Cheap ANT+ computer

clackers

Re: Cheap ANT+ computer

Postby clackers » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 pm

I've got a Bryton 50 and a 35. I think they're works in progress versus the established Garmins, but with big improvements in the last year. One thing they've got going for them is battery life.

Dadrock

Postby Dadrock » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:50 pm

not directly on point, but if you're after a new mobile you could do what I did and get a Sony Ericsson Xperia Active. it has an ANT+ sensor built in. I downloaded the Garmin app, got a cadence/speed sensor for the bike and I'm away. Will also pick up a HR monitor when I get serious.

phone is pretty waterproof. I mounted it with a Quad Lock universal mount, with the BNA discount! :D

martin
"You make pigs smoke. You feed beef burgers to swans. You have big sheds, but nobody's allowed in..."

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Dadrock wrote:not directly on point, but if you're after a new mobile you could do what I did and get a Sony Ericsson Xperia Active. it has an ANT+ sensor built in. I downloaded the Garmin app, got a cadence/speed sensor for the bike and I'm away. Will also pick up a HR monitor when I get serious.m
Can't imagine what the battery life will be like, Martin, with the screen on full time, with GPS and ANT+ (effectively Bluetooth) as well.

Still, it should be okay for shorter rides.

Dadrock

Postby Dadrock » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:19 pm

I have the screen on low brightness, no bluetooth, but yeah, it can chew through a battery. I've only done a couple of 2-3 hours rides and it makes it through okay, but then I don't really use the maps finction much as I know where I'm going.

It's the speed and cadence info I like, and the ability to download the ride to Garmin Connect, and then across to Strava to see if I've improved on a couple of particlar segments.

It is a bit of a novelty, but I was never going to get a Garmin (the expenditure would be approved by Treasury), and I needed a new phone after my 7 year Nokia finally died.

Martin
"You make pigs smoke. You feed beef burgers to swans. You have big sheds, but nobody's allowed in..."

clackers

Postby clackers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Dadrock wrote: (the expenditure would be approved by Treasury)
We share your pain, Martin! :smile: