Moron Motorists #3

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:52 pm

trailgumby wrote:Yep, report it. Burn a DVD and use Oxford's template. Can't prove it, but I reckon that was intentional. At least you can get him for failing to give way.

I reckon that was payback for whatever you said as you passed when he was obstructing the bike lane.
Didn't twig it was the same bullybus :oops: Yep, malice intended. Put him in.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:31 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Yep, report it. Burn a DVD and use Oxford's template. Can't prove it, but I reckon that was intentional. At least you can get him for failing to give way.

I reckon that was payback for whatever you said as you passed when he was obstructing the bike lane.
Didn't twig it was the same bullybus :oops: Yep, malice intended. Put him in.
I didn't pick it until the second viewing and wasn't sure until the and third ...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:45 am

Andrew

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:36 am

Aushiker wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqcmrTKHTJQ&hd=1[/youtube]

Andrew
^^^ That's one thing I don't miss about Fremantle. I lived and cycled there for about 8 years, and saw that behaviour frequently.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:02 am

VRE wrote:^^^ That's one thing I don't miss about Fremantle. I lived and cycled there for about 8 years, and saw that behaviour frequently.
It my "favourite" roundabout. I am so used to this behavior now that I had already slowed down expecting at least an over the line the stop which is the norm. I am pretty sure this guy didn't even look which is why he drove straight through. Anyway I am in the process of reporting him. I have a precedent (the same driving style at the same roundabout which resulted in a TIN for careless driving) so expect him to be charged with the same offence.

Andrew
Andrew

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:34 am

Aushiker wrote:It my "favourite" roundabout. I am so used to this behavior now that I had already slowed down expecting at least an over the line the stop which is the norm. I am pretty sure this guy didn't even look which is why he drove straight through. Anyway I am in the process of reporting him. I have a precedent (the same driving style at the same roundabout which resulted in a TIN for careless driving) so expect him to be charged with the same offence.

Andrew
He definitely didn't look at all - there is no hesitation in his driving into that roundabout. He may even have done the same thing were you a car.

Some people look for other cars at the roundabout AFTER they've gone into it or have rolled their car halfway across the stop line. And others look 20 metres before the roundabout and don't look again. :roll: Terrible driving. Glad to hear something resulted from the last incident.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:41 pm

Out running an errand on the fixie, on the way home came across this confused golfer.

I had noticed they were probalby looking for a spaceto park so was hanging back a little. Saw the brake lights and indicator, they must have seen a bike behind so didn't drive straight in. I then thought they would reverse park, but instead stopped immediately BESIDE the space. Didn't look back after passing so no idea what happened next.
Last edited by bychosis on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:45 pm

bychosis wrote:Out running an errand on the fixie, on the way home came across this confused golfer.
no confusion about it. they indicated and stopped. they were going to reverse into that parking space.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Normally when you reverse into a space you start from in front of it, cars don't go sideways. GoPro special effects working well, hard to see there was no space behind the golf, as I pass you can see the parked car in front is still in front of the golf.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:57 pm

jasonc wrote:
bychosis wrote:Out running an errand on the fixie, on the way home came across this confused golfer.
no confusion about it. they indicated and stopped. they were going to reverse into that parking space.
Yep looked pretty good to me. If anything they showed awareness of the cyclist coming quickly from behind and allowed him to pass before pulling into the space.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:58 pm

bychosis wrote:Normally when you reverse into a space you start from in front of it, cars don't go sideways. GoPro special effects working well, hard to see there was no space behind the golf, as I pass you can see the parked car in front is still in front of the golf.
At least they didn't reverse park into a space on a one way road with the car yet to pull out of the parking spot :P

Certainly was interesting passing a 400m traffic jam as a result :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Even allowing for GoPro distortion, it looked to me like they had space for two cars there. No reason why they could not have nosed in then reversed into line. Especially if they were aware of traffic behind :? .
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

herzog

Postby herzog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:15 pm

il padrone wrote:Even allowing for GoPro distortion, it looked to me like they had space for two cars there. No reason why they could not have nosed in then reversed into line. Especially if they were aware of traffic behind :? .
And if the cyclist tries to snake up their left hand side just as they pull in?

Yes it happens - even with a clear blinker signal. Watch the silly cyclists series on YouTube.

I think this driver is one of the good ones and should be thanked not mocked. I'll take caution over rashness every time.

m@

Postby m@ » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:31 pm

herzog wrote:I think this driver is one of the good ones and should be thanked not mocked. I'll take caution over rashness every time.
+1
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:33 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Certainly was interesting passing a 400m traffic jam as a result :lol:
You should try Docklands Costco some time - I've only been there once to help my mother return a TV and... O...M...G...

The traffic jam jammed up in the Costco carpark itself, the access road leading to Costco and its carpark, the access road leading to Costco and the Harbour Town area (Costco customer cars were blocking the whole two lanes)... And also jammed up the slip lane leading from Footscray Road to Harbour Town. It was insane.

I didn't bother waiting in line - I cheated and parked somewhere else and it was faster to walk a bit further than it would have been waiting in that line. I made a mental note never ever to go near Costco with a car on a weekend.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 pm

m@ wrote:
herzog wrote:I think this driver is one of the good ones and should be thanked not mocked. I'll take caution over rashness every time.
+1
yup. they indicated THEN slowed down.

zero

Postby zero » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:49 pm

bychosis wrote:Normally when you reverse into a space you start from in front of it, cars don't go sideways. GoPro special effects working well, hard to see there was no space behind the golf, as I pass you can see the parked car in front is still in front of the golf.
Just looks like conservative driving to me - some people don't judge parallel parks well and take their time over it - or they judged really well and stopped you early to try reserve some space to back into (similar to claiming a lane).

I'd ah, not overtake a parallel parker with oncoming traffic as that right wheel will swing out. Personally I would not overtake with oncoming traffic period.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:51 pm

zero wrote:I'd ah, not overtake a parallel parker with oncoming traffic as that right wheel will swing out. Personally I would not overtake with oncoming traffic period.
+1 Note you'll be at fault if the swinging right wheel hits you, provided it doesn't cross the centre line
Last edited by wellington_street on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:59 pm

jasonc wrote:
m@ wrote:
+1
yup. they indicated THEN slowed down.
no they slowed, braked, then indicated then stopped somewhere unexpected. I'll agree they driver is caustious, but definately not good. Good drivers don't stop in the middle of a lane in a position that only allows them to travle forward.

hannos

Postby hannos » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Their stopping should not have affected you if you were riding far enough from the rear of the vehicle.
I also think the motorist did the right thing, ie indicated their intentions quite clearly and early enough.
2010 BMC SLC01

arkle

Postby arkle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:40 pm

That seemed like good, thoughtful and considerate driving to me.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:58 pm

I see a parking place for a couple of cars on the left. All he had to do was indicate left and slow, then turn in.
The cyclist then knows his intent. A motorist can not allow for a cyclist to pass on his left after an indication.

I also think the car was too far onto the centre of the road to do a reverse in. If he was going to reverse in he would have lapped the left vehicle further up and then bagan his rear move.
If he wants to reverse in from where he is, it shows how much room there is on his left. Then why did he not drive in?

The only thing the rider did at all wrong was to pass with an oncoming car, but that can be qualified only by the rider in the circumstance.
This was clearly a confused driver of a motor car to me. Just my thoughts.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Coolabah

Postby Coolabah » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:48 pm

il padrone wrote:Even allowing for GoPro distortion, it looked to me like they had space for two cars there. No reason why they could not have nosed in then reversed into line. Especially if they were aware of traffic behind :? .
We sometimes assume this is an ideal world ! I now HATE driving anywhere in a car ( very rarely drive when I can ride or walk ) apart from it not being as fun as on 2 wheels , you lose a lot of sensory input- on my bike I can hear what's around me as well as see better than in a car - no pillar or fogged windows / headrests blocking my view ! I find looking for a parking space ( in a car ) particularly whilst in an unfamiliar location to involve many neural synapses firing in a very short time - look for pedestrians , read road signs , oh is that person leaving , watchout for that cat running across the road - you get the idea...

I suspect that the motorist registered " lookout , bike ! " and decided the very safest thing was to stop and let the following cyclist pass - correct me if I am wrong but isn't is up to following traffic to cope with whats ahead ie if traffic travelling in the same direction as yourself is stopped , then you ( motorist or cyclist) need to cope with that ??
Yes, they could have nosed into that space, I suspect they thought "hang on a second,is that bike going to zoom up my left like happened to me 10 times last month ? Maybe I'll just wait 2 seconds "

...how many times have we criticised motorists for overtaking etc when " they just could have waited 2 seconds " ????

edit : oh , and I very much think that motorist indicated at the "same time" as braking - there is a 1 second lag on the video clip which in my car happens too : flip indicator , 0.5- 1.0 second lag for indicator to show ... try it yourselves....

arkle

Postby arkle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:03 pm

outnabike wrote:I see a parking place for a couple of cars on the left. All he had to do was indicate left and slow, then turn in.
The cyclist then knows his intent. A motorist can not allow for a cyclist to pass on his left after an indication.

I also think the car was too far onto the centre of the road to do a reverse in. If he was going to reverse in he would have lapped the left vehicle further up and then bagan his rear move.
If he wants to reverse in from where he is, it shows how much room there is on his left. Then why did he not drive in?

The only thing the rider did at all wrong was to pass with an oncoming car, but that can be qualified only by the rider in the circumstance.
He'd probably seen the bike behind him and decided not to risk turning straight into the space in case the cyclist came up the inside and hit the car, and he deliberately stayed out in the road to give the cyclist enough room to come up the inside. If I'd been driving the car I'd have done the same things. You can't safely turn directly across a cyclist's path even if you've indicated in good time.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:55 pm

arkle wrote:
outnabike wrote:I see a parking place for a couple of cars on the left. All he had to do was indicate left and slow, then turn in.

He'd probably seen the bike behind him and decided not to risk turning straight into the space in case the cyclist came up the inside and hit the car, and he deliberately stayed out in the road to give the cyclist enough room to come up the inside. If I'd been driving the car I'd have done the same things. You can't safely turn directly across a cyclist's path even if you've indicated in good time.

arkle
Hi arkle, Fair comment but you just don't know what was in his head do you? The choice of that word "probably", says we don't know much about the drivers thought process.
I reckon there is to much credit being given to the motorist.

He saw the cyclist, he thought the cyclist may go around on the left, he was being courteous. All assumptions of good will.

But what did the cyclist see, a bloke who stopped in the middle of the road and seemed confused. There is not enough of putting ourselves into the position of the cyclist.

If you stand back and really just watch motorists in action you will see this sort of process all the time, and there can be no motorist in sight.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers