Which saddle is for you?

moosterbounce

Re: Which saddle is for you?

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Give a Selle SMP a try too. I really like mine and am considering the same for the cx bike.

I have just fitted an ism adamo to my tt bike which is proving much nicer than the stock saddle. On my tt bike, as I ride it on the trainer quite a bit, I found that the stock saddle wasn't cutting it as I didn't move around at all, but it was fine when on the road. Yet to test the adamo on the road.

I used to have a selle c2 saddle on my roadie but it became steadily more uncomfortable. Apparently 15kg of lard can make a device of torture quite bearable :wink:

Try lots. You won't be sorry you did.

Pottsy

Postby Pottsy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:54 pm

How anyone can ride on a SMP saddle is a mystery to me. Its like a you're on a knife

A Specialized Romin is the one for me.I used to have a toupe, but it there was something not quite right with it on my new bike.

I might even try a Romin on my MTB, which currently has a Phenom on it.

newie

Postby newie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:00 pm

The Walrus wrote:
newie wrote:
The Walrus wrote: Anyone want a Specialized Toupe saddle that's only been used for 500 k's? Great quality and very comfy LOL
The Toupe is my favourite saddle!
What colour, width and price?
Jeez I might have sold the old one before I've even got the new one! It's black & 143mm...

No idea on price other than the new one will cost me $125!

Where are you Newie...Newie?

I
Yeah - Newie from Newie (not very imaginitive I know).
I would probably be more interested if it was white.
You could probably get a decent price for it on ebay or similar, once you find a new one.

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:05 pm

newie wrote:
The Walrus wrote:
newie wrote: The Toupe is my favourite saddle!
What colour, width and price?
Jeez I might have sold the old one before I've even got the new one! It's black & 143mm...

No idea on price other than the new one will cost me $125!

Where are you Newie...Newie?

I
Yeah - Newie from Newie (not very imaginitive I know).
I would probably be more interested if it was white.
You could probably get a decent price for it on ebay or similar, once you find a new one.
I'm in Newcastle as well!

To be honest I'm not bothered about selling it mate, but as you'd expressed an interest...once I've found my 'forever saddle' you can have it!
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:25 pm

Pottsy wrote:How anyone can ride on a SMP saddle is a mystery to me. Its like a you're on a knife

A Specialized Romin is the one for me.I used to have a toupe, but it there was something not quite right with it on my new bike.

I might even try a Romin on my MTB, which currently has a Phenom on it.
You are setting it up wrong then.
Specialized saddles blech!!
Same goes for Fizik.

newie

Postby newie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:41 am

The Walrus wrote:...once I've found my 'forever saddle' you can have it!
Good luck with the search.

The Toupe I have on my Giro is the older version, in blue and white, which nicely matches the paint job on the bike (through luck not design). If figure one day that saddle will reach the end of it's life and I will need a replacement, but black would look a bit odd. I have a Selle Italia SLK lady gel flow on my Contessa Foil, which I am also pretty happy with, although I do think the Toupe is maybe a slightly better fit for me, but there isn't much in it. I seem to be one of those lucky people who doesn't have too much trouble with saddles. Even the stock saddle on the Foil only started to cause discomfort over the 100 km mark.

Anyway, if you see a chick on a black and purple Scott, out on Fernleigh one day - say hi!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:32 pm

A forever saddle?
Weeell, 30 years at least if you do some basic care...
il padrone wrote:Rx = Brooks leather

While the B17 doesn't suit my bum, there's plenty of other options and I know what works for me.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Pottsy

Postby Pottsy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:24 pm

sumgy wrote:You are setting it up wrong then
SMP saddles have to much of a cut out & not enough "chair" to place your sit bones on

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:57 pm

Pottsy wrote:
SMP saddles have to much of a cut out & not enough "chair" to place your sit bones on
for a small percentage of people... Some ppl live them for fit...

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Pottsy wrote:
You must have massively wide sit bones.
I have the almost bog standard 143mm wide sit bones and both the Dynamic and the Composit work perfectly,

Or you have ridden a badly set up SMP as your sitbones should not be anywhere near the cut out.

Marty Moose

Postby Marty Moose » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 pm

For me a rounded saddle the Prologo Scratch pro nack is just the best for me. I've tried heaps this is the winner easy.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:09 am

A third vote for a Brooks anchor. As heavy as they are they are so comfy. I have 4 team pro's on my various bikes. All have molded to my sit bones. Can't get any more custom than that. I've done up to 255km in one ride and no discomfort.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:12 am

singlespeedscott wrote:A third vote for a Brooks anchor. As heavy as they are they are so comfy. I have 4 team pro's on my various bikes. All have molded to my sit bones. Can't get any more custom than that. I've done up to 255km in one ride and no discomfort.
Sadly Brooks does not have enough rail length for me to get the setback I need.
I have one on my MTB and like it, but it is super slammed back on the rails to get it close to perfect.
It wont work on my road bike.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:53 am

sumgy wrote:
Pottsy wrote:You must have massively wide sit bones.
I have the almost bog standard 143mm wide sit bones and both the Dynamic and the Composite work perfectly
Um, you mean 143 saddle sit bones don't you? Most people who ride a 143 would have 110mm or less sit bones I would assume. Mine are about 110 and I find the 143 slightly too thin for me.

Another vote for Brooks. I haven't tried SMP yet. It's usually a two horse race between tensioned leather and SMP saddles as to which is most popular for comfort among long term users. Racers usually lean toward SMP while others are more likely to go Brooks.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:38 am

Nobody wrote:
sumgy wrote:
Pottsy wrote:You must have massively wide sit bones.
I have the almost bog standard 143mm wide sit bones and both the Dynamic and the Composite work perfectly
Um, you mean 143 saddle sit bones don't you? Most people who ride a 143 would have 110mm or less sit bones I would assume. Mine are about 110 and I find the 143 slightly too thin for me.

Another vote for Brooks. I haven't tried SMP yet. It's usually a two horse race between tensioned leather and SMP saddles as to which is most popular for comfort among long term users. Racers usually lean toward SMP while others are more likely to go Brooks.
Sorry, yes the 143mm saddle recommendation.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 am

sumgy wrote:Sadly Brooks does not have enough rail length for me to get the setback I need.
I have one on my MTB and like it, but it is super slammed back on the rails to get it close to perfect.
Get a seatpost with more setback?

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:53 am

barefoot wrote:
sumgy wrote:Sadly Brooks does not have enough rail length for me to get the setback I need.
Get a seatpost with more setback?
Nah.
Super happy with my 3 SMP's.
Mind you there is not many options that truly provide more setback.
Some indicate that they do but in reality provide very little additional adjustment.
FSA is a good example of this.
Their 35mm setback post gave about an extra 5mm of extra adjustment over my 25mm setback Moots post.
Comparitively my SMP saddle rails are 95 - 100mm long vs most saddles that are 70 - 75mm long.
Going by this thread, the useable rails on a Brooks is closer to 60mm.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:16 pm

sumgy wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:A third vote for a Brooks anchor. As heavy as they are they are so comfy. I have 4 team pro's on my various bikes. All have molded to my sit bones. Can't get any more custom than that. I've done up to 255km in one ride and no discomfort.
I agree the rails are a bit short but I have no such issues with the saddles clamped in the middle of the rails on both road and mtb.

All my seatposts have setback. Campy records and choruses on the roadies. Thomson Elite on the MTB.

I have long legs for my height, inseam is 88.6cm at 178cm tall.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:20 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:
sumgy wrote:
I agree the rails are a bit short but I have no such issues with the saddles clamped in the middle of the rails on both road and mtb.

All my seatposts have setback. Campy records and choruses on the roadies. Thomson Elite on the MTB.

I have long legs for my height, inseam is 88.6cm at 178cm tall.
But you are short Scotty :D

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:09 pm

Compared to you mate I am not the most statuesque.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Compared to you mate I am not the most statuesque.
But you have the boyish good looks. :mrgreen:

Axle

Postby Axle » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:04 pm

Here's a helpful YouTube video on comfort and support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-wdfEcedq8

The Walrus

Postby The Walrus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Tested about five saddles so far. The names escape and confuse me! I have saw sit bones...all terrible.
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:24 pm

The Walrus wrote:Tested about five saddles so far. The names escape and confuse me! I have saw sit bones...all terrible.
Lol, its great isn't , my list of test saddles so far (Many of these bought and sold at a loss)

Prologo Scratch Ti
Specialized Toupe
Specialized Romin
Fizik Aliante
Fizik Aliante Versus
Selle Italia Max SLR
WTB Rocket V
WTB Silverado
WTB Pure V
SMP Dynamic.

Out of this list so far, the Rocket V has been closest, but still wasn't quite there.....
Last edited by Jesmol on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Pottsy wrote:
There are actually two different Selle shapes. Broadly speaking the 'Forma' model shape is a little wider cupping type shape while the 'Composit' model is a narrow perch type shape. The SMP website confidently informs me that the Composit shape is suited to my waist measurement, but having tried both types I went for the Forma model shape (in the Dynamic model, minimal padding).

I haven't tried a more comfortable saddle. The first two weeks are a little strange. But I can now do 100kms + without any discomfort at all. Previous saddles brought on numbness and burning. Basically the SMP, if used correctly, is intended to engage with the sit bones only. This allows all the mushy undercarriage bits to be themselves and free of pain.