Cyclist hit by truck Anzac Pde

Ross

Cyclist hit by truck Anzac Pde

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:23 am

I just rode through that same spot about 5 minutes earlier. :shock:

Hope it's no one from here and that they aren't too seriously injured.
Cyclist hit by truck in inner north

DateFebruary 6, 2013 - 8:04AM

A cyclist has been taken to hospital after being hit by a truck on Anzac Parade in Campbell.

The incident happened shortly after 7.30am near the intersection with Blamey Crescent.

ACT Ambulance crews treated one male patient, who has been transported to The Canberra Hospital with chest injuries. He is in a stable condition.

Police said southbound traffic has been affected by the incident, and advise motorists to avoid the area.
Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2K3ttbMsA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cp123

Re: Cyclist hit by truck Anzac Pde

Postby cp123 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:05 am

i heard it on the radio just before i was heading out. get well soon dude.

Poiter

Postby Poiter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:54 am

It was a Red Australia Post Van with a half wit driver.
Turned left over top of him.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:40 am

Was it a recumbant rider? I saw a few recumbants on Mt Pleasant earlier.

Poiter

Postby Poiter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Yes.
So what? The jerk in the Aust Post Van still ran him down without taking due care.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Poiter wrote:Yes.
So what?
Why so touchy? Seemed like an innocent question to me. Seen a few in the area, wondering if it might have been one...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Good heavens, hell hath frozen over :shock:
Canberra Times wrote:There were at least 174 on-road collisions between cyclists and motor vehicles in Canberra last year, equivalent to about three a week.

Territory and Municipal Services (TAMS) Minister Shane Rattenbury said he was distressed by the level of antagonism between the two groups in the capital, and pledged to lobby his Labor colleagues for learner-driver training to improve motorists’ awareness of people on bicycles
Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2K52YmEnG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:11 pm

trailgumby wrote:Good heavens, hell hath frozen over :shock:
Canberra Times wrote:There were at least 174 on-road collisions between cyclists and motor vehicles in Canberra last year, equivalent to about three a week.

Territory and Municipal Services (TAMS) Minister Shane Rattenbury said he was distressed by the level of antagonism between the two groups in the capital, and pledged to lobby his Labor colleagues for learner-driver training to improve motorists’ awareness of people on bicycles
Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2K52YmEnG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is that a core promise? :lol:

Wish that would be implemented Australia-wide.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Poiter wrote:Yes.
So what? The jerk in the Aust Post Van still ran him down without taking due care.
I take it then that the truck passed the 'bent and immediately turned?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:06 pm

Witnesses sought to cyclist collision in Campbell

Traffic has been nasty this week thanks to school being back in session, I've seen a couple of close calls for cyclists in the last few days as drivers seem more distracted/confused/impatient.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Yep - Civic was "quiet as" this morning, but the roads are horrible.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:03 pm

I've certainly noticed the difference between last week (school holidays) and this week (return to the MGIF at all costs brigade). :roll:

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:12 pm

Nearly got taken out on the GDE down onto Belconnen way, line of traffic back out onto GDE and people stopped in the on-road lane, I was turning right at the lights anyway, so I was using the right hand shoulder of the slip road, riding down the concrete gutter when a car ahead got close enough to the right turn lane so they pulled across the unbroken white line and blocked the shoulder... no indicator or anything useful like that. I yelled at her for crossing the unbroken white line. I'll call it 60/40 for negligence, she's just lucky I wasn't one of the motorbikes that do the same maneuver. Stupid road design, the on-road lane down there only allows you to turn left on Belconnen way.

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:30 pm

Must be the week for it... And to think my aim all along in getting my bike was to be able to ride my bike to work and avoid school traffic! Today was only the second time I've ridden to work.
Anyway, I posted earlier in the moron motorist thread about a bogan ute driver (as in it was a bogan ute - white, filthy, 1980s style), who I'm pretty sure was drunk, was driving all over the road up Northbourne avenue. Just after the Barton Highway turn off, he's nearly hit a car in the right lane, over corrected, and hammered straight through the cycling lane into a driveway (I think it's a driveway to the vet there... I've never even noticed that driveway before). 2 metres quicker and I would've been well knackered. He was that close. In the 7 hours since it happened, I've been racking my brain to think of a moment when I've ever been more scared for my life. I can't think of anything. And that includes a car-induced bike accident, and a recent car accident.

On topic - I just saw this story on the news update during the cricket. Looked and sounded horrific. Best wishes to old mate - and if he is here, try and check out the Win News footage. They've had no qualms showing your face in probably the most pain you've ever been in...

On recumbent - they are hard to see. You can be defensive and cranky, and slander the driver all you like. I'm going assume that this guy had a flag and everything - but if he doesnt? Well I just dont think the outrage is warranted.
Even when they do have a flag, I know driving a Forester with the bonnet shape and the slightly higher off the ground style, they are a pain in the nuts to see unless you see that flag, or unless you've seen the rider really early on. In peak hour traffic, its going to be hard to see them early on. When driving you just arent looking for a little orange flag.
I would never, ever ride a recumbent - certainly not during peak hour. This isnt any sort of reflection on the many in this city that ride recumbents, but for me? This mode of transport (cycling) is already dangerous enough for me in my limited experience that I'd never put myself a half a meter off the ground, below bonnet height for many cars, and feel as though I'm not going to be run over.

edit: only just realised it was 7.30 this morning... I'd assumed from the pictures I saw on the news update that it was afternoon.

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:25 am

trailgumby wrote:Good heavens, hell hath frozen over :shock:
Shane's a Green, so not too surprising. Now if Zed came out with something similar...

On' bents and visibility; surely that's a moot point when the driver has presumably approached and passed the cyclist travelling in the same direction... Sounds more like failure to judge relative speed or simple negligence to me.

Not sure if the cyclist was turning left, but I always claim the lane down Anzac. When I drove through at 8.30 the police had moved the remains of the bike onto the nature strip.

Hope the cyclist makes a full recovery. From the look of the bike, it could've been worse...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Bobbybobson

Postby Bobbybobson » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:56 pm

m@ wrote:Shane's a Green, so not too surprising. Now if Zed came out with something similar...
Exactly what I was thinking about Shane. Glad someone is looking out for sustainable transport.
Zed is no longer the Libs leader on account of running for the Senate.

welly

Postby welly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:54 pm

Had my first ever run in (literally) with a taxi the other week. Luckily for him he only knocked me with his wing mirror and I managed to catch up with him to give him some abuse. But I'm surprised he didn't hear the gasps of the people around who saw it. Am quite proud for it being my first impact after over 30 years of cycling though! :D

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Damn... it took me about 30 kilometres to have my first incident... and i sustained a 3-week injury from mine!

I'm glad you managed to catch up to him. In a town full of extremely rubbish drivers, it defies belief that cabbies are, in many cases, the worst of the lot. I'd love to know how they are licensed - I can't believe their driver training or testing is any more strenuous. Seems to me that all you need is a driver's license and a franchise (or a franchisee to hire you).

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:01 pm

what happened welly? could you go to the coppers too and ask for a TIN to be issued?