To Ding or not to Ding

rdwaltonut

Re: To Ding or not to Ding

Postby rdwaltonut » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:11 pm

I ding every time I come across more than one person, or if a lone person doesn't have headphones in. If they do, I just go right by, because dinging then is pointless.
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." -Yoda-

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:51 pm

rdwaltonut wrote:I ding every time I come across more than one person, or if a lone person doesn't have headphones in. If they do, I just go right by, because dinging then is pointless.
Well... that covers about 99% of the encounters without having to move a hand. :wink: :|
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:56 pm

roller wrote:
hannos wrote:I don't have a bell on my bike.
but hang on, isn't that. . . . .against the law? :shock:

#givingALLcyclistsabadname

j/k :lol:
Actually... no, it's not. The legal requirement is under the Australian Road Rules. If you are not on a road, you are not breaking the law. Unless there's some local state/territory law with the same effect which covers shared pathways. Anyone know of any?

Doh!: Just reading now, but the shared pathways are covered by the ARR... but I can't recall any of the shared pathways I use having the legally required signage.
Last edited by twizzle on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:13 pm

The ARRs proper have no legal effect. State and territory legislation makes them law. How varies from state to state, I believe. At least in Qld, they do apply to bike paths. The legislation states that it applies to roads and road-related areas before going on to define road-related area to include bike paths. This is Part 2 Div 1. I expect other states achieve the same ends, but the means may well vary.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Yep - as mentioned in edit above, just realised that's where "shared pathways" are defined, but I don't recall ever seeing the specific signange that would legally mark them as such. Or do they just become footpaths at that point?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:23 pm

In Victoria a road-related area is any area designated for use by bicycles or animals. Make of that what you will.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Scarfy96

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:28 pm

I ride 3 different bikes, 2 have bells, one doesn't (obviously road bike).

My approach is if I have a bell I use it, if I don't I usually call "passing right". That said if single pedestrian who is well over to the left and I will be well over 1metre from them on the right them usually don't bother.

I don't recall every copping abuse from anyone, although I know plenty of people who have. Maybe I just sound friendly or I am lucky ;)

Marto

Postby Marto » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:37 pm

You could always use one of these:

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:41 pm

twizzle wrote:Yep - as mentioned in edit above, just realised that's where "shared pathways" are defined, but I don't recall ever seeing the specific signange that would legally mark them as such. Or do they just become footpaths at that point?
They just have to be an area that is not a road, open to the public and designated for use by cyclists or animals for the RRs to apply, at least in Qld.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Gotta love The Chaser :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:45 pm

Arrrggghhh! Now I know what to look for, they are all over the place! Not where I enter/leave them, but at various crossroads along the way, and well above where I look.

(Edit: Talking about the local version of the shared pathway signs.)

Sent from my iThingy...
Last edited by twizzle on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Yesterday's commute home. Note that this is a dedicated cycleway and not a shared path.

I noted the two blokes strolling into the cycleway as I rounded a curve and gave them a 'polite but insistent' ring with the bell. There was nothing else around, so wasn't unduly concerned about their presence, they only had to shuffle to one side a bit. Thing is, the gent on the right acknowledges the bell, then does precisely nothing... at first.

I tend to use the bell at first, and if no response, fall back on the vocal chords.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Couldn't quite make out what you said. Did you call "Incoming" ? Good idea - must remember that for the ignoramuses :mrgreen:
Mandatory helmet law?

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:36 pm

il padrone wrote:Couldn't quite make out what you said. Did you call "Incoming" ? Good idea - must remember that for the ignoramuses :mrgreen:
I wish! I think it was 'Cycleway there Gents' or similar. Nothing nasty though. :wink:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:01 am

Why do people insist on walking on bike paths? I just don't get it. It's not a shared path it is a bike path.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

ftssjk

Postby ftssjk » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:22 am

i heard 'mother effer ' in that video.

so whats the consensus?

i usually ding.. however when the person is right on the left and i have heaps of space i don't.
i feel like im announcing my presence.

or when i have to overtake someone quickly (as there is someone coming along the other way, i don't either as i know if i ding they will be unpredictable and stop or something which will make me collide with them.

years ago i had this speaker for my bike i got at K-mart or big w or target.
it was shaped like a shark and had a siren noise similar to that of a police car.

that would definitely get them to move into the 'left lane' eh?.

shame it weighed quite a bit. not really ideal for a road bike..

dougalh

Postby dougalh » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:35 am

To those people walking the wrong way down the road or even the PSP I miss them by as little as possible.
But other than that, to all law abiding citizens I give a holler and generally "BIKE" lets them know.

K2

Postby K2 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:26 am

dougalh wrote:To those people walking the wrong way down the road or even the PSP I miss them by as little as possible. .....
Good luck with that.

Time for a little cautionary tale perhaps?

These days I sport a rather noticeable and unsightly lump on my right shoulder. Actually it pretty much is my shoulder [Google subluxated ac joint if you like]. It often aches and I'm always worried it's going to give way again if I stress it. I wasn't trying to scare anyone or teach them a lesson...just attempting to pass three extremely large ladies and an intoxicated meathead spread almost entirely across a wide path. Was only going slow too as I'd come to a complete stop about 15m earlier to avoid a woman running out from between two white vans, and I'd noticed the meaty quartet as I restarted.

They showed no intention to make way as I approached. There was about a metre between the aforementioned chap and the gutter, and since I passed riding along the actual top of the gutter there was plenty of space.....or so I thought.

What I failed to account for was the unpredictability of other people. Mr Boofhead apparently thought it would be a great lark to step toward me just as I passed and leaned into me with his shoulder/elbow. The movement may have confused his beer addled brain or he may just have had a flashback to the footie field and allowed instinct to kick in.

Result:- Knocked down the gutter into an empty carspace, but still having my feet strapped in and having a strong aversion to falling off I tried to avoid the car parked in the next bay, the telephone post next to it, and the traffic rushing past on the other side by attempting to come back up the gutter asap. It was a reaction thing. I think 99% of my brain functions were involved in trying to process how I came to be there and the thought of braking and/or just laying it down didn't occur to me, which is strange because I'm not naturally optimistic. :(

Unfortunately it was a square gutter and I was right on it with no time to raise the front sufficiently from a seated position, so the front wheel jammed up against it and came to an abrupt halt whilst I continued on over the handlebars [bringing the bike with me since the straps still connected us] and landed on the tip of my shoulder. I can remember thinking not to try and break the fall with my arm as I'd likely break it, but my attempt to roll was severely hampered by the weight of the bike. Did I mention that you should look at the images for a subluxated ac joint....I still get quite queasy doing so.

Again, I was doing less than jogging pace, I'd seen the hazard well ahead and thought I'd addressed it, and they'd seen me, yet all it took was a little soft shoe shuffle and a nudge from one idiot to leave me with a permanent disfigurement.

You'll no doubt do whatever you'll do, but I hope you'll have a little rethink, even if it's just for the sake of your own fragility.

On the subject of bells - I can believe that some people get around dinging everything in sight with virtual immunity because my partner does so too. She doesn't ride much but whenever she does I make sure that she leads. She's only had one person get grumpy and a few totally disregard her warnings.

I otoh used to always ring as I approached and had about half take offence or disregard. The thought did occur that I could get a similar satisfaction rate by not doing anything at all [or wearing a mask with a pretty lady's face], but these days I try to gauge the best means. Those that seem to have their heads elsewhere or are totally blocking a path usually get a bell for starters. Those who seem to know where they are and what they're doing more often than not just get a verbal warning so as not to startle them. I pass all at less than jogging pace [even slower around kids and dogs] and regularly just ride along behind if they are oblivious or just being difficult until it is safe to pass [if I was in any sort of hurry I'd be on the road]. Anyone who doesn't abuse me or act erratically gets a heartfelt "Thank you" just as anyone not obviously avoiding my gaze as we come towards each other gets a "G'day" or "Howdy".

Still have people act strangely/panic/share their opinions with me, but that's folks for ya.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:11 am

K2 wrote:I otoh used to always ring as I approached and had about half take offence or disregard. The thought did occur that I could get a similar satisfaction rate by not doing anything at all [or wearing a mask with a pretty lady's face], but these days I try to gauge the best means.
Sad to hear about your nasty injury. Being lad up with an overlapping collar bone break I do really feel for you. People sure can be absolute ar$eholes.

Re the bell responses, you could get one of the big Lowrider or Electra bells, like this. They have a very mellow, two-tone, 'Avon-calling' style of ding that usually makes people smile. Won't really suit a road bike though :wink:

Mandatory helmet law?

igstar

Postby igstar » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:00 am

dougalh wrote:To those people walking the wrong way down the road or even the PSP I miss them by as little as possible.
But other than that, to all law abiding citizens I give a holler and generally "BIKE" lets them know.
If there is no footpath at the side of the rode, pedestrians are supposed to walk in the opposite direction to traffic flow.

VRE

Postby VRE » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:16 am

igstar wrote:
dougalh wrote:To those people walking the wrong way down the road or even the PSP I miss them by as little as possible.
If there is no footpath at the side of the rode, pedestrians are supposed to walk in the opposite direction to traffic flow.
Actually, Igor, the Victorian Road Safety Rules say pedestrians only have to do that if it's "practicable" to do it :) . See rule #238(2)(ab).

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:46 am

I don't have bells on any of my bikes, but i do the vast majority of my training on the road and avoid paths as much as possible. I can't remember ever having an issue passing pedestrians or cyclists on the path, I just slow down and let them know I'm there (unless their earphones are in) then I pass when it's safe. If I have to ride behind someone at walking pace then that's what I do, I do my fast riding on the road.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:59 am

Lately I've become a dinger mostly because I found small cheap bells with rubber band type mounts that will fit on any of my bikes. I bought one for each.

I only ding if I deem it necessary eg. shared paths that are footpath width and I'm approaching from behind. Then I usually say thanks as I'm rolling past at close to walking speed.

Previously I had only the AZ on my commuter and didn't use that for all but the most stupid/beligerant/deserving pedestrians. My commute involves equal parts shared path and roads so having both options works for me.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

arkle

Postby arkle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:32 am

That's just stupid. If they stumble or jump to avoid a snake or anything else and you hit them you run the risk of seriously injuring yourself and the pedestrian and given the comments you've made here the pedestrian would have a good case to sue you for riding without due care. It's all very well lying in hospital with concussion, a broken collar bone and two cracked scaphoids insisting that you had the right of way.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

Milar

Postby Milar » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Fantastic idea! Protest someone's foolishness by being MORE foolish, that will show them who's king! :roll: