Extraordinary school rule

Equipment and On Road Behaviour, Laws and Rules. Cycling Promotion and Advocacy

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:47 am

il padrone wrote:Trouble is, if you build infrastructure and don't also do something about changing rules and entrenched attitudes that work against cycling (like the attitudes of some primary school administrators) you get this:
Image

That's not the kind of infrastructure you just showed! Partitioned path!!!
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16914
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

by BNA » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 am

BNA
 

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:56 am

high_tea wrote:Yup, enough people wanted to save, I dunno, 90 seconds or something and thought that building a carpark was a reasonable solution to this non-problem. Not only that, but that a freakin state school, a proverbially always-short-of money kind of organisation, should do it!

:shock: FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What else can you do? The tendency of lifeforms is to be a <edited by mod> in order to conserve energy for serious challenges to survival. I don't think these people realise that the challenge to survival is actually presented by the car and their inability manage their time (or expectations). It's really easy to make the bans happen. No Stopping in the School Zone hours. SURELY SOMEONE WILL THINK OF THE CHILDREN :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

^^^True dat, paddy.

sogood, a cyclist doesn't NEED more than that. In fact, that would be awesome. I normally deal with a lot less.
Xplora
 
Posts: 5615
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:10 am

sogood wrote:That's not the kind of infrastructure you just showed! Partitioned path!!!

Oh truly :roll: Stop picking nits. Who cares <edited by mod> ?? And there are plenty of unused segregated paths about in peak hour too.

It does not change the message. Unused infrastructure is poor infrastructure 'Build it and they will come' only works if there are minimal forces working against it..... ie. the school's rule is a big deterrent.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18182
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby wizdofaus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 am

Xplora wrote:sogood, a cyclist doesn't NEED more than that. In fact, that would be awesome. I normally deal with a lot less.


"NEED" != "reasonably feel comfortable with". I can completely understand a less experienced cyclist (especially if female) deciding riding is just too dangerous along a road where cars blithely cross over into bike lanes like that.

Somewhat irrelevant to the discussion at hand as I'm talking about children under 10, and I would fully expect them to only ride on footpaths and dedicated bike paths.
Last edited by wizdofaus on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
wizdofaus
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 am
Location: Kensington, Melbourne, VIC

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:15 am

BTW the "this" I was raising as a problem in the photo is the empty bike lane. Motorists all look at that and see wasted space.

Empty segregated paths are a bad look as well.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18182
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:33 am

Xplora wrote:No Stopping in the School Zone hours. SURELY SOMEONE WILL THINK OF THE CHILDREN :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sogood, a cyclist doesn't NEED more than that. In fact, that would be awesome. I normally deal with a lot less.

No Stopping? You are optimistic on the parents of present day. These days, so many parents ignore existing traffic rules in front of the school, we are seeing some form of reminder every few months from the school. Just hopeless. At the end of the day, citizen ethics is another factor in this multi-factorial problem. Can we change it? More nanny state techniques? Shock and horrors!
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16914
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:35 am

il padrone wrote:Oh truly :roll: Stop picking nits. Who gives a **** ??

Urrr... It's BNA Forum. Where did you think you were posting? :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16914
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby hannos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:36 am

sogood wrote:No Stopping? You are optimistic on the parents of present day. These days, so many parents ignore existing traffic rules in front of the school, we are seeing some form of reminder every few months from the school. Just hopeless. At the end of the day, citizen ethics is another factor in this multi-factorial problem. Can we change it? More nanny state techniques? Shock and horrors!


Yep!
Rangers blitzing school areas during peak drop off times.
They really only need to take a picture of the offending vehicle for a fine to be issued...
:twisted: :twisted:
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4018
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 am

Yep. The power of the hip-pocket nerve will do the trick soon enough. If the authorities can be bothered.

It's one big reason why much fewer people drive cars in European cities.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18182
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:56 am

il padrone wrote:Yep. The power of the hip-pocket nerve will do the trick soon enough. If the authorities can be bothered.

Sob stories generated by the media and other self-interested parties will soon put a stop to that. Wonderful society and the authorities will move onto other "more important" things! :roll:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16914
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:13 pm

A brief reminder seems in order for this announcement made by Christopher a few days ago regarding language (including the masking of it). Please be mindful of the forum rules when posting, a healthy debate can be still be had whilst remaining within the requirements for posting on BNA.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5687
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby human909 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:30 pm

I was catching two buses through the CBD when I was SEVEN YEARS OLD. Likewise, riding a bicycle to school for a young child is not a crazily dangerous thing.

But Australian nanny state says otherwise. :roll:
human909
 
Posts: 4728
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:51 pm

human909 wrote:I was catching two buses through the CBD when I was SEVEN YEARS OLD. Likewise, riding a bicycle to school for a young child is not a crazily dangerous thing.

Name the year. And I was catching 3 buses when I was SEVEN years old. :P
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16914
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby wizdofaus » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:18 pm

sogood wrote:
human909 wrote:I was catching two buses through the CBD when I was SEVEN YEARS OLD. Likewise, riding a bicycle to school for a young child is not a crazily dangerous thing.

Name the year. And I was catching 3 buses when I was SEVEN years old. :P


Luxury...I used to dream of being able to catch 3 buses...
wizdofaus
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:39 am
Location: Kensington, Melbourne, VIC

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:54 pm

wizdofaus wrote:
sogood wrote:
human909 wrote:I was catching two buses through the CBD when I was SEVEN YEARS OLD. Likewise, riding a bicycle to school for a young child is not a crazily dangerous thing.

Name the year. And I was catching 3 buses when I was SEVEN years old. :P


Luxury...I used to dream of being able to catch 3 buses...

Back in my day we'd wake up an hour before we'd gone to bed, clean the bottom of the lake and drain it to clean it again otherwise our father would kill us on pain of death.... cruel... but fair...
Xplora
 
Posts: 5615
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Xplora wrote:Back in my day we'd wake up an hour before we'd gone to bed, clean the bottom of the lake and drain it to clean it again otherwise our father would kill us on pain of death.... cruel... but fair...

Ok, you win! :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16914
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby simonn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Xplora wrote:
wizdofaus wrote:
sogood wrote:Name the year. And I was catching 3 buses when I was SEVEN years old. :P


Luxury...I used to dream of being able to catch 3 buses...

Back in my day we'd wake up an hour before we'd gone to bed, clean the bottom of the lake and drain it to clean it again otherwise our father would kill us on pain of death.... cruel... but fair...


You 'ad a lake?!?! Luxury. We 'ad t'make do with puddle in t'middle of t'road.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3575
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:58 am

:shock: You 'ad road?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25567
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:47 am

Mulger bill wrote::shock: You 'ad road?

:lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
User avatar
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 5687
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:29 pm
Location: Geelong

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Ah tole yer we was 'appy :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25567
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby TigerFilly » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Apart from the fact that I don't think the school has any right to tell you how you convey your child to school...
I think grade 4 or 5 is about right for riding to school unaccompanied. Before that kids' peripheral vision isn't fully developed.
I've been riding my kids to school when possible for the last four years or so, so my son was only in year 1 when he started riding to school, but I was with them, and he rode on the footpath at that age ( which has its own dangers, but I would ride on the road just ahead of him so could see any cars reversing out of driveways).
Last year from about age 9.5 he started riding alone - ie even on days when I needed to drive and drop his little sister, he would ride, leaving home 5 mins before me and meeting at school.
He is only able to do that because I've spent 4 years teaching him how to ride on the road. A couple of times I've had friends of my son's over after school and arranged for them to bring their bikes and ride with us, and both kids were a danger to themselves and everyone else with no idea how to ride safely in public.
Tell you what really doesn't help - stupid drivers who think they are being helpful and waving kids on when the car has right of way. I've spent a long time drilling my kids on the road rules, it's not kind to wave them through, it's confusing.
TigerFilly
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:46 pm

TigerFilly wrote:Last year from about age 9.5 he started riding alone - ie even on days when I needed to drive and drop his little sister, he would ride, leaving home 5 mins before me and meeting at school.
He is only able to do that because I've spent 4 years teaching him how to ride on the road. A couple of times I've had friends of my son's over after school and arranged for them to bring their bikes and ride with us, and both kids were a danger to themselves and everyone else with no idea how to ride safely in public.
Tell you what really doesn't help - stupid drivers who think they are being helpful and waving kids on when the car has right of way. I've spent a long time drilling my kids on the road rules, it's not kind to wave them through, it's confusing.

+1 to all this.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18182
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Extraordinary school rule

Postby Xplora » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:58 pm

I do find it interesting how parents expect their kids to learn skills when they don't teach them, and don't give them a chance to put it into practice. You would have to assume your kid would be USELESS riding to school unless you'd spent time teaching them how to manage the road. The school can't enforce good parenting. Somewhat sad that these parents somehow expect their kids to learn how to drive without any understanding of the road (if they don't ride a bike or walk to school). I don't consider myself some old school tough nut but I rode bikes as a kid and I walked to primary school for years.

Good on you Tiger.
Xplora
 
Posts: 5615
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Previous

Return to Cycling Safety and Advocacy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lard



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter