles queued up in front of you. And I can't move any quicker through that stretch of the journey than other cyclists that are much slower than me (but still much quicker than in a car).

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:31 am

From that video , it doesn't look necessary to wear lycra, so I can cross that off my list. :D Helmets off my list, Mudguards are on. Bit of an eye opener.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:12 am

outnabike wrote:From that video , it doesn't look necessary to wear lycra, so I can cross that off my list. :D Helmets off my list, Mudguards are on. Bit of an eye opener.
Funny, while I have nothing but admiration (and some jealousy) for the success of many European cities in encouraging cycling as a mainstream method of commuting - I almost feel like I wouldn't fit in there, because there are so few cyclists on the city roads and streets that do the whole road-bike/cleats/lycra thing, and personally for me, that's just a far more pleasurable (and practical) way of getting around.
In Melbourne there's actually a good mix of cyclists of all sorts. Just not enough of us.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:33 pm

wizdofaus wrote:
outnabike wrote:From that video , it doesn't look necessary to wear lycra, so I can cross that off my list. :D Helmets off my list, Mudguards are on. Bit of an eye opener.
Funny, while I have nothing but admiration (and some jealousy) for the success of many European cities in encouraging cycling as a mainstream method of commuting - I almost feel like I wouldn't fit in there, because there are so few cyclists on the city roads and streets that do the whole road-bike/cleats/lycra thing, and personally for me, that's just a far more pleasurable (and practical) way of getting around.
In Melbourne there's actually a good mix of cyclists of all sorts. Just not enough of us.

They are sure marching to the beat of a different drum. And It's nice to see all the bso's in lieu of the racing type bikes as well. If the common man hopped on a bike and joined the other cyclists we would have a greater presence on the road.
Different riding circumstances I know. My friends from Holland also ride step through's as well. Just working folk with no prejudices.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:51 pm

wizdofaus wrote:
Funny, while I have nothing but admiration (and some jealousy) for the success of many European cities in encouraging cycling as a mainstream method of commuting - I almost feel like I wouldn't fit in there, because there are so few cyclists on the city roads and streets that do the whole road-bike/cleats/lycra thing,
All the road racers will be out there, riding the roadsters for their commute. It is just what works and is so much easier to do, fitting in with the social and business infrastructure. On the weekend or after-hours they will get out their road bikes and cycling gear for racing or training.
Mandatory helmet law?

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:25 pm

outnabike wrote:And It's nice to see all the bso's in lieu of the racing type bikes as well.
It's a bit harsh to call them BSO's but it is nice to see people on functional town bikes
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Sorry, if you like them they are Ftb's....... If you don't like them, then they must be Bso's...... Just trying to get my terminology right. Or is it that because there are a lot of them that we can call them Ftb's
I am still trying to find where I fit in as I only have those uncommon Randonneur bars. :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:14 pm

find_bruce wrote:While I am tempted to laugh at the idea of bicycle congestion in Australia, it is a real issue in cities such as Amsterdam and Copenhagen.
Watching that vid made me think of a time machine...
H. G. Wells wrote:Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
London Boy 29/12/2011

skull

Postby skull » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:16 pm

wizdofaus wrote:I almost feel like I wouldn't fit in there, because there are so few cyclists on the city roads and streets that do the whole road-bike/cleats/lycra thing,
head out of the cities and join the bunch rides to get the lycra fix.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 pm

skull wrote:
wizdofaus wrote:I almost feel like I wouldn't fit in there, because there are so few cyclists on the city roads and streets that do the whole road-bike/cleats/lycra thing,
head out of the cities and join the bunch rides to get the lycra fix.
Of course, but it's how I get around the city too - I make trips between 10-30km almost every day, and certainly if I'm travelling 30 km on a hot day, I wouldn't want to do it in casual clothes on a commuter bike.
Anyway, it's on my bucket list to spend a year living in some European city with that sort of bicycle culture, so I'll get back to you in 5 or 10 years :-)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:03 pm

wizdofaus wrote:Of course, but it's how I get around the city too - I make trips between 10-30km almost every day,
30 kilometres in Copenhagen will take you well out into the surrounding countryside. :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:47 pm

il padrone wrote:
wizdofaus wrote:Of course, but it's how I get around the city too - I make trips between 10-30km almost every day,
30 kilometres in Copenhagen will take you well out into the surrounding countryside. :wink:
Actually that map suggests that the built-up extent of Copenhagen is pretty close to 30 km from one extreme to the other. And I gather in the Netherlands you could easily travel through 30 km or more of mostly contiguous urban areas, e.g. from The Hague to Rotterdam.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:30 am

Another article on SMH suggesting what could/should be done in Sydney, but won't due to vested interests:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/new-yorks-new ... 2e1da.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It would indeed help to get people more fit and it might improve the traffic. On my way in to work each day, I see heaps of space that could be converted into a great shared use path along Parramatta Road, and portions alongside it are already shared use in certain areas (around Five Dock if I remember right), which I didn't know until I started having to get along there each day in the last few weeks in the traffic.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:13 am

At some point I'd like to do at least one post about "success stories": cities from around the world that have significantly boosted cycling as a percentage of commuters over the last decade or so, with some stats showing the benefits. If anyone knows of any good resources, that'd be great. It's probably the first article I'd actually have to do some genuine research on! Is there at least one town/small city in Australia that would qualify?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:41 am

Darwin*.
Copenhagen.
Portland, Oregon.
Perhaps Bogota.

Many of the Chinese cities have gone in the reverse direction :(

*But that will put this in the MHL thread :|
Mandatory helmet law?