Moron Motorists #3

jules21

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:20 pm

if a truck can't safely share a road with other road users, due to characteristics of the road - e.g. narrowness - then the road is a candidate for one of those "< 6t gross mass limit signs".

Shred931

Postby Shred931 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:21 pm

Those truck tyre tracks on the grass shoulder indicate they move over quite regularly. I suspect they are making way for cars, bicycles on the otherhand get much less consideration.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Yes, all the roads around here are only 1 1/2 cars wide, so every time you meet another vehicle when driving you need to move over. At least most people move over. Only other road is the NE Hwy, which is fun to ride on to as there is no shoulder etc and when bdouble cattle trucks go past its quite exciting sometimes.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:28 pm

Boognoss wrote:
Summernight wrote: Can you remove the extra speed stuff on the side? If you are sending it to someone I would suggest you remove anything that could possibly make them turn around and go after you. Or be prepared to chip in a speeding ticket fine to the government coffers.
Thinking outside the square here but given that the camera speedo "probably" isn't calibrated regularly like police radar units and speedo's, etc how could they charge you for speeding on the basis of the video?

If they could, then you could argue that every single car that overtook the bike should be given a ticket too.
How does the camera record speed? I'd doubt it is sensor-based. If it is a GPS camera then the speed is probably quite accurate.

Regardless, if you can remove the dashboard it'd be best - just gets rid of any distraction from the main game.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:42 pm

ozzymac wrote:
Aren't we suppose to share the road?

The other trucks i passed had no problem moving over.

So its ok for me to get punctures by having to go off the road?

I think his tyres are stronger than mine.

If he lost control at that speed he shouldn't have a licence.

But thanks for the intelligent comments.

Cheers

You're welcome.

I find it amusing you complain about a lack of space. You are unwilling to pull over and step off the road and yet you require the truck to do just this? What's good for the goose...

As for other trucks driving on the grass for you, perhaps this driver has had cyclists get off the road for him?
2010 BMC SLC01

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:56 pm

hannos wrote:
ozzymac wrote:
Aren't we suppose to share the road?

The other trucks i passed had no problem moving over.

So its ok for me to get punctures by having to go off the road?

I think his tyres are stronger than mine.

If he lost control at that speed he shouldn't have a licence.

But thanks for the intelligent comments.

Cheers

You're welcome.

I find it amusing you complain about a lack of space. You are unwilling to pull over and step off the road and yet you require the truck to do just this? What's good for the goose...

As for other trucks driving on the grass for you, perhaps this driver has had cyclists get off the road for him?

So I guess what your saying is that cyclists don't deserve the same space as cars?

When I pass them in my car i don't get completely off the road, we equally share the space.

Which is exactly all I expect when I am on my bike.

Move along and maybe learn how to drive and share available spaces.

Cheers

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:09 pm

il padrone wrote:
Boognoss wrote:
Summernight wrote: Can you remove the extra speed stuff on the side? If you are sending it to someone I would suggest you remove anything that could possibly make them turn around and go after you. Or be prepared to chip in a speeding ticket fine to the government coffers.
Thinking outside the square here but given that the camera speedo "probably" isn't calibrated regularly like police radar units and speedo's, etc how could they charge you for speeding on the basis of the video?

If they could, then you could argue that every single car that overtook the bike should be given a ticket too.
How does the camera record speed? I'd doubt it is sensor-based. If it is a GPS camera then the speed is probably quite accurate.

Regardless, if you can remove the dashboard it'd be best - just gets rid of any distraction from the main game.
It's a normal video camera with his bike gps device data overlayed hence the heart beat, speed, cadence, map etc. the program is called racewear/dashwear or something. Great little program for 30 bucks.

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Worst...

(I'm using local descriptions here, but Google maps will help)

I was going the long way home today... So instead of going up Northbourne Avenue and turning left into Barton Highway, I kept going straight up the road where it becomes Federal Highway.

Coming up Northbourne, I got passed by a ute driving ridiculously. He was all over the road, swerving left to right. I think he was probably drunk.

So he gets stopped at the lights and is about 10th in the queue. I should've just turned left and gone up Barton Highway, the usual way home. But I didn't. I went through the intersection, and just as this ute went passed me, he swerved right, nearly took out a car, over corrected, and drove straight through the bike into a driveway there (I think to the vet?)

He hadn't intended to go into the drive way. So, without slowing down, he turns back towards Federal Highway, right in front of the oncoming traffic. It took me probably 2 or 3 minutes before I could move. That is by far and away the most scared I've ever been on a bike - including the crash that I had when I went over the handlebars.

I completely understand how people fail to get license plate details... I was so shocked I could barely move... he missed me by 2 metres. You don't even think to look for a license plate, much less do anything with the information you get.

I'd love to say that I'm going to steer clear of bike lanes for a while... but then I can't ride to work, which I've only really just started doing in the last week.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:29 pm

sylvan rd toowong, again

this time MM was slowly moving over into the "bikelane". on the roadie so bell only, no AZ. tried to get his attention by yelling but....he way too busy playing guitar. :shock:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:27 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:Worst...

(I'm using local descriptions here, but Google maps will help)

I was going the long way home today... So instead of going up Northbourne Avenue and turning left into Barton Highway, I kept going straight up the road where it becomes Federal Highway.

Coming up Northbourne, I got passed by a ute driving ridiculously. He was all over the road, swerving left to right. I think he was probably drunk.

So he gets stopped at the lights and is about 10th in the queue. I should've just turned left and gone up Barton Highway, the usual way home. But I didn't. I went through the intersection, and just as this ute went passed me, he swerved right, nearly took out a car, over corrected, and drove straight through the bike into a driveway there (I think to the vet?)

He hadn't intended to go into the drive way. So, without slowing down, he turns back towards Federal Highway, right in front of the oncoming traffic. It took me probably 2 or 3 minutes before I could move. That is by far and away the most scared I've ever been on a bike - including the crash that I had when I went over the handlebars.

I completely understand how people fail to get license plate details... I was so shocked I could barely move... he missed me by 2 metres. You don't even think to look for a license plate, much less do anything with the information you get.

I'd love to say that I'm going to steer clear of bike lanes for a while... but then I can't ride to work, which I've only really just started doing in the last week.

That sounds truly terrifying. Hang in there and don't let it turn you off cycling. And as for the remembering of details... a camera in the future? I also would never ever be able to remember licence plate details and the camera (when it does work) does show plates up.

I also had someone today turn left into a street from the middle lane on the Albert Street copenhagen lane without looking - evasive action was required this time (turned left with her into the street). She stopped after I shouted 'Oi... OI!' at her and then said as I went around her 'Please look next time and you were in the wrong lane'. Can't hear it in the video due to the waterproof housing. It is funny how in real life the event went slower than what it did on the video.

I think the pedestrians beside me were a bit shocked at the near accident. And yes, the GoPro worked this time. Time for a YouTube account. I'll post once I learn how to use the Tube.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:49 pm

Summernight wrote:I also had someone today turn left into a street from the middle lane on the Albert Street copenhagen lane without looking - evasive action was required this time (turned left with her into the street). She stopped after I shouted 'Oi... OI!' at her and then said as I went around her 'Please look next time and you were in the wrong lane'.
She said this??

Useless rule-breaker.
Mandatory helmet law?

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Summernight wrote:I also had someone today turn left into a street from the middle lane on the Albert Street copenhagen lane without looking - evasive action was required this time (turned left with her into the street). She stopped after I shouted 'Oi... OI!' at her and then said as I went around her 'Please look next time and you were in the wrong lane'. Can't hear it in the video due to the waterproof housing. It is funny how in real life the event went slower than what it did on the video.
there are a lot of drivers who really aren't sure what they're doing, but due to an over-confident personality are happy to just wing it and bluff their way through. you dodged a bullet today.. please report her to the cops though, someone else may not next time she gets behind the wheel.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:49 pm

^^^ what he said. That's atrocious :x

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:28 am

Moron motorist one- walks to car, looks and sees me and still opens door just as I get to him, 2- passes me, giving me space, the pulls right in front of me to park with out indicating and moron 3- I'm turning left, lights red to turn and In rolling up to lights about 1 meter from lights, idiot speeds up, cuts me off to get ahead, just missed hitting back of him. He copped it for all three this morning.

They come in threes :shock:

Awesome morning for a ride though :)
Happy Days

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:10 am

ozzymac wrote: So I guess what your saying is that cyclists don't deserve the same space as cars?

When I pass them in my car i don't get completely off the road, we equally share the space.

Cheers

Having driven trucks for a number of years I would possibly not have gotten off the road there either, particularly if there has bee any sort of rain recently. The fact that there is green grass growing right to the edge of the road indicates that there is, or has been, a bit of moisture, around recently and that the shoulder is not driven on alot and therefore may not be well compacted. A triaxle grouping can carry up to 22.5 tonnes and there is a fair chance of it sinking through the crust and wrecking the shoulder of the road if it is not that firm.
Having said that it looks like he swung back across earlier than was necessary so he may have been a pillock anyway. I dont know though, I wasn't there :|
Dogs are the best people :wink:

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:26 am

ozzymac wrote:
So I guess what your saying is that cyclists don't deserve the same space as cars?

Cheers

Yeah OK whatever.
Obviously it's one standard for you and another for everyone else.

The truck has to drive off the road just to accomodate you, but you don't have to do a thing to accomodate the truck.
So who is it sharing the road again? Certainly not you...

The false entitlement of some people amaze me sometimes.
2010 BMC SLC01

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:35 am

I know that outback road conditions are somewhat different to where you are, but this is what we did to cope with trucks and road space. Not many trucks of course and we heard/saw them well in advance. It only cost us a minute or so.

Mandatory helmet law?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:18 am

il padrone wrote:I know that outback road conditions are somewhat different to where you are, but this is what we did to cope with trucks and road space. Not many trucks of course and we heard/saw them well in advance. It only cost us a minute or so.

Only way to go.
They are 4.6 m high and top heavy. You won't see them get out onto the soft stuff.
Tanami are based out of Alice though they get around a bit. Where were you in that photo?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am

The Finke Rd, heading back to Kulgera. They were carrying a load of cattle from Andado Station to markets in Murray Bridge.
Mandatory helmet law?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:32 am

That's pretty hardcore, sounds like fun, but tough. :). Not that I've done any cycling like that, so wouldn't know.
Beautiful country, hope it wasn't summer though.
Last edited by warthog1 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 am

il padrone wrote:
Summernight wrote:I also had someone today turn left into a street from the middle lane on the Albert Street copenhagen lane without looking - evasive action was required this time (turned left with her into the street). She stopped after I shouted 'Oi... OI!' at her and then said as I went around her 'Please look next time and you were in the wrong lane'.
She said this??

Useless rule-breaker.
I'm so sorry. I have maligned her innocence with my poor description of the scenario. I was the one who said that about the lane change and looking next time to HER, not her saying it to me. She just sat there and said nothing that I could hear. Please take back all your insults regarding her being a useless rule-breaker. She was a rule-breaker, but possibly not useless. (At least she stopped before hitting me) :lol:

MM encounter in my car on my way to my swimming session this morning - tradie in a big Hilux type ute burns up a side street and then puts half his ute through the small side street roundabout (effectively blocking the roundabout) and THEN looks for my car which was already halfway through the roundabout on his right. So here he is stopped in the middle of the roundabout blocking everything. Good thing I'm awake and alert at 6:50AM and only travelling at 30km/hr otherwise my bumper would have been cactus and the side of his ute would have been dented.

It gave me satisfaction to blare my car horn at him. I'm thinking it might also give me satisfaction to blare an AZ on the bicycle. :roll:

A good reminder to everyone that drivers sometimes just don't see big fat WHITE hatchback cars on the road, let alone a smaller bicycle so please take care and never assume they have seen you.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:36 am

warthog1 wrote:That's pretty hardcore, sounds like fun, but tough. :). Not that I've done any cycling like that, so wouldn't know.
Beautiful country, hope it wasn't summer though.
Great (but very challenging) ride. Luckily the graders had just recently been over the road. It was hot enough (39+) for quite a few days in late Sept-Oct to tell us summer would be truly insane.
Mandatory helmet law?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:42 am

Summernight wrote:A good reminder to everyone that drivers sometimes just don't see big fat WHITE hatchback cars on the road, let alone a smaller bicycle so please take care and never assume they have seen you.
standard issue. drive like everyone else around you is an idiot.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:47 am

I seem to be missing something when it comes to what is and what isn't a moron motorist.

It seems that car drivers etc are morons if they don't give you enough room but when it comes to bdoubles etc we are expected to move off the road and stop even.

I am confused.

So, does that just apply to rural roads users or do I have to stop on the Hwy to?

Heaven forbid I wouldn't want them to have to move over just for me.

Let's see this morning I got passed by about 6 semis this morning, now that would of made an interesting ride had it attempted to stop for them, never mind doing dangerous considering there is no shoulder etc to stop on.

Anyway, I think the gravel contractors must really love cyclists, as another one passed even closer this morning. Yes, I didn't know the rules this morning so I didn't stop and take up camp while he went past.

Cheers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:56 am

Stop eating so many chillis, they make you hot under the collar :P

I was simply stating what we did to deal with big trucks on bad roads. In a very different part of the country as I said.

I would consider stopping/moving off the road if there was a big B-double/road train on a narrow road, and it was not going to unduly delay me. We did so for most roadtrains, because we wished to avoid their wind-shear and the dust on the gravel roads ie. self-interest was high. On busier roads with plenty of width - no worries, I'd keep riding.

But I was concerned that your road seemed awfully narrow - too narrow even for regular semi-trailer traffic. If it does carry regular truck traffic, why don't the road authorities put in wide shoulders of gravel? This is pretty standard in many rural back-road areas.

But it's always your choice. :idea:
Mandatory helmet law?