Video Camera who uses one?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video Camera who uses one?

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:46 pm

The problem with the K-Edge GoBig saddle rail mount is that it will prevent you from using a saddle bag. There may be exceptions such as if you run your saddle way back and have extra length or have a saddle bag that doesn't mopunt on the rails and will give you enough space (like a seatpost mounted saddleback - which may not be well suited for MTB).

Further back in the thread one of the posters ran a plastic gopro extension off the K-Edge which snapped... and with the plastic you loose the advantage of the alumnium K-Edge mounting that helps reduce vibration. It is a round-about solution though (use a lanyard).

For alternative seat post or seat stay mounting it is about DIY to get a solid solution.
Cycling is in my BNA

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:56 pm

trailgumby wrote:I've now got the Hero3 that I've been running on the helmet and chest mount, so looking to fit the Hero2 facing the rear.

I would prefer to retain the saddle bag under the seat, and ideally would like to fit the camera on the chain stay out of the way of wet weather rooster tails off the rear tyre.

K-Edge has a decent saddle rail clamp for the GoPro. Is there an extension available to get the camera clear of the bag? Any options for seat stay mounting?
I have the KEdge saddle mount and wanted to keep the saddle bag. So I used the GoPro plastic extensions. They snapped and I almost lost my camera. I searched quite extensively to find an alternative extension. There are none that I can find at I would trust.

The only alternative is to build one or choose between the saddle bag or the mount. I chose the mount and place the contents into my back pockets.

I'll probably try and build an extension next week though.
My YouTube http://goo.gl/UlJrkN Channel

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:51 pm

AUbicycles wrote:The problem with the K-Edge GoBig saddle rail mount is that it will prevent you from using a saddle bag. There may be exceptions such as if you run your saddle way back and have extra length or have a saddle bag that doesn't mopunt on the rails and will give you enough space (like a seatpost mounted saddleback - which may not be well suited for MTB).

Further back in the thread one of the posters ran a plastic gopro extension off the K-Edge which snapped... and with the plastic you loose the advantage of the alumnium K-Edge mounting that helps reduce vibration. It is a round-about solution though (use a lanyard).

For alternative seat post or seat stay mounting it is about DIY to get a solid solution.
If u run a fizik saddle u could use the ICS clip in bag, which puts it up and back out of the way, where the go pro should be far enough underneath to not have its field of shot obscured?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:56 am

Some sort of MacGyver with an angle bracket or suchlike off the rear skewer? IIRC, Graeme has done this with an 808.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:59 am

Mulger bill wrote:Some sort of MacGyver with an angle bracket or suchlike off the rear skewer? IIRC, Graeme has done this with an 808.
I have done some for the GoPro as well, take a look in the DIY Mounts. I have one there that mounts the GoPro to the rear Quick Release using two small L brackets available from bunnings. Being down low on the quick release gives a nice view I think.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:21 pm

U could use this skewer mount as sold by TC

http://torontocycles.com/Selling/Cycling_Computers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:09 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:U could use this skewer mount as sold by TC

http://torontocycles.com/Selling/Cycling_Computers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would suggest there would be a lot of wheel in the video shot. The other problem I see is being able to connect a wire/line to your camera in case the mount broke. It would most likely get caught in the wheel and something would be break.

It would also be interesting to see what the vibration would be like.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Boognoss wrote:
ozzymac wrote:
What type of handlebar mount are you using?

If its the gopro plastic one make sure you attach a lanyard or something to your camera as they have a tendency to break. Also the K-Edge mount helps heaps with the wavey aspects you are seeing, also check your settings.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2
+1. I've had a plastic mount snap after a month (only had the GoPro for a month give or take).

K-Edge mounts on order.
K-Edge mounts arrived at work today finally (US-based Ebay seller using USPS). Mounted and ready to go for the ride home.

