My bicycle is meant to have 700 x 35cc tyres...

fireballdon

My bicycle is meant to have 700 x 35cc tyres...

Postby fireballdon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm

but i have 700 x 32cc tyres. What are the repercussions? I bought a secondhand trek 7200 (2007 model) yesterday, as i'm just stating out cycling. the guy had the mentioned tyres on the bike, which i continued to use today.
anyway, i'm thinking of buying the right new tyres as well as some brakes. Because they seem to make noise (wondering if that's related to the wrong sized tyres too?)
The sound that the brakes make is a bit like a bus grinding to a halt. loud, not screeching as such.
Last edited by fireballdon on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

il padrone

Re: My bicycle is meant to have 700 x 35cc tyres...

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Don't bother, unless you plan to be touring with a load and riding gravel roads, or you're of a particularly solid build.

32 rather than 35 will give you a slightly lower gear range and mean you will need a few more psi in your tyres.

That is all.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:57 pm

fireballdon wrote:anyway, i'm thinking of buying the right new tyres as well as some brakes. Because they seem to make noise (wondering if that's related to the wrong sized tyres too?)
What kind of noise? A rubbing noise like a buzzing constantly when the wheel are turning? Or is it more like a squeal just when the brakes are applied?

If it is the buzzing then it could be a matter of pad adjustement on the V brakes.
If it is squealing when the brakes are applied, then it could be pad type selection.
If it more like a hissing when the brakes are applied, you may have to dig some bits of metal out of the pads. If it is this then I suggest getting Kool Stop brand pads which are more rim friendly.

fireballdon

Postby fireballdon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:05 pm

Nobody wrote:
fireballdon wrote:anyway, i'm thinking of buying the right new tyres as well as some brakes. Because they seem to make noise (wondering if that's related to the wrong sized tyres too?)
What kind of noise? A rubbing noise like a buzzing constantly when the wheel are turning? Or is it more like a squeal just when the brakes are applied?

If it is the buzzing then it could be a matter of pad adjustement on the V brakes.
If it is squealing when the brakes are applied, then it could be pad type selection.
If it more like a hissing when the brakes are applied, you may have to dig some bits of metal out of the pads. If it is this then I suggest getting Kool Stop brand pads which are more rim friendly.
the sound is a bit like a bus coming to a halt. very loud. not exactly screeching..
thanks for your help!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:21 pm

Toe-in may be your fix. Do you have v-brakes or cantilever brakes, or road bike dual-pivot brakes?

This tells you a bit about brake adjustment - toe-in (yaw angle) is what you particularly need. It is less of an issue with V-brakes with their very long pads. The usual way to set up cantilever brakes or road bike brakes is to place a credit card between the pad and the rim at the rear end of the pad, squeeze the brakes on and tighten the brake bolt to hold this angle.

A useful video on brake pad adjustment and another one covering final checks and toe-in setting.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

fireballdon

Postby fireballdon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:28 pm

il padrone wrote:Toe-in may be your fix. Do you have v-brakes or cantilever brakes, or road bike dual-pivot brakes?

[/url].
I have V brakes.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:06 pm

Sounds like squeal.

I've had a bit of experience with this recently.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 72&t=59879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you ride mainly in dry weather, I recommend trying either Lifeline Professional (two sets, 4 pads) or Kool Stop black pads (other colours have softer compound). My testing showed that LifeLine were better for squeal. That's assuming your brakes have pad holders and not solid single piece pads/blocks. If not (likely) then you'll need to get some. Both Lifeline and BBB do two sets of pad holders with pads for about $20 from Wiggle.