Wear a bikesign

russell.bathard

Wear a bikesign

Postby russell.bathard » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:31 pm

If cyclists wear a large sign on their back this can be easily noticed by passing traffic.You can instruct them to keep well clear with signs designed to look like a road sign for maximum driver response.

You will be amazed at the result and increased safety this provides. Well tested for over 12 months. Choose from signs depicting; a 1m. clearance,KEEP CLEAR,arrow ------>,SHARE THE ROAD etc.

This is a
FULLY FREE IDEA

for you to use for your own safety. Forget what you look like - your life is important!
Protect yourself by preventing accidents before they happen.

For full information about this new safety initiative search google for bikesign.blogspot.com and see other signs for the back, bike or shorts etc. and action photos of its effectiveness.

Please pass this message on to other cyclists.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wear a bikesign

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:31 pm

As a follow up. This is a new member who is sharing his own initiative for increasing cyclists safety. Obviously he wants to promote this message and I have informed him of the Safe Cycling Australia 'One Metre Matters' (and Amy Gillet Foundation 'One Metre matters') initiatives.

Feel free to discuss the ideas and I trust we can encourge the original poster to become involved.
Cycling is in my BNA

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:37 pm

I tend to prefer to wear shirts and am a believer in the value of ordinary street clothing for many (most?) city cyclists

If people want to campaign for a cause, organise a public rally.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:03 am

Agree with padrone. My clothing choice and actions do more than a sign 'requesting' space on the road.

Also, it seems the combined efforts of road signage, flashing school zone signs, speed signs, obstruction warning signs, and safety announcement signage does not affect some drivers whatsoever. How would a sign on a shirt?

Jim

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:04 pm

Didn't some little moustachioed bloke in Germany insist on certain members of the community wearing special signs back in the late 1930s? That went well, didn't it?
Not my circus, not my monkeys

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Godwin's in four posts. Record.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:25 pm

Now looking at my post in a new light - "shirts", "cause", "public rally" puts it in a different context.

Maybe the OP's ideas for a bikesign were not what we thought :?: :lol:
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:44 pm

This is a
FULLY FREE IDEA
The shirts however will not be free.

Can't find any enthusiasm for those 1m signs. I think the whole "A metre matters" campaign is misguided. Yeah, having a car pass a metre away in 50kph city traffic is OK, but having a b-double pass on the highway at 100kph and only a metre away? No thanks.

The others - well if you want to look like a traffic sign that is fine, but not for me thanks...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:52 am

familyguy wrote:Godwin's in four posts. Record.
:lol: ... And it was as unexpected as the Spanish Inquisition...
gorilla monsoon wrote:Didn't some little moustachioed bloke in Germany insist on certain members of the community wearing special signs back in the late 1930s? That went well, didn't it?
Aha, but the difference here [pay attention 'cause this is the important bit] is that no-one is forcing you to wear one of these. It's a fine line, but an important one...
RonK wrote:The others - well if you want to look like a traffic sign that is fine, but not for me thanks...
I think the idea has merit, since most motorists comply with road signs... but their execution is lacking.

Puffy

Postby Puffy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:46 pm

There is a guy that rides with us who has a jersey that says "Please don't run me over". Trouble is, as it rides up his back.. it often says "Please run me over"! :mrgreen:

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:38 pm

Not technically Godwin's. He was only referenced, not specifically named.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:46 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:
Not technically Godwin's. He was only referenced, not specifically named.
Doesn't have to be.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:52 am

Can anybody point me to a widely accepted protocol for invoking Godwins or any of the other various interweb "laws"? My personal opinion is it is allowable if the reference is pertinent to the discussion otherwise trolls could drop the N word willy nilly into any discussion they didn't like as a way of shutting down debate. I'd really like to see some consistency on this...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Can anybody point me to a widely accepted protocol for invoking Godwins or any of the other various interweb "laws"? My personal opinion is it is allowable if the reference is pertinent to the discussion otherwise trolls could drop the N word willy nilly into any discussion they didn't like as a way of shutting down debate. I'd really like to see some consistency on this...
Who are you callin' a troll, Willis?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:19 pm

No one at all in this case Gorilla. I'm of the opinion that Godwins can and has been used by many as a way of stifling debate they aren't fond of, either by mentioning the short syphilitc Austrian at random OR by calling Godwins when the slightest but reasonable to the debate reference is made. I favour the concept of the rule but I'm trying to formulate a fair and logical way of dealing with it. The Wiki entry wasn't much help.

I'm also thinking of coining a "Mulgerbills Law" of safety discussions along similar lines: The moment an "OMGGGGGG, won't SOMEBODY please think of the children!!!" type post comes in it's game over :twisted:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Wikipedia has some good info... referencing Godwin's Law does have some implications for losing the argument as well.

It's a classic political correctness control mechanism - shut down the debate by attacking the man who claims the other is denying freedom. There are none so intolerant as those who claim to be more tolerant than another. :idea:

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:46 pm

Tolerance is as overrated as Wikipedia at times.

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:43 pm

brentono wrote:Image
Scarred for life. Just imagine what the kids at school do to the sign when he gets there. XP

russell.bathard

Postby russell.bathard » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:00 pm

To il padrone and family guy.Wearing a bikesign has a far greater safety value to cyclists than you could imagine.Do not dismiss this idea until you have actually tried it.
To RonK.It is the idea of wearing a bikesign I am pushing to save a few cyclists lives.Anybody is free to use this idea.If you are worried about cost, make your own.
To gorrila monsoon.You do not have to wear a bikesign if you don't want' to.I believe it provides greater, importantly, preventative safety, than the helmet which you do have to wear.
To Puffy.If your guy wears a bikesign like the triangular one shown in bikesign.blogspot.com with crossover straps on the front it will not ride up his back.
To Summernight.At least the kid has a chance to make it to school alive! Thanks for the photo.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:18 am

I disagree that a sign alone would work the wonders you tout, particularly if coupled with some of the behaviour seen by riders on public roads.

To wit, I offer a brief BBC item regarding body language:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/northwes ... rime.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There was a similar story undertaken with motion capture of three people (yes, I'm looking for it). Their gait, unadorned with bodies or features, was then shown to three men convicted of street robberies, who were asked 'who would you take down?' One was picked as a yes, despite being a male over 6 foot tall and approaching 120kg. One of the 'no' votes was a shorter woman.

What you do has quite a lot of bearing on how people perceive you. This includes how you act on a bicycle, and your perception by other road users.

Jim

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 am

brentono wrote:Image
Nice of your mother to do that for you.

russell.bathard

Postby russell.bathard » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:53 am

To family guy.Thanks for your comment.I can assure you a bikesign does improve your personal safety on the road.Over the last 12 months touring around Australia in mixed traffic from road trains to city traffic and covering some 20,000km, I have had no close encounters.Admittedly I ride very defensively. I rode with a large KEEP CLEAR sign on my back.Check out the unstaged action photos by googling bikesign.blogspot.com
I urge you to try a bikesign to experience its effectiveness then you will have some actual facts to support your conclusions.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:54 am

russell.bathard wrote:To RonK.It is the idea of wearing a bikesign I am pushing to save a few cyclists lives.Anybody is free to use this idea.If you are worried about cost, make your own.
Well, good luck with the marketing.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28 am

russell.bathard wrote:To family guy.Thanks for your comment.I can assure you a bikesign does improve your personal safety on the road.Over the last 12 months touring around Australia in mixed traffic from road trains to city traffic and covering some 20,000km, I have had no close encounters.Admittedly I ride very defensively. I rode with a large KEEP CLEAR sign on my back.Check out the unstaged action photos by googling bikesign.blogspot.com
I urge you to try a bikesign to experience its effectiveness then you will have some actual facts to support your conclusions.
For the past 35 years I've ridden a bike very happily without a bike sign. What I discovered on one summer tour to Mt Gambier and back in 1979 was the benefits of correct road placement and behaviour. With two mates we discovered 'The Wiggle' and how useful it was to persuade large semi-trailer drivers to overtake us safely. Each to their own but I see no need for a sign on my back to tell drivers I am a bicyclist. If they are close enough to read it they should have seen me long ago.

I would encourage you to ride much more like this:

Mandatory helmet law?