STINGY or SMART? need road bike advice!

meetch

STINGY or SMART? need road bike advice!

Postby meetch » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:50 am

Hi guys,

I apologise if this has been covered before (if so maybe post a link to save the trouble?).. I'm looking for a decent enough road bike that wont 'break the bank' too much..
I'm looking for a bike with full 105 components, I have found REIDs falco elite to be by far the cheapest bike in this category ($869). When comparing this bike to Giants Defy(/TCR?), or the Trek equivalent these bikes look as though theyll set me back an extra $500+ odd.

So I was wondering what is the difference, and is it worth the extra price tag?

Thanks for your advice!!

Meetch

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: STINGY or SMART? need road bike advice!

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:49 am

You'll have to ride them to find out which one makes you smile more :wink:

No good saving even $10 if you hate the thing under your bum...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:14 am

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bik ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/bicycles/r ... RF7H_KdifM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although Reid have a compelling case on price, I don't think people are going to stop buying the Defy 1. Yes, many parts are Giant brand, but Giant are considered one of the best manufacturers of bikes in the world and make bikes for other brands. I would go as far to say that the Giant frameset and wheels are going to be better. Reid claim that the cassette and crankset are downgrades, but I'd say there is only going to be a slight weight penalty. I buy lower grade cassettes and cranks which work fine. I also own higher grade cranks (XT, 105) and really can't tell the difference in operation.

In the end, Reid are trying to have it both ways. They are trying to pushing higher spec components as better while offering a "comparable" no-name frameset in comparison to one of the best manufacturers in the world. I'd rather have a better frameset as components are easy to upgrade when worn out. You get what you pay for. I suggest ride both.

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 am

If you are happy to go no name for ~$1000 (and they have your size), why not carbon?

http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/cle ... -bike.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 am

Might get a run-out 2012 Malvern Star A5 for around your budget? Even a lightly used C5 might get you there for around $1.5k.

There's a reason the Defy is a big seller. Reputation is king.

Jim

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:11 am

If you want a small frame (like me) then keep an eye on the seat tube angles. The Verite above has a seat tube angle (STA) of 75 for a small frame. The same size Defy has is 74. Reid doesn't even have a geometry chart as far as I can see.

For every degree increase in STA, the saddle has to move back on the seatpost clamp ~1cm for the same position on the bike. This can be a problem for certain saddle and seatpost combinations.

For example, if you look at the Jamis Quest's geometry chart, you'll see a 54 has a STA of 73. That means when the saddle is in the same position on the bike relative to the bottom bracket, the 54cm ETT of the Jamis has the same effective reach as both the Giant and Verite, but you can move the saddle back 2cm further on the same seatpost than the Verite and 1cm further back than the Giant.

In other words, as the STA increases the seatpost offset needs to increase to compensate and the effective reach of the actual ETT gets shorter.
More:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 62&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:46 am

meetch wrote:I'm looking for a bike with full 105 components, I have found REIDs falco elite to be by far the cheapest bike in this category ($869). When comparing this bike to Giants Defy(/TCR?), or the Trek equivalent these bikes look as though theyll set me back an extra $500+ odd.
First off, Trek bikes tend to be overpriced and underspec'd. They'll advertise something as having a 105 groupset, but 90% of the time it'll have Tektro brakes, FSA cranks and Tiagra BB and cassette [the bits you don't see]. When compared to bikes from Giant at similar levels, Treks normally aren't a "smart" buy.

I'm not sure about the Reids. I don't like the finish on their frames. They're rough, but I guess they have to make money somehow. There are quite a few of them going around, so I guess that says something.

You need to go on some test rides. As mentioned above, no good saving $500 if the thing is going to sit in the shed unused because you don't like it.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:45 am

I'll give no name brand stuff or low end stuff a go from time to time, but only if its a small outlay. If its a big purchase I always go with known/named brands...

I wouldn't buy a Cherry or Great Wall over a Toyota or Subaru etc etc...

Maybe my loss but that's my thinking!
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

meetch

Postby meetch » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Great advice guys, thanks to everyone. Im headed overseas for 3 weeks in a few days. When I get back depending on the bank account Ill look at purchasing a bike, Ill be sure to take my time and have come to the conclusion that Id rather be 'safe than sorry' spend a bit of money on my first road bike once I have a little more knowledge and/or experience on what I like etc I can look for bargains.

Thanks again to all, very much appreciated.

Ill be sure to ask for more advice after a couple of test rides in a bit over a month.