Good SMH article on cycling Pedestrian interaction

hannos

Good SMH article on cycling Pedestrian interaction

Postby hannos » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/f ... 2e30t.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2010 BMC SLC01

human909

Re: Good SMH article on cycling Pedestrian interaction

Postby human909 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Is it April fools already? This is not what i expect from our newspapers!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 pm

human909 wrote:Is it April fools already? This is not what i expect from our newspapers!
The author:
http://www.sydneycyclist.com/profile/MichaelOReilly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Here are a few things to consider if you’re a pedestrian, a cyclist, or both.
If you’re cycling on the pavement, don’t test the goodwill of walkers. If you want to go fast, get back on the road. And do some research on quieter, safer roads to use.
Something for me to consider. I have the choice of being a threat to peds or being under threat by drivers. Neither very palatable for me, but this is one of the problems of living in Sydney I suppose. I was honked and verbally abused for being on the road only last week. :?
Last edited by Nobody on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:20 pm

Good article! Sadly I fear this man has no future as a journalist in Australia...
Even the comments have a minimum of rants and road rule ignorance!
Cheers
Richard

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:52 pm

So in summary - treat others with respect. Ahh if only we could make this a universal outlook!

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:46 pm

The first picture (the cyclist weaving through the pedestrians) makes me laugh/cringe. I know the article is talking about respect and sharing the road, but from the first viewing of that picture if you didn't see the cyclist's green light you might think he was running a red, when really it looks suspiciously like all those peds are running the red - this happens so, so often in the Melbourne CBD.

Check the lights before stepping out people! There are a whole huge line of cars/bikes waiting to obey their green and you keep walking across the road on your red! :roll:

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Well spotted summerknight.

I agree with this article. One day cycling will reach critical mass of participation, where it's as legitimate and unquestioned as driving, taking the bus, or walking.

Until then it's to our benefit to treat cycling trips as an opportunity to demonstrate our bona fides - and put the lie to the anti-cycling gasbags, the p-plated petrol heads, and the closet-case shock jocks

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:08 pm

As if thousands of riders cried out in joy...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:25 pm

Oh, goody...open comments.. *ignore*

Jim

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:06 pm

Summernight wrote:The first picture (the cyclist weaving through the pedestrians) makes me laugh/cringe. I know the article is talking about respect and sharing the road, but from the first viewing of that picture if you didn't see the cyclist's green light you might think he was running a red, when really it looks suspiciously like all those peds are running the red - this happens so, so often in the Melbourne CBD.

Check the lights before stepping out people! There are a whole huge line of cars/bikes waiting to obey their green and you keep walking across the road on your red! :roll:
It is the corner of King St & Pitt St Sydney and peds wlaking on mass in front of a cyclist is all too common at this and the next intersection King & Castlereagh - yes it is part of my everyday commute, oh joy

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:26 pm

I like Michael OReilly. He usually writes level headed pieces that don't seek to demonise some groups within or without of cycling.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:58 am

I'd love to go through that intersection at speed blasting the airzound at the last minute scaring the absolute crap out of people :lol: :lol: :lol:

VRE

Postby VRE » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:31 am

WyvernRH wrote:Good article! Sadly I fear this man has no future as a journalist in Australia...
I think you're wrong there, Richard. Any articles related to cycling, no matter what the article's stance, will generate large numbers of comments from the readers (not to mention furious debate), and this is exactly what the SMH wants.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:38 am

Lukeyboy wrote:I'd love to go through that intersection at speed blasting the airzound at the last minute scaring the absolute crap out of people :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cyclists do go through that intersection at last minute. When they do it to me, I usually shout at them "Red lights are for stopping". They always do it on corner of Bridge Street and Loftus Street too - probably because they don't want to stop on the uphill section. :|

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:45 am

Lukeyboy wrote:I'd love to go through that intersection at speed blasting the airzound at the last minute scaring the absolute crap out of people :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please film it when you do. With multiple cameras so I can see the looks on their faces! Although they'll just swear at you when you do. :roll:
find_bruce wrote:It is the corner of King St & Pitt St Sydney and peds wlaking on mass in front of a cyclist is all too common at this and the next intersection King & Castlereagh - yes it is part of my everyday commute, oh joy
We have a couple in Melbourne (Collins Street and Swanston Street between the middle tram stop and the footpath being a particularly bad one) but I don't think I've ever seen it as bad as is shown in the picture. Usually they will still walk 2-3 seconds after the green has turned for me and then self preservation kicks in when the cars get annoyed and start rolling through.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:39 am

This be why I avoid the Kent St bike lanes, along with the highly anti-bike traffic light phasing..

I prefer to turn right off the Coathanger exit ramp instead of going left, and head down to Hickson Road and Sussex St. Far fewer lights, very few sheep, erm I mean iPod zombies, erm I mean pedestrians.

Better still is Barangaroo. Nice water views, the percussive sound of rock hammers in the mornings, and when the cruise ships are in I get to practice my singletrack riding skills through the diversion and over the unramped driveways. :mrgreen: