Moron Motorists #3

hannos

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby hannos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:08 pm

il padrone wrote: I would consider stopping/moving off the road if there was a big B-double/road train on a narrow road, and it was not going to unduly delay me.

But it's always your choice. :idea:
warthog1 wrote: Having driven trucks for a number of years I would possibly not have gotten off the road there either, particularly if there has bee any sort of rain recently. The fact that there is green grass growing right to the edge of the road indicates that there is, or has been, a bit of moisture, around recently and that the shoulder is not driven on alot and therefore may not be well compacted. A triaxle grouping can carry up to 22.5 tonnes and there is a fair chance of it sinking through the crust and wrecking the shoulder of the road if it is not that firm.
Having said that it looks like he swung back across earlier than was necessary so he may have been a pillock anyway. I dont know though, I wasn't there :|

@ozzymac
It would be a damn sight easier (and safer) for you to stop and pull off the road in the example you displayed, than it would be for a B-Double to drive on the grass. The driver obviously made a judgement call that it wasn't safe for him to drive on the grass. He moved over (granted it appeared he moved back a tad early) to give you room.
You, on the other hand, didn't.
Attack me all you like for not agreeing with your point of view, it matters not to me, but the only thing I can see wrong was the driver moving BACK too soon.

As IP said, it's your choice.
You can choose to share the road (or not) to your hearts content.
2010 BMC SLC01

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:08 pm

Don't think it's chillis, just arsehole truck drivers....

Anyway here is this mornings pics :
ImageImage

And yes its the same truck.. Guess he really likes cyclists.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:10 pm

just take the lane next time :)

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:23 pm

Ok, just to explain a few things.

This is a rural area as such rural residential.

Now when driving on rural rds everybody moves off the bitumen so far to allow 2 vehicles to pass.

It doesn't matter if it's 2 cars that meet or 2 trucks that meet they both move over.

If the trucks are passing cars they would of moved over if they meet each other they would of moved over.

The edges are fine for cars and trucks to move off onto, they are mostly rock and gravel.

So all the talk about it not being safe for the truck to move is not right.

And as it seems to be only the one truck that doesn't like to give any room, maybe he needs to learn how to drive, why is it that everyone else has no trouble giving a bit of space?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:25 pm

Well, there is more room on your side than there is on the other side :|

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Then lodge a complaint to the driver's employer if it's upsetting you.

and it helps to include all relvant information (ie shoulder surface) than to just let peope speculate...
2010 BMC SLC01

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Like Pete, we took pretty much the same stance with the trucks on the Norseman-Hyden Road

Mind you, these drivers where slowing down and I mean slowing down ... Was not what I was expecting that is for sure.

Andrew
Andrew

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:40 pm

hannos wrote:Then lodge a complaint to the driver's employer if it's upsetting you.

and it helps to include all relvant information (ie shoulder surface) than to just let peope speculate...
As there are no company information on the truck that makes it difficult, but I have sent of an email to local council as they must be contractors doing road repairs.

It's just strange that it's only one truck out of about 4 of them that are carting gravel that doesn't like giving room.

Cheers

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:45 pm

I see a metre of wheel marks on the cyclists side of the road through the grass. You can bet there is a metre of grass on the other side of the truck as well. When vehicles meet they both get off onto that shoulder. Don't forget this is very firm grass shoulder here,(underpinned by salamander just not sealed), and in no way are those soft edges.

Seems as though some a being vindictive of the rider for not a lot of reason.

The shadowline near the trucks right hand wheel shows that the truck would not move off the bitumen.That truck could easily move over a meter and allow a bit of room for the cyclist.
I reckon the rider has a valid point. That is one dangerous trucky and is probably congratulating himself for putting another cyclist in his place.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 pm

outnabike wrote:I see a metre of wheel marks on the cyclists side of the road through the grass. You can bet there is a metre of grass on the other side of the truck as well. When vehicles meet they both get off onto that shoulder. Don't forget this is very firm grass shoulder here,(underpinned by salamander just not sealed), and in no way are those soft edges.

Seems as though some a being vindictive of the rider for not a lot of reason.

The shadowline near the trucks right hand wheel shows that the truck would not move off the bitumen.That truck could easily move over a meter and allow a bit of room for the cyclist.
I reckon the rider has a valid point. That is one dangerous trucky and is probably congratulating himself for putting another cyclist in his place.

Good to see someone with a bit of sense and knowledge of rural roads.

And this mornings episode was pretty scary as we were going down hill so went past at a better speed.

Cheers

Edited by mod. Please read this announcement

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:09 pm

If you've got his rego you should be able to take that video to the police and sort something out.
It's hard to get a full picture from some still photos. I was trying to give a reason why he may not be moving off the road. If the shoulders are firm and he's the only one doing it he is a moron.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:26 pm

warthog1 wrote:If you've got his rego you should be able to take that video to the police and sort something out.
It's hard to get a full picture from some still photos.
+1

Twice in two days is too much. Rego and visit the police.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:34 pm

This morning on a backstreet with choke points to cut down on rat-running:

Hear shouting behind me and its a cyclist nearly being taken out by an Audi SUV going through a give way sign.

As its overtaking me after going through an uphill choke point, I get a blast of the horn from it.