I have yet to decide whether I'll go bar mount and helmet mount, or bar and some kind of rear mount. I don't have any rear mounts yet so bar and helmet to start with tomorrow at least.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:12 am

Observation of battery life on the GoPro Hero3 Black vs the Hero3 White.

I've had the Black since mid-Dec and am lucky to get 90 mins out of the battery a fairly modest settings (1080p / 30 fps / Protune off). Usually 70ish mins. I received the White this week.

Today I ran both cameras for the first time. At the end of my 65min commute both were still running but the Black had no battery bars left, while the White had 2 out of 3 left. Granted the battery for the White has had 2 cycles vs 20-ish in the Black but it's a big difference.

I'll do a full runtime test of the White when I do a longer weekend ride.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:38 am

Boognoss wrote:Observation of battery life on the GoPro Hero3 Black vs the Hero3 White.

I've had the Black since mid-Dec and am lucky to get 90 mins out of the battery a fairly modest settings (1080p / 30 fps / Protune off). Usually 70ish mins. I received the White this week.

Today I ran both cameras for the first time. At the end of my 65min commute both were still running but the Black had no battery bars left, while the White had 2 out of 3 left. Granted the battery for the White has had 2 cycles vs 20-ish in the Black but it's a big difference.

I'm not wanting to point out the obvious but I thought I'd ask anyway. Have you turned the wireless off on the black?

Also, is it definitely fully charged when you charge it? Mine crashes during the charging process and I have to remove and reinsert the battery for it to continue charging. GoPro have asked me to send it back.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 am

darkelf921 wrote:
Boognoss wrote:Observation of battery life on the GoPro Hero3 Black vs the Hero3 White.

I'm not wanting to point out the obvious but I thought I'd ask anyway. Have you turned the wireless off on the black?

Also, is it definitely fully charged when you charge it? Mine crashes during the charging process and I have to remove and reinsert the battery for it to continue charging. GoPro have asked me to send it back.
Yep, I don't have wifi enabled on either. I don't charge in the camera, I have a 3rd party charger that I use.

Have you had any success with the wifi remote? I played with it when I first got the Black but it lost sync at some point consistently. It kept showing the status of the camera but the buttons didn't work...... Bugs bugs bugs.

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:54 am

Boognoss wrote:
darkelf921 wrote:

Yep, I don't have wifi enabled on either. I don't charge in the camera, I have a 3rd party charger that I use.

Have you had any success with the wifi remote? I played with it when I first got the Black but it lost sync at some point consistently. It kept showing the status of the camera but the buttons didn't work...... Bugs bugs bugs.
I use both the PC and a third party charger. The problem is with the GoPro itself, when being charged. It is a common fault.

I've not used wifi at all. It sits on my helmet and records the whole time :-)

Have you upgraded the firmware on the camera?

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:23 am

darkelf921 wrote:
I use both the PC and a third party charger. The problem is with the GoPro itself, when being charged. It is a common fault.

I've not used wifi at all. It sits on my helmet and records the whole time :-)

Have you upgraded the firmware on the camera?
You mean you plug in the camera to either the PC or charger with the battery in it to charge? I have a separate charger that charges the battery alone so that rules out the charging circuitry in the cam itself.
I have upgraded the firmware in the Black with the Dec 15th version and the White with whatever is current after I received it this week.

I use the camera to record the whole time too, so the buggy wifi/remote isn't an issue (but it's something I paid for so it would be nice to have the option, etc, etc).

Hopefully new firmware whenever it's released will fix everything in one go. Wishful thinking ;).

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:52 pm

I had another freeze episode this morning - turned the Hero 3 on just before heading out on my commute although I didn't start recording for a few minutes. The camera automatically turned off as I'd set it to do after 60 seconds. Well, when I go to turn it on just as I head off it freezes on the video start up screen and I didn't have time to muck around opening the housing and pulling out the battery to unfreeze it.

Which was actually really annoying today because I was passed within an elbow's distance by two cars in the space of a couple of minutes on the one stretch of road (yes, I was trying to claim the lane - obviously not well enough as next time I'll need to sit in the MIDDLE of the lane to stop them. :roll:). There were some really aggressive drivers out in peak hour today (I was 10 minutes earlier than usual). I would have liked to have recorded those passings... :(

I have sent an email to GoPro about the Hero 3 Black's issues. And yes, the battery on it is woeful and I think I got around 80 minutes tops out of it from one charge - which was two day's worth of commutes.

As an aside, when the camera froze this morning I left it frozen on my whole commute (20 minutes approx.) and the battery was quite hot when I actually took it out of the housing to reset it. I wonder whether the freezing is a battery problem rather than the camera itself??

darkelf921

Postby darkelf921 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Summernight wrote:
I have sent an email to GoPro about the Hero 3 Black's issues. And yes, the battery on it is woeful and I think I got around 80 minutes tops out of it from one charge - which was two day's worth of commutes.

As an aside, when the camera froze this morning I left it frozen on my whole commute (20 minutes approx.) and the battery was quite hot when I actually took it out of the housing to reset it. I wonder whether the freezing is a battery problem rather than the camera itself??
I have the Silver and I had to use my battery Bacpac from my GoPro HD Original to get decent life out of the battery. Now I get 3-4 hours easily.

I used to have the camera freezing when I start it like you do but the last firmware upgrade seems to have stopped it. When the camera freezes for me when charging, the battery does indeed get very hot. I also ink the problem lies with the battery. I guess I'll see when I send off my camera and receive it "fixed" or replaced.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 pm

darkelf921 wrote:I have the Silver and I had to use my battery Bacpac from my GoPro HD Original to get decent life out of the battery. Now I get 3-4 hours easily.

I used to have the camera freezing when I start it like you do but the last firmware upgrade seems to have stopped it. When the camera freezes for me when charging, the battery does indeed get very hot. I also ink the problem lies with the battery. I guess I'll see when I send off my camera and receive it "fixed" or replaced.

I bought the Battery Bacpac at the same time as the Hero 3 Black. I'll charge that up and hook it on and see what happens.

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:55 am

darkelf921 wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:U could use this skewer mount as sold by TC

I would suggest there would be a lot of wheel in the video shot. The other problem I see is being able to connect a wire/line to your camera in case the mount broke. It would most likely get caught in the wheel and something would be break.

It would also be interesting to see what the vibration would be like.
I use my DIY mount attached to the rear QR, I use it for my GoPro or the Jumbo. It has a bit of wheel in the footage but that is a good thing because it gives some perspective. As for using a lanyard, you can easily use one, just use a shorter one.
There is no more vibration than any other mounting position, just make sure it is done properly.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks for the tip re the lanyard - I thought it was a bit of overkill, but fitted it anyway - yep snapped on my way to work this morning but the lanyard saved me having to go hunt for the gopro. Extension piece broke in the usual spot

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 pm

find_bruce wrote:Thanks for the tip re the lanyard - I thought it was a bit of overkill, but fitted it anyway - yep snapped on my way to work this morning but the lanyard saved me having to go hunt for the gopro. Extension piece broke in the usual spot
You were the next person in line. I kept thinking it'd be me. :P

After following GoPro support's steps regarding resetting the Hero 3 Black it still did the freezing on the start-up screen thing (I must admit I deliberately tested it by turning it on and off and on again a few times). GoPro have responded to this update asking whether I'm using their recommended Sandisk Class 10 (which I am) and the next step after checking with a different microSD card is sending it back to them.

I'm pretty sure the issue is related to the battery and some coding issue in the Black that has to do with the battery as when I was converting some clips last night I know it froze part way through converting the last clip and I pulled the battery out (camera was still connected to the computer and therefore had a power source and didn't turn off) and voila! camera unfroze and resumed converting the clip. That's the second time I've fixed it up from mid-freeze during conversion (GoPro have said you shouldn't be converting direct from the camera and should transfer all files to the computer before converting but I can't be bothered and it worked fine more often than not).

