Lower Back Pain + Bike Fit

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
nguyenimproved

Lower Back Pain + Bike Fit

Postby nguyenimproved » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:44 pm

Hey guys! Long time reader, first time poster.

Basically, I've been riding mountain bikes for a long time, and I use slicks when I commute.
Recently, my dad impulse bought a road bike and told me I could use it too.
I am 167cm tall and the bike frame is 56cm. I had a quick ride on it around the neighbourhood, only about 3km.
I already have lower back pain... I need to have the seat very low in order to reach the PEDALS and I have no standover height, at all.

I'm quite sure it's not meant to be that uncomfortable, should I not bother with this bike? (Specialized Allez Comp 2009)
Would the back pain be from being new to road bikes, or because of the incorrect fit?

Any advice would be great!

durianrider

Re: Lower Back Pain + Bike Fit

Postby durianrider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Im guessing you are reaching too far forward.

Hard to say without a photo of you on the bike riding at a decent effort.

Measurements are one thing. Seeing how someone performs under load is another.
Vegan since 2001.

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:21 pm

I'm 10cm taller than you are; my husband a bit taller again and we both ride 54cm bikes. I'm guessing it would be very hard to make that bike comfortable for you.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:51 pm

The bike is far too big for u to ride... U need a 51, or a 54.... Def not a 56

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:55 pm

BTW you need some standover space - or else sooner or later this will be you on dismount -> :shock:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:08 pm

The size guide below is for Specialized Venge, Tarmac, Allez, & Langster road bikes
Bike Size Rider Height Rider Height (cm)
49cm 5' 0" - 5' 5" 152 - 165
52cm 5' 5" - 5' 8" 165 - 173
54cm 5' 8" - 5' 10" 173 - 178
56cm 5' 10" - 6' 0" 178 - 183
58cm 6' 0" - 6' 3" 183 - 191
61cm 6' 3" - 6' 6" 191 - 198

All sizes guides are an estimate. To confirm a bicycle size is correct for you we recommend you visit your nearest Specialized Concept store.

richbee

Postby richbee » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:16 am

winstonw wrote:All sizes guides are an estimate. To confirm a bicycle size is correct for you we recommend you visit your nearest Specialized Concept store.
A very obvious plug for Specialized bikes there...

I'm 5'8" and ride a 52cm frame. My first road bike as an adult getting back into it was a 54cm which was too big for me. Settled into a 52 on my next frame and never looked back

GeoffInBrisbane

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:23 pm

richbee wrote:
winstonw wrote:All sizes guides are an estimate. To confirm a bicycle size is correct for you we recommend you visit your nearest Specialized Concept store.
A very obvious plug for Specialized bikes there...
Not really, since the bike in question is a Specialized it is relevant information.

FWIW, I'm a shade under 5'10", short legs long body, and I'm on a 54...
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:38 pm

I am same height and ride a 52 bianchi with a 70mm stem.
Rode it 100klms and only pain was my arse bones.

Stiff neck and shoulders at times but otherwise perfect.
A 56 is what my mates ride and their both 6ft.

DG

Postby DG » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi. I hope it is not too late to post on this as a month has gone by since your original post. I do not think you have been given a good answer yet. I do not think it is bike fit. In the old type of bikes with horizontal top-tubes and good-old steel frames I have owned bikes hopelessly too big for me for years. I will not get on to how I could have bought new bikes that are too big but enough to say LBS owners are dishonest and if they think you do not know the size of the bike you need you will end up with the over-sized bike they cannot sell. However the point is, I never got lower back pain from the larger bikes. I have an inner seam of 80centimetres and stand at six feet tall and my measurements are for a custom bike of 55.7centimetres (one opinion in 1995) and I have owned a custom bike of 56centimetres square (that is the top tube was 56centimetres as well) bought in 1995; I now have an off-the-shelf bike which comes from the 21century with a ‘56centimetre equivalent' label on the frame. Funny thing was, I got lower back pain on the original 56cm-custom bike and not the over-size large frames; and when getting off the custom 56cm-bike I walked around stooped over for about five minutes. The bike was properly measured for me on an adjustable bike by Paul Hillbrick, frame maker so I am sure it was the right size and I got a second opinion. What fixed it for me was some stretches described to me by my club comrades and once I did the stretches enough times to not have any pain any more I did not really need to do them again. If you would like to give it a go lay down on your back and rotate your legs over your head and try to touch the floor/ground with your toes. Hope you have finally been given some help. David.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:01 pm

DG wrote:Hi. I hope it is not too late to post on this as a month has gone by since your original post. I do not think you have been given a good answer yet. I do not think it is bike fit.

#snip#

Hope you have finally been given some help. David.
Phew!!! Thanks David!

So what your saying is if he does some reverse slump stretches on the floor, the 56cm sized Specialized should be a good fit???

DG

Postby DG » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Well, I guess there is a smart-alec on every forum. I was merely trying to offer some help for the OP. He is very aware the bike does not fit him and this is very evident on his Original Post. I am not sure what motivated you to post what you did. Absolutely, all the posts just reaffirm what the OP’er has said in his original post: that the bike is too big for him. None offer him any possible solution; and I am not saying that my solution will fix the problem but at least I am offering something of help to him. Tell me, what is your motivation in ‘shooting me down’? Have you not read the OP or are you just following everyone else’s post and reckon I should say something like ‘yeh, the bike is too big’ like every other poster. I have actually had some experience on bikes that are too big for me and I have stated that in my post so I thought I stood on the ground of some experience. Was that lost to you as well? Have you read the terms of posting on this site. It may say something like everyone has an opinion and I offered my suggestions that he should try and do some stretches to help him. How about you allow others to post without smart-alec comments like the one you posted. I am not suggesting the bike is a good fit for him and that is evident in my OP and my suggestions are that if he did some stretches he may be able to get some use out of his father’s bike. Are you a real doctor? Why do you skite your qualifications on this forum? It may interest you to know I have some university Bachelor’s degrees as well but I do not boast about them and do not even put my qualifications on my business cards. It may interest you to know, like a lot of posters on this forum, I have been around bikes a bit and have had my fair share of problems from which I can offer some solutions to people, like the original poster. How about you pull your head back in and let other people post without fear they are going to be ridiculed by someone like you.

Spiza

Postby Spiza » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:34 pm

:lol: I can't believe you're suggesting Dr_Mutley isn't a real doctor :shock:

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:21 pm

DG wrote:Have you not read the OP or are you just following everyone else’s post and reckon I should say something like ‘yeh, the bike is too big’ like every other poster.
The OP actually asked whether he should bother with the bike so these types of responses would actually be appropriate to the OP. That's not to say your response isnt valid, but rather its no more significantly so than anyone elses.

OP - My 2c is similar to that of others, the bike is too big to bother with. If you were the only person riding it, a combination of exercises and modification may get you out of trouble but given you arent the only person riding it I don't see that working (unless your dad has the same issues, but im guesstimating the bike fits him). The fact you have no standover height would be enough for me to walk away. YMMV.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:20 pm

[
DG wrote:Hi. I hope it is not too late to post on this as a month has gone by since your original post. I do not think you have been given a good answer yet. I do not think it is bike fit.

#snip#

Hope you have finally been given some help. David.

Wow DG, first u belittle everyone who has taken time to post their considered opinion, u post yours with the opening/closing remarks (above) like the messiah, and now your crying foul?

If your advocating the OP to ride a bike that's 2 sizes too big, and which has already caused him significant back pain then that is your (minority) opinion. Some may suggest its something else. Granted, your reverse slump exercises may make to OP more capable of sizing up but is it worth the risk?

Now do u need a hug? :-)