1km down the road ... I wave and give the driver the thumbs up as I overtake him while he's stuck in a traffic jam :)

...and a couple of hours after that, ask the police to provide an attitude re-adjustment :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:02 pm

Riding casually though Chermside Westfield at about 20kph and some landscaping crew with their put put van + trailer quickly pulls out of one of the parking entrances across the road directly infront of me trying to get into the small 4-5m gap between me and the car infront. I yell oi and slam on the brakes but they kept on going so I pulled along side at the stop sign 20m up the road to give them an ear full and the passenger leans out the window telling me I should be riding on the footpath, my bike is unregistered, its safer to ride on the footpath and all the usual crap that cyclists shouldn't be on the road. They drove off only to stop at the lights so I decided to continue on the conversation. Telling me to not worry about it because I should have been riding on the footpath and trying to blame me for their !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! driving. The light went green and we went our seperate ways. Futher along riding past a school the 40kph school zone lights were flashing, cars coming the other way slowed down to stop at the zebra crossing, I slow down for the zebra crossing, the woman puts one foot on the zebra crossing and the car beside me just keeps on rolling though. Some good quality driving :roll:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:16 pm

@luke_durbridge1

A motorX bike tried to hit us today.He swerved last minute thinking he was tuff. Then hits a patch of gravel and BAM goes down #karmasabitch

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:20 pm

jules21 wrote:@luke_durbridge1

A motorX bike tried to hit us today.He swerved last minute thinking he was tuff. Then hits a patch of gravel and BAM goes down #karmasabitch
oh man. i hope they all stopped and clapped.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:00 pm

jasonc wrote:

Sorry guys, I would be stopping to help the fellow up.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:10 pm

outnabike wrote:
jasonc wrote:

...then pull your hand away at the last second? I like the cut of your jib sir :wink:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:36 pm

outnabike wrote:
jasonc wrote:

so would i. but then i would clap.

The Dude Abides

Postby The Dude Abides » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Boognoss wrote:
Thinking outside the square here but given that the camera speedo "probably" isn't calibrated regularly like police radar units and speedo's, etc how could they charge you for speeding on the basis of the video?

If they could, then you could argue that every single car that overtook the bike should be given a ticket too.
The speed feed is an overlay of the garmin edge 500 fit file that you combine with the video and synchronise it. So my speed at the time was accuated based on a GPS speed and +/-1 second or so synchronisation error.
Track all of your ride stats and keep them on your own computer.
http://www.prologcycling.com

Adstar

Postby Adstar » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:12 pm

Nearly went over a taxi bonnet this morning. Riding in bike lane and a cyclist 100 m ahead had a taxi start to pull out in front of him to pull into a non-existent gap between a motorbike and car. He managed to avoid and continue.

I slowed to a reasonable speed and was maintaining eye contact with the driver - right up until I was 5-10 metres from him. He thought that would be a good time to again try to drive across the bike lane into a non-existent gap. On the chocs and the back wheel lifted. As i was still clipped in I rotated to the right almost 90 degrees with the rear wheel still in the air, released the brake and slid into aforementioned non existent gap missing the front of his car but feeling my leg hair touch the bumper.

Tried to remonstrate as I rode off but all that came out was a lame finger point and a urghurhghy sort of noise. Hope he got the message....

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:18 am

Close call between car / truck this evening....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv759GPH ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To explain what little you can see, the silver Mazda in front of the truck brakes for the lights at about the 0:07 mark and the truck immediately after. Almost immediately he starts to slide into the bike lane, corrects momentarily and at 0:15 is in full lock up and fully into the bike lane. It's a pity I wasn't a little further forward as another 30-40 metres up the road would have had the perfect view. The video doesn't do the incident proper justice as, towards the end, the truck was damn near sideways before finally straightening up. The sobering thought is that, on the footage immediately preceding this, there was another cyclist 10 seconds in front of the one in picture. Had he been stopped at the lights, the consequences could have been horrific. Some guys are just going way too fast.
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:22 am

All I wanted was a quick trip to the video shop to drop back some discs. Cycling at night, well lit up, in a bicycle lane :roll:, I spot a smashed bottle and swerve to avoid the broken glass. Well, the passenger of the vehicle behind me went nuts. "You have your own lane so why don't you use it you <language>" he screamed at me as the driver sped off. I screamed back "because it's full of glass you <language>" I screamed back. :oops:

I am usually pretty calm when cycling in traffic but that got me fired up! Incidentally, there was plenty of room for the driver to overtake me. He just couldn't drive for ....

Mod Says: We have recognised that language is creeping back into the forum and this is not ok, hence this recent announcement. Please read this. Family Friendly Language and Behaviour
Circumventing the word censor is not OK.
<removed by request>

zero

Postby zero » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:25 am

Cowcorner wrote:Close call between car / truck this evening....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv759GPH ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To explain what little you can see, the silver Mazda in front of the truck brakes for the lights at about the 0:07 mark and the truck immediately after. Almost immediately he starts to slide into the bike lane, corrects momentarily and at 0:15 is in full lock up and fully into the bike lane. It's a pity I wasn't a little further forward as another 30-40 metres up the road would have had the perfect view. The video doesn't do the incident proper justice as, towards the end, the truck was damn near sideways before finally straightening up. The sobering thought is that, on the footage immediately preceding this, there was another cyclist 10 seconds in front of the one in picture. Had he been stopped at the lights, the consequences could have been horrific. Some guys are just going way too fast.
Yep - unhitched cab overs do not emergency brake well - there is no real solution for this other than not tailgating whilst driving them (and for others to not cut them off).

Glad he didn't hit anyone, and I wouldn't wish to be further forward, because this is a situation where you could have been too far forward!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:30 am

zero wrote:Yep - unhitched cab overs do not emergency brake well - there is no real solution for this other than not tailgating whilst driving them (and for others to not cut them off).
ABS or load proportioning would help, but they wouldn't make tailgating ok..