The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

twizzle

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby twizzle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:59 am

bychosis wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Just put the bell on your index finger. Problem solved.

:twisted:
No, it's rings on fingers, bells on toes. :roll:
I tried, but I can't reach my toes while riding the bike with the feet clipped in.

Same as I can't reach a bell near the stem if I'm on the hoods covering the brakes - and I'm not going to compromise on that. I'll look into getting a bell and fitting it next to the brifter as per Andrew's solution. AirZound most definitely won't fit close enough to the brakes... looks like the peds won't be on the receiving end.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:24 pm

My bell is on the handle of my frame-mounted bike pump (which sits attached to the bottle cage). Easy to reach when commuting, easy to take off for crit racing. 8)

Cheers,
Abby
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Here is the bell solution for roadies :)

It is titanium BTW :)

Andrew

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:10 pm

And out of stock.

Sent from my iThingy...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:19 am

twizzle wrote:And out of stock.
Ahh missed that. They do have the non-titanium version but.

Andrew

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:32 am

Aushiker wrote:Here is the bell solution for roadies :)

It is titanium BTW :)

Andrew
Titanium is so last decade. Roadies need a carbon bell. :wink:

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:03 am

I would want to see the aero wind tunnel results of that bell before purchase. I’m not all that impressed with the design as it looks like the rear section of the bell would act as a scoop and increase wind resistance. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:20 am

greyhoundtom wrote:I would want to see the aero wind tunnel results of that bell before purchase. I’m not all that impressed with the design as it looks like the rear section of the bell would act as a scoop and increase wind resistance. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Good point. Moreover, is it 3al-2.5v or 6al-4v titanium alloy?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:27 am

Surely what every Beach Rd roadie needs??

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:31 am

human909 wrote:
Titanium is so last decade. Roadies need a carbon bell. :wink:
I'm waiting for the Di2 version

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Me.

Shared path, steep hill section, some random stuck to my arse and I caught up with a more sedate cyclist just before the path turned left over the crest, I decided I had enought time to pass and calling "passing" and pulled out just as a rider appeared in the opposite direction. I completed the pass before the other rider got too close... but in my judgement it would have caused concern both for the person I was passing and the oncoming rider - not that the latter had to brake.

As a plus, it was very effective at getting rid of my undesireable guest. It's a nasty twisty section, lots of loose gravel from recent rain, shaded and poor surface, and he was right up me but didn't seem inclined to pass.

csy75

Postby csy75 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:07 pm

at the bottom of galston gorge on sunday, we are waiting for a car to come off the bridge ( it's one direction only ).

myself and 2 friends waiting at the bottom, in queue.

the car gets off the bridge, we start to go across and an old guy with a beard flies done the hill and yells at us to get out of his way and to watch out!

it really annoys me when other cyclists don't obey the road rules. he didn't want to line up, he just pushed in and nearly caused an accident..

so what if I was on a motorbike? my two friends are not cyclists and were complaining about him later on, i assured them he was a rare case....

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:42 pm

I can't decide whose the dumb one here.

I've mentioned the quiet shared paths near my house before - full of kids with parents, people with dogs or kids learning to ride a bike or scooter. There are two people in particular that annoy me because they fly along this path with no regard for other users of the path, and one of them doesnt even wear a helmet. Neither of them use a bell - and this path is, more than anything, what explains my crusade in favour of bells. If EVER a bike needs a bell, its on a path like this - especially if old mate plans on doing 50 km/hr while riding through it.

Anyway, hopefully he won't do that any more. I was keeping left, but had to cross the right 'lane' of the path to get back to my house. I've been so much more aware in these situations since I started riding. But not today - I was one of the dopey pedestrians that just didn't consider the possibility of a cyclist.

So I cross over to the right, which is where he'd headed to overtake me (he was behind me obviously), and in trying to avoid me, he kept going further right... right into the ditch.

He was fine, but really cranky. In most situations I'd let up, because I was more in the wrong... but the lecture I gave him has been brewing for weeks - about not wearing a helmet, about the legalities of a bell, about the stupidity of going too quickly on a path full of animals and kids... and in the end he left thoroughly unsatisfied when he asked for my name, and I replied that I would first like his name - because my error today was just that, an error. His repeated errors in riding too fast around kids without a helmet are not an error - they're a conscious decision to ignore the law, and the police are going to be much less interested in me than in him.

Anyway, he said some choice words and went to ride off, and I indicated that if he's going to ride like a knob and endanger other people, he best not do it to me again.

Perhaps the real winner was my dog - she peed on his tyre while I was lecturing him :D (no, this wouldnt have been funny on a $5000 road bike - but on a rusty piece of crap being ridden too fast by a guy without a helmet? It was hilarious.)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:Perhaps the real winner was my dog - she peed on his tyre while I was lecturing him :D
:mrgreen:

dumb cyclists on the way home this afternoon - homeward bound, just come out from under the jindalee bridge and there are 3 people on BMX bikes (bmx/skate park is on the other side of the highway). Anyway, 2 of them were sitting on their bikes taking up the whole outbound lane. One of them, a female, had her bike across the lane. I yell out "don't roll back" (as they are on the slope) and I over take them. I then get an F*&^ You from the gent she was with. AZ activated as I'm riding off. His response from the AZ was shock. desired result. Maybe they won't sit across the path next time....

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:35 pm

Morning commute. Exercise group on the path, caution advised.. didn't expect the gear placed carefully at the chicane leading back onto the road.

Edit: squeal oise was maladjusted brakes, and the bell doesn't come through the gopro well with the brake cable tapping on the case.
Last edited by bychosis on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

98octane

Postby 98octane » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:58 pm

Tonight, I had a close shave with a dumb pedestrian on the shared path along the north bank of the Yarra next to Flinders St Station.

I was riding behind two middle aged couples blocking the full path, with my 900 lumen front light on at about 9pm. Both appeared to see my light and moved to the left. One woman pulled her husband to the left. A 1.5 - 2 m gap formed to their right (river side), so I decided to pass (AT) ~25kph.

Just as I was passing, a guy suddenly steps right about 1m. His wife quickly pulled him out of the way. He let out an "Arghh!". Ironically, I had just called out "thank you" for them stepping aside. I managed to avoid him and got home safely.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:39 am

bychosis wrote:Morning commute. Exercise group on the path, caution advised.. didn't expect the gear placed carefully at the chicane leading back onto the road.

Edit: squeal oise was maladjusted brakes, and the bell doesn't come through the gopro well with the brake cable tapping on the case.
While their positioning isn't great, and it may be the way the camera has recorded it, but it looks to me like you're travelling pretty quickly through a crowded area.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:08 am

fatdudeonabike wrote:Perhaps the real winner was my dog - she peed on his tyre while I was lecturing him :D (no, this wouldnt have been funny on a $5000 road bike - but on a rusty piece of crap being ridden too fast by a guy without a helmet? It was hilarious.)
What's wrong with a dog peeing on a $5000 road bike as compared to peeing on a piece of junk? It all washes off anyway. :lol:
bychosis wrote:Morning commute. Exercise group on the path, caution advised.. didn't expect the gear placed carefully at the chicane leading back onto the road.
They just don't want to get their gear wet like it would be if they put it on the grass. Although I don't know why they don't put it on the benches and garden ledges beside the path, but then again they may be using those for their exercise too. Blah. Fitness groups. Go exercise on the grass please.

Poor direction by the personal trainer leading the fitness group IMO - these leaders should be well aware of mutual usage of spaces and paths, especially shared paths with bicycles etc.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 am

rdp_au wrote:While their positioning isn't great, and it may be the way the camera has recorded it, but it looks to me like you're travelling pretty quickly through a crowded area.
I thought the same thing. The gopros make slow look fast though, but it still seems to be too fast.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:30 am

rdp_au wrote:

While their positioning isn't great, and it may be the way the camera has recorded it, but it looks to me like you're travelling pretty quickly through a crowded area.

My thoughts too. It appears you're going a bit fast for the traffic / conditions.
2010 BMC SLC01

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:36 am

+1

Only you can best judge what speed you actually rode through there. My only question - were you pedalling with the power on, or coasting and feathering the brakes? Me, I'd definitely be coasting easy with so many people about.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:41 am

Yesterday evening I had an amusing interaction on the way home.

A little after 6pm poodling along the outbound shared path of the Botanic Gardens, having a lovely time moving along at 20km/h adjacent the river. Just taking it easy as there’s always plenty of walkers and joggers doing their bit to stay healthy.

In the near distance I note five young upstanding gentlemen, enjoying some distilled beverages in public, obviously having recently retired from the days employment. Two of the party had disposed of their shoes, whilst their attire showed signs of much vigouros work... quite disheveled and ill-fitting. I do believe the attire was a uniform of sorts, including overly large slacks scuffed at the hems and over-sized casual shirts with logos, inclusive of “Sean John” and perhaps “Wu-Tang”, if i’m not mistaken. As I said... upstanding young gentlemen. I digress. These gents were evenly dispersed accross the path, engaging all and sundry in vigouros and volumous conversation. Generally enjoying their evening in the gardens, perhaps even looking to retire there for the night, as I suspect they had done on many occasions. I approach from their rear and give a polite “ding” of the bell. To which I’m advised that I should go fornicate with myself, in less than gentlemenly language. I pass as well as I could, squeezing through a very small gap and recieve more advice similar to the first in an effort to reafirm their assertion I assume. To which I respond with a query of my own as to what actions they may take in protest and suggest that they lay with their own mothers... to summise “whatchagonnado!”. This retort, rather unsurprisingly, garnered a boisterous response from the engaging party and I am left with no choice as to continue my journey on my bicycle at a greater rate than I had initially anticipated. Whilst I enjoyed our debate, I felt encouraged to inform the two other gentlemen that I soon came accross, dressed in the uniforms of the local constabulary, that there was a party that I had recently engaged with, in possession of some open alcoholic beverages in a public space and having boisterous conversations with passers-by. The pair of officers seemed interested and I left them to investigate at their pleasure.

All-in-all, a terribly enjoyable ride home.

[mod says - edited to remove masked swearing. Please remember this is a family-friendly site and evading the word filter is not permitted.]

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:50 am

I think you are supposed to be sharing the path - according to popular wisdom here. :roll: I've seen this too - I don't bother complaining about it anymore, it achieves nothing and other cyclists seem to encourage this kind of behaviour by pedestrians, either through being devils advocate or deliberate trolling. :roll:

You look to be going too fast through there. I'd have been slowing by the time you went over that bump and being prepared to get off the bike and walk past them. Pretty poor form on the part of the pedestrians. It's already narrow enough there, but they've left their things on the path taking up even more room. :roll:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:54 am

clydesmcdale wrote: To which I respond with a query of my own as to what actions they may take in protest and suggest that they lay with their own mothers...
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
may karma (aka the constabulary) catch up with them.

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 am

Summernight wrote:
fatdudeonabike wrote:Perhaps the real winner was my dog - she peed on his tyre while I was lecturing him :D (no, this wouldnt have been funny on a $5000 road bike - but on a rusty piece of crap being ridden too fast by a guy without a helmet? It was hilarious.)
What's wrong with a dog peeing on a $5000 road bike as compared to peeing on a piece of junk? It all washes off anyway. :lol:
I would just like to think that my dog has a nice taste in bikes :P