Mt Macedon ride

wizdofaus

Mt Macedon ride

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:18 pm

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forum ... 16&t=25615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DoogleDave

Re: Mt Macedon ride

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:31 pm

Nice idea.
I put together a slightly different route HERE which would take riders through Woodend (should people want a break), then up Mt Macedon via the Woodend side - the easier side) and then descend the Gisborne side - the steep side) which then meanders through Barringo, which is a really nice quiet ride which leads back through Gisborne (for those that want another stop), then back to Sunbury.
This ride is just short of 100km's and would climb around the 1550m

Depending on when this ride is scheduled for I'd be interested in attending.

Also, those wanting a harder ride could do this route backwards, climbing Mt Macedon from the Gisborne side, meeting the other riders up at the cross (at the top of Mt Macedon) for the whole group to then return to Sunbury.

Just a couple of options for you to consider....

Cheers,
Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 pm

DoogleDave wrote:Nice idea.
I put together a slightly different route HERE which would take riders through Woodend (should people want a break), then up Mt Macedon via the Woodend side - the easier side) and then descend the Gisborne side - the steep side) which then meanders through Barringo, which is a really nice quiet ride which leads back through Gisborne (for those that want another stop), then back to Sunbury.
This ride is just short of 100km's and would climb around the 1550m

Depending on when this ride is scheduled for I'd be interested in attending.
Thanks for the suggestions (I've never ridden up there, so I have no particular preference, except the Sunbury station start, as I'd be catching a train there), which dates work for you?

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:58 pm

I'm riding the Ballarat Spokes Challenge on the 10 Feb so that weekend is out for me.
The following weekend may be OK but this will depend on family commitments (I have three kids), so I may need to play it by ear closer to the time.

If you get other people interested in joining you, choose a date that suits the majority and if I can make it I will.

Cheers,
Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

wizdofaus

Re: Mt Macedon ride (Feb 17)

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:13 pm

Ok well I'm happy to propose Sun Feb 17, meeting 8:30 at Sunbury station (first train gets in at 8:27).

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:12 pm

If I read me roster right, I'm nightshift on that date.

The climb up Riddell Rd to the tanks will test your patience, most smokeboxers hit the hill HARD.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:52 pm

Mulger bill wrote:If I read me roster right, I'm nightshift on that date.

The climb up Riddell Rd to the tanks will test your patience, most smokeboxers hit the hill HARD.
Smokeboxers? So much lingo to learn...so little time...

If you're keen to do the ride, the Saturday morning is definitely another option, and we could start sooner as the trains run a fair bit earlier. Be good to have at least 3 or 4 riders that would be able to stick more or less together. I somehow managed to clock 2h40 for my single attempt at the Mt Buffalo climb over the weekend, so I'm (perhaps foolishly!) expecting to take about 3h or so to do Mt Macedon as part of a 90-100km loop. If we started at 6:30 AM I could even get back in time for my 10:30 AM rowing training session at the Yarra sheds (I may be slightly insane).

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:10 pm

Smokeboxer=inhabitant of a wheeled metal cage. The pinch after the forested stretch west of Caterbury Ave is not long but will stretch cold legs. Smokeboxers hit it hard so they can be up to 95ish as they pass the tanks.

My roster hasn't been published yet but if it follows the nominal rotation I'll get home from work about 2315 on the Friday night, most likely will have to pass :( I don't think the best coffee in town is open that early either.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:46 pm

Alright, well let me know if there's a date/time that's definitely good for you - although I do have other commitments on Sat/Sun mornings (aforementioned rowing training), it's not a problem to skip them for a once off. Monday and Tuesday mornings are actually better for me, but figured it was unlikely that would be the case for others...

And I did suspect you were referring to our sworn arch-enemies on the road :-)

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 am

If it was on Mondays I'd be up for it or Fridays

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:02 am

Any other takers for a Monday morning? 4th, 11th or 18th? Again, probably looking at 6:30AM at Sunbury station, getting back certainly before 11.

wizdofaus

Mon 11/2, 7:30 AM Re: Mt Macedon ride

Postby wizdofaus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:51 am

So the only date I've managed to find that suits more than one rider is

Mon 11/2, 7:30 AM (AT) Sunbury station (there's a train that gets in at 7:24, assuming it's vaguely on time)

Any others free to join of course.

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:39 pm

Thanks jamesn184 - was a great ride, and choosing the Monday meant no traffic to deal with on the mountain! You sure know how to use your mass to surface area ratio well coming down those slopes ;-)

Now trying organize again for April with hopefully a much bigger group this time: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61358&p=921886#p921886" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those interested, due to a few navigational issues along the way, this is the route we ended up doing:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/172450610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamesn184

Postby jamesn184 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:36 pm

wizdofaus wrote:Thanks jamesn184 - was a great ride, and choosing the Monday meant no traffic to deal with on the mountain! You sure know how to use your mass to surface area ratio well coming down those slopes ;-)

Now trying organize again for April with hopefully a much bigger group this time: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61358&p=921886#p921886" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those interested, due to a few navigational issues along the way, this is the route we ended up doing:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/172450610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah we went a little off track a couple times.. the worst was turning left on gisborne rd instead of right :( going down that hill was fun but going back up it wasn't ! altho over taking a couple of car's on the decent down was funny.

Other wise was good riding with someone else to do the odd turn :)