France/Italy in December?

Abby

France/Italy in December?

Postby Abby » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:36 pm

Hi all,

Doing some preliminary planning for a possible month-long family Europe trip in either September or December this year. I am teh only cyclist in the family - but my wonderful wife has said she is happy for me to go and do a few days (or a week) of cycling somewhere if I want to, seeing as we rarely travel overseas...

We are leaning towards travelling in December at this stage (easiest for getting time off our respective employment). Just wondering if anyone knows if the 'mountains' of France/Italy are passable by bike at that time of year??

I am keen to try and ride a few of the famous ascents of the Tour and/or Giro - but not sure if its realistic at that time of year due to snow...

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks!!
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

toolonglegs

Re: France/Italy in December?

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:46 pm

No... December cycling in the Alpes is not possible. 90% of big climbs will be closed... The only roads open are up to busy ski resorts.
I live close to the alpes, most cols are closed in November, sometimes earlier.
I ride all year round but in the winter months going above 500 meters will depend on the weather, going above a 1000 will always be above the snow line.
At 1000 m on a bike be prepared for minus 10 plus :-) .
September is usually ok... I say usually, the end of September is well into Autumn and you need to be prepared for the cold and wet.