Don't you love exploding tools?

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't you love exploding tools?

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:27 pm

I had a crank brothers tool that usually resides in an aluminium cover. On my last trip I didn't have it in the case, it was straight in the saddle bag which looked like a war zone by the end having dismantled itself and spread itself thoughout the saddle bag. Back to my old school Alien multitool.

Which tools do you take and prefer on the MTB?
Cycling is in my BNA

bychosis

Re: Don't you love exploding tools?

Postby bychosis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:20 am

I got a cheap multi tool to go in the commuter saddle bag. It uses an Allen key bolt at each end to hold it together and it kept coming undone... Cue the loctite. Good tool resides in the MTB kit, super light two piece Topeak power 21, this has also been my only chain tool for many years.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Topeak-Power-21-Function-Tool
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:45 pm

I bought one of these because it fits in my steerer tube.

http://www.amazon.com/Cannondale-Head-W ... B000N9847Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It hasn't arrived yet, so I have no idea how good it is.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:47 pm

A mini with chainbreaker from T7, tightly enclosed in a section of old tube to stop it rattling/self dismantling, I've had an early Alien do that :roll: Full size 4,5,6mm keys. Crank Bros Speed Lever and a patch kit I really should check out the glue hasn't gone off...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Yeah, well, I could make comments about Crank Bros engineering but shall refrain. :wink: :P

I have a Topeak with the 10 bazillion tools including chainbreaker in a little wetsuit rubber pouch. Sits in my Camelbak with the rest of my "stuff". Seems to stay together, and gets used a few times a year, usually to get other guys bikes going again... one of the reasons I try to keep group ride numbers fairly small. Mechanicals! :x :wink:

It seems I have a certain reputation for being Mr Fixit. Would you believe someone asked me if I had a pedal spanner in my Camelbak? :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:24 am

I saw a guy on an evening social ride, fully equipped, with not a spare spoke, but an entire wheel sticking out of one of his rear bags.

He may have just purchased it, or, judging a book by its cover, may carry one around "just in case".

sblack

Postby sblack » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 pm

trailgumby wrote:Yeah, well, I could make comments about Crank Bros engineering but shall refrain. :wink: :P

I have a Topeak with the 10 bazillion tools including chainbreaker in a little wetsuit rubber pouch. Sits in my Camelbak with the rest of my "stuff". Seems to stay together, and gets used a few times a year, usually to get other guys bikes going again... one of the reasons I try to keep group ride numbers fairly small. Mechanicals! :x :wink:

It seems I have a certain reputation for being Mr Fixit. Would you believe someone asked me if I had a pedal spanner in my Camelbak? :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:
Does your Topeak tool not have one? I have an ALiEN II in both road and MTB saddlebags and it has a pedal spanner.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 pm

It has an 8mm hex adapter, which fits my XT pedals, but that's a hex driver, not a pedal spanner.

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:47 pm

I have Lezyne multi-tool that includes a spoke key. It has a neoprene slip to keep it together and cushioned. I've only had to use it a few times, but I've been entirely happy with it and the quality is typically Lezyne. It''s a Rap14 I think - been a while since I bought it.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:54 am

There's more than a few brands/models of multitool that do self disassembly...the CB ones are not exceptional in this regard. I've got a couple and they have both loosened up a bit over time. Nothing a quick nip up won't fix. That said nothing much wrong with the Topeak ones either.

I've a few CB products including one of their wheelsets. The only CB component that I've used that I can't recommend are their QRs. They do work but there's better out there for less.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle