5 reasons you should ride to work, and 5 you probably don't

wizdofaus

Re: 5 reasons you should ride to work, and 5 you probably do

Postby wizdofaus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:48 am

Problem is Darwin never really had much issue with traffic or pollution in the first place...
On that basis, New York's a far more interesting example than Portland, but it needs a few more years before the real benefits are likely to show up.

The pollution caused by Chinese bicyclists getting into cars is going to be the starting point for the next post.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:35 am

wizdofaus wrote:Problem is Darwin never really had much issue with traffic or pollution in the first place...
:? :?

You said nothing about these factors in your post.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:05 am

il padrone wrote:
wizdofaus wrote:Problem is Darwin never really had much issue with traffic or pollution in the first place...
:? :?

You said nothing about these factors in your post.
My first post acknowledged them as two of the 'big three' advantages of getting commuters onto bikes, and there's been one post since dedicated to traffic issues. My hope is to come up with 4 or 5 cities from around the world where a significant number of people have shifted from driving to work to cycling, and then detailing the benefits in reduced congestion, reduced pollution and increased health/fitness, as long as I can find some decent data to back it up. Anyway, it might be some weeks off.

Dan

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 am

wizdofaus wrote: My first post acknowledged them as two of the 'big three' advantages of getting commuters onto bikes, and there's been one post since dedicated to traffic issues. My hope is to come up with 4 or 5 cities from around the world where a significant number of people have shifted from driving to work to cycling, and then detailing the benefits in reduced congestion, reduced pollution and increased health/fitness, as long as I can find some decent data to back it up. Anyway, it might be some weeks off.
If you haven't come across Jan Gehl by now, well, you're probably not searching hard enough. He's already done most, if not all the research you're suggesting.

Here, here and here.

You're welcome. Sometimes I think I should take up research for a living. Image

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:33 am

Ah, OK. Well here's a viewpoint on Darwin. They do still have some traffic there, and maybe pollution :P

http://youtu.be/fGEewrHr2q0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 am

Dan wrote: Here, here and here.

You're welcome. Sometimes I think I should take up research for a living. Image
Thanks, though a quick browse didn't immediately point me to the sorts of facts/figures I was looking for, but I didn't expect to find anything without having to hunt it down a bit.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:03 pm

Not cities, but these streets may give you some guide to cities that are doing things to facilitate more human-scale activities, including cycling. One is Australian as well :D
Mandatory helmet law?

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:41 pm

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/infras ... Chap_2.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seems to have some good data for Australia anyway, particularly around page 38/39. Unfortunately it only goes up to 2006.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:57 pm

il padrone wrote:Not cities, but these streets may give you some guide to cities that are doing things to facilitate more human-scale activities, including cycling. One is Australian as well :D
Two in fact. Bourke St gets a mention but a missing newline makes it hard to see
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Need ideas for the next article...I'm thinking something along the lines of how encouraging cycling can help re-vitalise an area (after reading http://theage.domain.com.au/green/redoi ... 2e59b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Don't forget to look closely at what has been achieved in Drachten, NL. The origin of the Shared Spaces movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tye8zJr7pZ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - in Drachten
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgYzyGvMqjo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - here in Graz, Germany
Mandatory helmet law?

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 pm

il padrone wrote:Don't forget to look closely at what has been achieved in Drachten, NL. The origin of the Shared Spaces movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tye8zJr7pZ0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - in Drachten
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgYzyGvMqjo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - here in Graz, Germany
Interesting but I'm not sure that would count as 'revitalising'. Examples of streets/areas that had been struggling commercially but have been revived by discouraging car use and encouraging cycling instead would be great though.
And well, Europe is...Europe...examples from the Anglo world seem to be much more likely to convince people we can do it here.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:03 pm

In many cities streetcars (aka trams) are making a big impact in social connectedness..... but here in Melbourne we know all about that :wink:

Now if only the authorities would let people take bikes aboard trams, just like they do with the exact same trams in other parts of the world :roll:
Mandatory helmet law?

wizdofaus

Postby wizdofaus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:19 pm

il padrone wrote:In many cities streetcars (aka trams) are making a big impact in social connectedness..... but here in Melbourne we know all about that :wink:

Now if only the authorities would let people take bikes aboard trams, just like they do with the exact same trams in other parts of the world :roll:
Honestly I've never wanted to take one a tram. But buses are a different matter...especially V/Line coaches (oh to be able to catch PT all the way to Bright, or Apollo Bay...)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:18 pm

Stuttgart

Barcelona

Boarding a European tram (no details of location)
http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/genera ... ing/41043/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For many people it may be one option to extend their journey and make a commute by bike/tram viable. Always subject to space of course.
Mandatory helmet law?