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:53 pm

My little old Jumbo HD 808 #11 is starting to play up (will not always start for example) and I am thinking it is time to replace it with a second serious camera. I guess I could go with a second Contour but not that impressed with the durability of mine and the file handling and the time it takes to charge the battery so looking at a GoPro. The question for me is what is the advantage of the black edition over the silver? I would use for recording my rides so mainly for incident recording.

Looking at Highly Tuned Athletes pricing (my preferred retailer) the black edition is $479 whereas the silver edition is $339 so a $140 difference.

Looking at GoPro's camera comparison chart the aspects that stand out for me are:

1. Low light recording ... The silver is Prosumer Grade where as the black is professional grade. Is there a significant difference in quality? I do a lot of night riding so this could be important;
2. Photos ... 11 MP versus 12 MP - Not an issue for me as I wouldn't use it as a stills camera
3. Video ... Protune mode in the black edition ... looks like more options in the black edition over the silver ... would this make much a difference for on-road incident recording?

Thoughts?

Andrew

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:17 pm

The last YouTube vid of mine you commented on was taken with the H3 Black Edition. The Silver (or is it the White?) allegedly has the same sensor and processor as the H2. Maybe compare it to one of my others at the same resolution for an idea?

Last night's ride home was in low light conditions at the end, with the MyTinySun headlight going. Will be interesting to see how it looked at 1080p@30fps.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:25 pm

trailgumby wrote:The last YouTube vid of mine you commented on was taken with the H3 Black Edition. The Silver (or is it the White?) allegedly has the same sensor and processor as the H2. Maybe compare it to one of my others at the same resolution for an idea?

Last night's ride home was in low light conditions at the end, with the MyTinySun headlight going. Will be interesting to see how it looked at 1080p@30fps.
I have both a Hero3 Black and Hero3 White (got the Black in Dec and the White last week). I actually intend to put together a clip to compare for a mate of mine who wants to know if the Black is worth paying extra given that 1080p/30fps would be sufficient for him which both models can do.

I'll post it here when I get it done :).

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:29 pm

Aushiker wrote:Looking at GoPro's camera comparison chart the aspects that stand out for me are:

1. Low light recording ... The silver is Prosumer Grade where as the black is professional grade. Is there a significant difference in quality? I do a lot of night riding so this could be important;
2. Photos ... 11 MP versus 12 MP - Not an issue for me as I wouldn't use it as a stills camera
3. Video ... Protune mode in the black edition ... looks like more options in the black edition over the silver ... would this make much a difference for on-road incident recording?

Thoughts?

Andrew
First thing I saw in this thread when buying and setting up the GoPro was that you turn off Protune when using it for commuting as it sucks power- so that addition in the Black really won't matter if you use it just for evidentiary purposes.

From my experience with my Black and hearing from Boogness it sounds like the 'lower' Hero 3 models have less issues regarding freezing/being buggy, although they will (hopefully) fix this issue soon with the Black.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Summernight wrote:
From my experience with my Black and hearing from Boogness it sounds like the 'lower' Hero 3 models have less issues regarding freezing/being buggy, although they will (hopefully) fix this issue soon with the Black.
So far my White has been rock solid but I've only had it for a week vs 6 weeks for the Black.

I use my Black on basic settings (no Protune, 1080p/30fps) on the bike unless I'm just playing with higher framerates at home. For recording my commutes 30fps does the job for me.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:43 pm

trailgumby wrote:The last YouTube vid of mine you commented on was taken with the H3 Black Edition. The Silver (or is it the White?) allegedly has the same sensor and processor as the H2. Maybe compare it to one of my others at the same resolution for an idea?
Was that the bus one? Are you shooting at 1080@30fps?

Thanks
Andrew