New Wheels....

Hughesy

New Wheels....

Postby Hughesy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi guys,

need your expert advice again....

I have my Specialized Tarmac Sport 6 months now and I am trying to tweak it to make it a little lighter/better...

So I thought I would upgrade the wheels....

The bike cost my over $2k so I was thinking around $500 for decent wheels???

I am just wondering if you:

1. think this is a good idea
2. can recommend any for around the price range or a little over/under...

initial thoughts are that "these" have a good price tag and review but I am out of my depth so please help.

any advise is welcome.

Hughesy

antipodean

Re: New Wheels....

Postby antipodean » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:38 pm

If you want light how about a set of these.

http://2013.bikesoul.com/s2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1295 grams

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:16 am

I'll beat jacks to it and say prolite's :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:52 am

jamesn184 wrote:I'll beat jacks to it and say prolite's :)
I saw this thread earlier and thought I'd leave it to him.

But +1 to the bracciano's

EDIT: It's worth noting that there are currently lots of deals e.g. probikekit have the ultegra 6700 wheelset for $330
I don't know how they compare to the Bracciano's

TDC

Postby TDC » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:24 am

jasonc wrote:
jamesn184 wrote:I'll beat jacks to it and say prolite's :)
I saw this thread earlier and thought I'd leave it to him.

But +1 to the bracciano's

EDIT: It's worth noting that there are currently lots of deals e.g. probikekit have the ultegra 6700 wheelset for $330
I don't know how they compare to the Bracciano's
Review of them in Bike Radar today,

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... t-13-46924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:52 pm

antipodean wrote:If you want light how about a set of these.

1295 grams
They look very nice but where can you get them and how much???

antipodean

Postby antipodean » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:58 pm

All the info is on that link, they come from Singapore and cost $530US delivered.

timbo

Postby timbo » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:10 pm

Hughesy, your bike has Shimano components, so the wheels you first thought about (Campagnolo Zonda's) won't be compatible with your Shimano groupset.
Are you desperate for a new wheelset, or are you just wondering. First thoughts would be different tyres, as this would make a difference if you find a good set of tyres, and if you still have money left over then a whole new wheelset could be an option. Be mindful that what is a good wheelset or just a new set of tyres has as many opinions as there are posters on the website.
I'd try a new lighter set of tyres first, but if your still desperate for more, go the whole wheelset, but keep in mind you will need tyres, tubes, rimtape and a cluster to make the wheelset complete.
Go ahead and spend what you are comfortable with, but keep in mind, if you leave it to us, we will spend your whole paypacket. That's what we are good at, spending other peoples money. :D
Let us know how you get on.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:52 pm

timbo wrote:That's what we are good at, spending other peoples money. :D
we sure are. give us half a budget and we can double it in 3 clicks.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:57 pm

timbo wrote:Hughesy, your bike has Shimano components, so the wheels you first thought about (Campagnolo Zonda's) won't be compatible with your Shimano groupset.
That's odd. I bought Campag Zonda's specifying the Shimano freehub option for my Specialized Roubaix. They even included the spacer needed to for a 10-speed cassette as the weehls are compatible with the new 11-speed Shimano.
I also considered the Braccianos but went with the Zondas just to annoy the purists by mixing Campag and Shimano. I also changed over to GP4000s as I had a set lying around,. They are lighter then the Espoir Sport tyres with their wire bead.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:06 pm

antipodean wrote:All the info is on that link, they come from Singapore and cost $530US delivered.
Thanks mate, sorry for being lazy i didn't even check the website.

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:23 pm

timbo wrote: Are you desperate for a new wheelset, or are you just wondering
not desperate... just had my b'day so have some cash and would like to make improvements to the bike... from reading here/magazines/other websites it seems that wheels are where most manufactures skimp on quality... hence why I suggested them but very open to ideas...
limbo wrote:go the whole wheelset, but keep in mind you will need tyres, tubes, rimtape and a cluster to make the wheelset complete.
that sounds expensive :-(
timbo wrote:I'd try a new lighter set of tyres first
I just bought a new tyre (I had a chunk of glass in the old one)... but just a cheap one to keep my going... what did you have in mind?

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:48 pm

1295 grams
Previously owned a set of S4.0s. Everything about them was horrible from the product itself to the rubbish service provided by Sean.

In short, within the first 6 months...

- wheels often flexed and rubbed on brake pads
- 3 snapped spokes.
- he blamed me for riding in the wet and didn't dry them properly. Say What?
- short unhelpful replies.
- last straw was him going on about his whole personal life, in response to my criticism about his product and services.

A search of the net will show a lot of happy customers, but also a lot of unhappy ones. Never again for me.
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:58 pm

Hughesy wrote:
not desperate... just had my b'day so have some cash and would like to make improvements to the bike... from reading here/magazines/other websites it seems that wheels are where most manufactures skimp on quality... hence why I suggested them but very open to ideas...
limbo wrote:go the whole wheelset, but keep in mind you will need tyres, tubes, rimtape and a cluster to make the wheelset complete.
I just bought a new tyre (I had a chunk of glass in the old one)... but just a cheap one to keep my going... what did you have in mind?
You can re-use your cassette & tyres etc unless you plan to have two sets of wheels setup ready to ride (which is nice).

I can supply Bracciano's setup ready to ride if that'd help you out. Can supply with the cassette, tyres and tubes all torqued up and ready to ride, just add air :-)
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:18 am

jacks1071 wrote:I can supply Bracciano's setup ready to ride if that'd help you out. Can supply with the cassette, tyres and tubes all torqued up and ready to ride, just add air :-)
air too expensive to supple these days Deon? :mrgreen:

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:01 am

NhiTrac wrote:

1295 grams
Previously owned a set of S4.0s. Everything about them was horrible from the product itself to the rubbish service provided by Sean.

- 3 snapped spokes.
- he blamed me for riding in the wet and didn't dry them properly. WT??
- last straw was him going on about his whole personal life, in response to my criticism about his product and services.

A search of the net will show a lot of happy customers, but also a lot of unhappy ones. Never again for me.
I'm another unhappy Soul customer. My experience wasn't as bad as NhiTrac's but I still wouldn't recommend them.

Firstly, there where several delays in the wheels being built in the first place with the expected date being revised back a few months in the process.

Initial impressions of the wheels where fine, finish wasn't top notch but they are a cheap wheelset so I was satisfied. However, within a few hundered kilometres my drivetrain started making some clicking noises as well as the occaisonal clunk. The noises where too intermittent and couldn't be replicated off the bike so I struggled to find the cause. They increased in frequency and then the freehub started having issues. After tough climbs it would lock on and not freewheel and at other times it would slip a little before engaging again. The wheel was less than a year old and around 5000km on it. While my wheels wheren't the 2.0 suggested in this thread they did have the same Prodigy V3 hubs.

Pulling it apart the freehub was a mess with chunks out of it and the area where the pawls joined the body misshaped and preventing free movement of the pawls. I sent photos to Sean and he sent a replacement however upon fitting the freehub body was catching on the star ratchet. I got a wheel to borrow while I sent the Soul back to be repaired/replaced. All my mystery noises disappeared. Meanwhile Sean repaired the wheel, saying he'd never seen a star ratchet in that condition but other than quesioning my weight, which at mid 70s he agreed would not be an issue, he could come up with no reasoning as to why it would be in such a state.

The repaired wheel lasted less than 50km before the first clunk and before long the intermittant clicking was back as well. At that point I decided it wasn't worth sending back again and decided on purchasing some new wheels and relegatting the Souls to an emergency spare set. While they may have lasted several thousand kilometres making the noises last time I didn't want to take the risk of heading down to the Alpine Classic and have the freehub start playing up halfway through the ride, or on any other 200+km Audax ride.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:47 pm

jasonc wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:I can supply Bracciano's setup ready to ride if that'd help you out. Can supply with the cassette, tyres and tubes all torqued up and ready to ride, just add air :-)
air too expensive to supple these days Deon? :mrgreen:
:-) Problem is the packaging is designed for wheels without tyres, if I pump them up too hard the box won't close.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

petal665

Postby petal665 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:06 pm

timbo wrote:Hughesy, your bike has Shimano components, so the wheels you first thought about (Campagnolo Zonda's) won't be compatible with your Shimano groupset.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cam ... t-ec028427" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/campagnolo-zond ... lset-2012/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.slanecycles.com/campagnolo-z ... 21963.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.this link is broken/Mode ... elID=88911" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Even the link in the OP shows the Shimano freehub option. :)

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:07 pm

Free hub takes all of two minutes to swap out.

You can ride Campy wheels with Shimano, just swap the hub and cluster.

I used to run MOst wheels on my Sram eqiupped Felt.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:18 pm

NhiTrac wrote:

1295 grams

- 3 snapped spokes.
- he blamed me for riding in the wet and didn't dry them properly. WT??

thanks for the heads up

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:18 pm

i know this is getting tedious, but i am another happy bracciano owner, they ride beautifully, are built extremely well and have excellent bearings. they are lighter and better built than wheelsets twice the price.

oh and they look AWESOME on my bike :lol:

Hughesy

Postby Hughesy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:54 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
Hughesy wrote:
You can re-use your cassette & tyres etc unless you plan to have two sets of wheels setup ready to ride (which is nice).

I can supply Bracciano's setup ready to ride if that'd help you out. Can supply with the cassette, tyres and tubes all torqued up and ready to ride, just add air :-)
thanks for your help Deon, can you give me a full price inc. Del please?

Also are you able to advise what the weight difference would be? Just so I know what I am paying for... Value for $ :-)

thanks.

PM me if you prefer.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:30 am

Hughesy wrote:
thanks for your help Deon, can you give me a full price inc. Del please?

Also are you able to advise what the weight difference would be? Just so I know what I am paying for... Value for $ :-)

thanks.

PM me if you prefer.
Sure.

Bracciano Wheelset $399
Ultegra 6700 cassette $75
Delivery to WA $33

Total: $507.00

Weight, for want of a better source your existing wheels according to this source are 2046g with rim tape

Reference: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/specia ... 61310.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bracciano is sub 1500g with rim tape.

The Tiagra cassette which I believe came on your bike is 310g if its a 12-28

An Ultegra cassette is 208g for an 11-23

Total weight saving should be approx 648g, more if you use lighter tyres then you have currently.

Pretty good for the budget :-)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:39 am

jacks1071 wrote:An Ultegra cassette is 208g for an 11-23
11-23 cassette - no so good for that hilly stuff

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:52 pm

jasonc wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:An Ultegra cassette is 208g for an 11-23
11-23 cassette - no so good for that hilly stuff
Its all relative depending on your weight, power output and how steep the hills are.

I couldn't find a weight on a different ratio online so used the 11-23 for my example :-)