Holy showtime Batman - Lance to admit doping?

Marx

Re: Holy showtime Batman - Lance to admit doping?

Postby Marx » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:20 pm

LA should burn for what he did.
We all enter events & participate, so we all have the opportunity to cheat or work outside the rules for our own benefit.

Even if it just regarded as a witch hunt & hundreds of others 'get away with it', this needs to cut deep to put the fear of doubt into others in the future.

After all if people dont follow the rules, whats the point in doing anything really? You can just take what you want or say what you like.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:05 pm

rdwaltonut wrote:Thanks for that insight/document. I can now say that he is a cheater and does deserve to be banned. Not just for the fact that he did dope, but lied about it, and aggressively went after anyone who did call him a cheater. It pains me to admit that I admired him during his time in the light. But am glad that he has been brought to justice. One thing that I hope is that Oprah didn't pay him for his confession. He doesn't deserve to make another dollar in any way attributed to this travesty.
Fear not sibling, you are not alone. I was once a true believer and said so many times but then I started having doubts. Man it tears at the spirit to learn yet another God has feet of clay. Especially when he was so forthright that they were porcelain. :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Krank

Postby Krank » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Marx wrote:After all if people dont follow the rules, whats the point in doing anything really? You can just take what you want or say what you like.
in this case - money - all $150m worth............ 8)

krank

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:26 pm

Speaking of which - and let's not forget Lance said he lost $75m of sponsorship income in a day - I wondered about his finances and what he actually does have interests...

Bit of an expose here makes for interesting reading (eg I thought he had a bigger share of Trek) but does anyone have better info?

http://cavalierfc.tumblr.com/post/30489 ... -the-money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

rdwaltonut

Postby rdwaltonut » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:18 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
rdwaltonut wrote:Question. I thought I had heard about there being evidence, but I hadn't thought that it had come out publicly, so that everyone could see. I had heard about them having evidence, and then they stripped him of his medals. Is there a report about this release of evidence?
Wow. How long have you been incommunicado in the antarctic? :wink:
I have just moved to Australia in November, and before that, I never had television, just what was on at work. So i haven't been following it after they initially came out and stripped him of his medals.
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." -Yoda-

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:43 am

Here is an interesting article in the Guardian by Paul Kimmage:

A convincing 39 seconds, then back to the old Lance Armstrong

I agree with him. All of the confession was in the first 5 questions, and then the rest of the 2.5 hours was a failed attempt at damage control (and more lies).

Krank

Postby Krank » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:59 am

.. So much discussion for a single human being. First time I have ever seen this! :shock:

Krank

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Don't think he'll be getting this kind of airtime in the cooking and gardening forums 8)

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Krank wrote:.. So much discussion for a single human being. First time I have ever seen this! :shock:
Does that make him a superstar? :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 pm

rdwaltonut wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:
rdwaltonut wrote:Question. I thought I had heard about there being evidence, but I hadn't thought that it had come out publicly, so that everyone could see. I had heard about them having evidence, and then they stripped him of his medals. Is there a report about this release of evidence?
Wow. How long have you been incommunicado in the antarctic? :wink:
I have just moved to Australia in November, and before that, I never had television, just what was on at work. So i haven't been following it after they initially came out and stripped him of his medals.
No TV? That's a good thing. My wife and I got a small colour TV handed to use from the in-laws when we were about mid thirties. It has been downhill the way since!

Welcome to OZ. :D
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:43 am

An observation that a positive of the whole Lance Armstrong sage (not talking about doping) is this...

With his fight against cancer and founding Livestrong, this put "the fight against cancer" in the spotlight in association with cycling (I am still getting to the point).
What it has meant is that fighting cancer has become popular cause for charity rides. The Livestrong foundation can be criticised for not "fighting" cancer as many felt (yes it has high overheads and focusses on cancer support which is also valid) though the charity rides were see locally such as the Ride to Conquer Cancer and Tour de Cure have a stronger orientation to raising money to fight cancer.

While it is by no means a competition between good causes, has the profile of Cancer actually been increased because of Lance?

It doesn't excuse him for his ongoing lies and he has caused a lot of damage but it is possible that beyond his reach he is indirectly responsible for some goodness.
Cycling is in my BNA

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:27 am

AUbicycles wrote: While it is by no means a competition between good causes, has the profile of Cancer actually been increased because of Lance?

It doesn't excuse him for his ongoing lies and he has caused a lot of damage but it is possible that beyond his reach he is indirectly responsible for some goodness.
Locally, people like Glen McGrath have done a lot more to raise Cancer awareness as well as fund research that improves treatment etc., - without cheating anybody.

It's sometimes difficult to know how much of a charities fund-raising goes to the end-cause, but Livestrong has a record of doing very poorly in that regard - and that's another reason to discount the merit of Livestrong.

Livestrong has done some good, but there are more effective ways to attack cancer, and most of us would be better off funding cancer charities that don't have the questionable relationship of Livestrong and Armstrong.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:04 am

Sure, I wasn't covering Armstrongs own actions, moreso the rub-off effective where others set charity races and events to support cancer research - and whether this movement can (or can not) be loosely attributed to what Armstrong set in motion.
Cycling is in my BNA

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:03 am

AUbicycles wrote:While it is by no means a competition between good causes, has the profile of Cancer actually been increased because of Lance?
I also felt it was more about Hollywood type PR than funding for practical research and treatments. At the same time, have seen and read plenty of patients and carers' personal stories through LS material as well as private communications, ones that have been given empowerment over their disease. Is there value in that? I think so. Is it something I want to dish out my support in dollar term? Not at the top of the list.

Taking it in another angle. LS is more like a religion, one that gives cancer sufferers hope and confidence but without root cause treatment of their cancer.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:25 pm

SHOCK :shock: :shock: :shock:

LANCE ADMITS EVERYTHING

http://vimeo.com/58191312#

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:36 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... thats the longest part of the interview that I have watched... jeez looks like I missed all the fun :P

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:33 am

schroeds wrote:SHOCK :shock: :shock: :shock:

LANCE ADMITS EVERYTHING

http://vimeo.com/58191312#
:lol: :lol:
FPR Ragamuffin

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:00 am

Mark Webber has now ripped into Armstrong too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21240896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Webber doesn't hold back.

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 am

AUbicycles wrote:BNA Writeup: Lance Armstrong: I Deserve to Compete!
Leave town tonight, right now, and when you're gone, you STAY gone or you'll BE gone.
You lost all your L.A. privileges
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

ianK

Postby ianK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:48 pm

In regard to Armstrong's penalty, in my view, it is both fair and proportionate.

A few years ago I held the view that he almost certainly doped but that as pretty much everyone in the pro tour was also on the juice then it was a sort of level playing field.

I now hold a different view.

Drug taking for those at the top of the tree was an "almost" risk free decision. Forget about being caught, We now know that was risk free. The real risk was with the athletes health or indeed their life.

With access to the best doctors, monitoring equipment, and staff to assist, there was a very low risk of killing yourself using epo, testosterone etc etc. However, for those who were riding in the poorer teams or indeed trying to crack into the big time, and who had no such access to the best advice, it was a bit of a lottery when they doped. In 2003 - 04 alone there were seven young men who died, in all probability due to PED use. http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/39997062/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; There are of course the mothers and fathers, brothers, wives etc of those men who would no doubt continue to grieve.

What has this got to do with LA?

Clearly, he did not put the needle in their arm, nor did he push them to dope directly - as he is reported (but denied), doing to those in his team who rode with him.

No, what Armstrong, Johan Bruyneel and all those involved with Tailwind Sports are guilty of, apart from the doping itself, is that they raised the bar so high, with their elaborate and highly sophisticated doping regime that others with less resources felt compelled to roll the dice with the hope of some how keeping up. Some of those others drew the short straw and ended up in an early grave.

LA with US Postal was the major force in road cycling for the a big chunk of the nineties and beyond. What they did, how the conducted themselves, had a major influence on the sport itself and on every other team on the tour.

They ramped it up to the max, others followed, some died. In my view LA deserves every minute of his life ban.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 am

g-boaf wrote:Mark Webber has now ripped into Armstrong too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21240896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Webber doesn't hold back.
Cheers for that, absolutely a great read.

A few Q&A from the folk at cyclingnews.com

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lance-a ... -interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 pm

It's still going.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/im- ... 2dlyf.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Charlie Brooker's Lance Wipe (skip to 1:46)

:lol:

I particularly like the dignity joke at 5:23. Guilty! :lol:
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:42 pm

Lance Armstrong under Federal Criminal Investigation. It was always strange why Birotte stopped the earlier Federal investigation without reason (rumours he was pressured by some influential politicians including Clinton).

"Federal investigators are in the midst of an active criminal investigation of disgraced former Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong, ABC News has learned.

The revelation comes in stark contrast to statements made by the U.S. Attorney for Southern California, Andre Birotte, who addressed his own criminal inquiry of Armstrong for the first time publicly on Tuesday. Birotte's office spent nearly two years investigating Armstrong for crimes reportedly including drug distribution, fraud and conspiracy -- only to suddenly drop the case on the Friday before the Super Bowl last year.

Sources at the time said that agents had recommended an indictment and could not understand why the case was suddenly dropped.

Today, a high level source told ABC News, "Birotte does not speak for the federal government as a whole."

According to the source, who agreed to speak on the condition that his name and position were not used because of the sensitivity of the matter, "Agents are actively investigating Armstrong for obstruction, witness tampering and intimidation."

An email to an attorney for Armstrong was not immediately returned."

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=18415386

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:27 am

Oops. I just realised. The deadline that Pat MacQuaid of USADA declared for Armstrong to make full disclosure on what and who is today.

I assume that deadline will be missed.

MacQuaid stated that Armstrong had to make that disclosure by today or he would NEVER have the lifetime ban revised. Last chance and all that. (Though never is never quiet never.)
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle