To Ding or not to Ding

VRE

Re: To Ding or not to Ding

Postby VRE » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:50 pm

coyote wrote:
or a cow.
Now there is a good idea, tie a cow bell off the top tube of your bike and as you move around while riding your bike, the bell will ring all by it self allowing one to keep their hands on the brakes in case something unexpected happens. 8) :idea:
I've always thought one of the most appealing things about bicycles is that they're nice and quiet. Provided you warn pedestrians who may be blocking your way (by whatever method you prefer), why turn the bicycle into a noisy machine?

coyote

Postby coyote » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:01 pm

VRE wrote:
coyote wrote:
or a cow.
Now there is a good idea, tie a cow bell off the top tube of your bike and as you move around while riding your bike, the bell will ring all by it self allowing one to keep their hands on the brakes in case something unexpected happens. 8) :idea:
I've always thought one of the most appealing things about bicycles is that they're nice and quiet. Provided you warn pedestrians who may be blocking your way (by whatever method you prefer), why turn the bicycle into a noisy machine?
To make sure everybody remains safe and unhurt. 8)

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:37 pm

I always ding, and when on foot appreciate being dung, er, dinged.
Cardboard flaps held to the spokes with clothes pegs anyone?
Cheers
Time

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:03 pm

Timeonabike wrote:I always ding, and when on foot appreciate being dung, er, dinged.
Cheers
Time
One of my old work colleagues bought this:

:shock:

I think it was a joke present...

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:14 pm

I did, in my misspent youth, try yelling out "Ping!" instead of ringing a bell. Complete waste of time.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Summernight wrote:
Timeonabike wrote:I always ding, and when on foot appreciate being dung, er, dinged.
Cheers
Time
One of my old work colleagues bought this:

:shock:

I think it was a joke present...
Superb!

VRE

Postby VRE » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:17 am

coyote wrote:
VRE wrote:
coyote wrote:Now there is a good idea, tie a cow bell off the top tube of your bike and as you move around while riding your bike, the bell will ring all by it self allowing one to keep their hands on the brakes in case something unexpected happens. 8) :idea:
To make sure everybody remains safe and unhurt. 8)
Doesn't work too well for cars.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:34 am

twizzle wrote:The general assumption (based on experience) is that headphones result in complete loss of awareness for the wearer.
Only pedestrians though - cycling wearers never loose awareness. ;)
Last edited by RonK on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:47 pm

RonK wrote:
twizzle wrote:The general assumption (based on experience) is that headphones result in complete loss of awareness for the wearer.
Only pedestrians though - cycling wearers never loose awareness.
You forgot the smiley ! :wink:
Actually, I've been out on the Fernleigh Track in Newcastle (twixt Adamstown and Redhead) most days over the last few weeks and I would say that the cyclist earphone wearer count was pretty low, approaching zero in fact. Whereas the pedestrian earphone wearer count was maybe about 30%, mostly fitter female walkers in 'sports' wear. Even these often had one earphone out so they could hear 'real world' stuff. Dog owners in the morning seemed to have it all under control as well. All in all everyone seemed to be getting on OK.
No idea what it is like at the weekend tho, probably hell on earth as the bogans rise out of the wood work :)
Cheers
Richard

vince

Postby vince » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Ding.....................................................no response,
ding...................................................no response,
ding,
" ALRIGHT I ( EXPLETIVE ) HEARD YOU ( EXPLETIVE )!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
but he still remained in the centre of the path almost daring me to clip him, so i braced myself and picked my passing spot and got by unscathed. i tell ya, in my angry young days it may have been a different story. ah well, i guess some people are just angry with the world
2011 Fuji Roubaix 1
"Man plans, God laughs"

munga

Postby munga » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:06 pm

"THEN ( EXPLETIVE ) MOVE OVER, ( EXPLETIVE)"

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:34 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
RonK wrote:
Only pedestrians though - cycling wearers never loose awareness.
You forgot the smiley ! :wink:
Actually, I've been out on the Fernleigh Track in Newcastle (twixt Adamstown and Redhead) most days over the last few weeks and I would say that the cyclist earphone wearer count was pretty low, approaching zero in fact. Whereas the pedestrian earphone wearer count was maybe about 30%, mostly fitter female walkers in 'sports' wear. Even these often had one earphone out so they could hear 'real world' stuff. Dog owners in the morning seemed to have it all under control as well. All in all everyone seemed to be getting on OK.
No idea what it is like at the weekend tho, probably hell on earth as the bogans rise out of the wood work :)
Cheers
Richard
Was on the track between 8 and 10am yesterday. A lot of riders out (training for Loop the Lake probably) and everyone pretty much behaving themselves, riders and walkers/joggers. I did note though that a lot of peds acknowledged the sound of the bell, either with a single step left or a wave of the hand. Some even said thanks.

Here's a question though: why do some riders choose not to warn other riders they are overtaking them? Yesterday I had a few overtaking riders call: "Passing" or "Overtaking" but more who chose to do nothing, just roll on by without warning. Passing a ped without warning is one thing because it is a relatively quick exercise but passing another rider who is going at somewhere near your speed is another thing entirely.

Are good manners and courtesy dead? Please tell me because I just don't know whether I should stay as Mr Nice Guy or start taking ar$e-ole lessons :evil: .
Not my circus, not my monkeys

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:03 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:Here's a question though: why do some riders choose not to warn other riders they are overtaking them?
Mate and I were crossing Commonwealth Avenue Bridge post brekky one morning, I was tail, he was lead, we were approaching two peds from behind and needed to pull out to overtake. I did the reflex head check, but my mate didn't... nearly got cleaned up by this tosser. It was obvious to blind freddy that we were going to pull out to pass the pedestrians, but he abused my mate for trying to pull across in front of him!

Just lucky for him he went off down a side path, otherwise he was going to cop some serious abuse when we caught up to him.

Seriously - I'm amazed that people ride bicycles like this. If they did it in cars, the road toll would be huge. How does the smallest vestige of common sense disappear when some people are on a bike?
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

munga

Postby munga » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:08 pm

i blame this:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:50 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:
Was on the track between 8 and 10am yesterday. A lot of riders out (training for Loop the Lake probably) and everyone pretty much behaving themselves, riders and walkers/joggers. I did note though that a lot of peds acknowledged the sound of the bell, either with a single step left or a wave of the hand. Some even said thanks.

Here's a question though: why do some riders choose not to warn other riders they are overtaking them? Yesterday I had a few overtaking riders call: "Passing" or "Overtaking" but more who chose to do nothing, just roll on by without warning. Passing a ped without warning is one thing because it is a relatively quick exercise but passing another rider who is going at somewhere near your speed is another thing entirely.

Are good manners and courtesy dead? Please tell me because I just don't know whether I should stay as Mr Nice Guy or start taking ar$e-ole lessons :evil: .
These ones who fly past without giving any notice drive me mad. I usually go after them and if u do manage to catch them, I'll have a chat with them. But so often it's a guy out training with his buddy wheel sucking at 45km/h on a shared path (a reasonable size one). Yes I could just about catch them - but I'd just as much not bother. That's at my physical limits holding that speed for a long time. :oops:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:08 am

Please do be aware that it is simply good manners and courtesy (and certainly not essential in all situations). I know I don't always do it - depends on the situation and rider.

It isn't a legal requirement. What is a legal requirement is for all riders to maintain a steady line, and to signal any changes from that, as well as not moving into the path of other cyclists. Rear-view mirror use certainly helps here. Overtakers must overtake safely - I'd read that as allowing sufficient room and an appropriate speed difference for the conditions. No hard rules - it all depends on the circumstances. But expecting a bell-ring from every overtaking cyclist, every time, is ridiculous :roll: .

Do you expect the same from every overtaking driver, a horn honk??
twizzle wrote:I did the reflex head check, but my mate didn't... nearly got cleaned up by this tosser.
With respect, there is your problem. I'm sorry to say it but I believe your mate was also a 'tosser' :|
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:02 am

munga wrote:i blame this:

:lol: :lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:08 am

Did my first ride in a month on Saturday and the recalcitrant ITB wasn’t too bad – yay! I was on a main road, no shared paths or pedestrians but lots of bikes out enjoying the cooler conditions, and I found myself passing quite a few. For riders who were obviously aware of what was around them and doing regular head-checks, I would give them plenty of room and pass without first calling out. I would say ‘hello’ or ‘good morning’ as I pulled alongside. In every case I got a favourable response. For slower riders, or those who appeared to be in a world of their own, I would slow behind them, pick a safe place to pass, and call out ‘passing on your right’. Again, seemed to work OK. I use a rear vision mirror (essential on a recumbent) which means I am almost never surprised by faster bikes coming past, just humbled :oops: I didn’t use my bell at all. That gets used when passing pedestrians on shared paths on my commutes. Horses for courses.

hewey

Postby hewey » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:39 pm

A nice honk from one of these puppies 10m out is perfect. Loud enough to get people's attention, but friendly/funny enough that you almost always get a smile :mrgreen:

munga

Postby munga » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:07 pm

"oh look, they've let hewey out for the day. how quaint"

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:36 am

There are several types of bell required, I only have one fitted to my bike and it always sounds the same. I don't generally use my voice as a warning.
Assume on a shared path for the following examples.
1. Courtesy: hello there, I'm approaching on a bike just letting you know. Carry on. ie maintain your line and there will be no issues.
2. Caution: hi, you appear to be a little unaware of your surrounds and don't look like you are maintaining your line and may move into my path.
3. Warning: this is a shared path you are not using shared path etiquette, please move back left etc.
4. Expletive deleted: what the ... are you doing? We just about collided.

As the response to a bell varies from ignorance to acknowledgement, fright or anger I have adopted the following. The response of ignorance/acknowledgement is most often with 1-2, fright anger with 3-4 but not always.

Generally I use
1. Infrequently(one ding), these people may get a fright and I don't want to sound pushy when their progress has no impact on my own.
2. Usually(one ding), most of the time it wakes them up and we can both get on with it.
3. As required (couple of dings) often followed by a polite vocal "please keep left" etc after passing.
4. Rarely (many dings) most often evasive action is required so braking and steering mo important than ding. Often vocal response is all there is time for- avoid expletives where possible.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:59 am

No excuses guys :P

http://www.rbbell.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 am

il padrone wrote:No excuses guys :P

http://www.rbbell.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's using a flat bar... *brain explodes* :P

I'm interested in that bell if it actually works. Do they sell them in Australia?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:16 am

Their address is Mt Waverley. They list a pretty good range of shops in Melbourne as dealers.

Bayswater Cycles, Ivanhoe Cycles, Mt Waverley Cycles, lots more.
Mandatory helmet law?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:21 am

il padrone wrote:Their address is Mt Waverley. They list a pretty good range of shops in Melbourne as dealers.

Bayswater Cycles, Ivanhoe Cycles, Mt Waverley Cycles, lots more.
Thanks. Will have to make a trip to a shop to check them out.