The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:14 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:Perhaps the real winner was my dog - she peed on his tyre while I was lecturing him :D

:mrgreen:

dumb cyclists on the way home this afternoon - homeward bound, just come out from under the jindalee bridge and there are 3 people on BMX bikes (bmx/skate park is on the other side of the highway). Anyway, 2 of them were sitting on their bikes taking up the whole outbound lane. One of them, a female, had her bike across the lane. I yell out "don't roll back" (as they are on the slope) and I over take them. I then get an F*&^ You from the gent she was with. AZ activated as I'm riding off. His response from the AZ was shock. desired result. Maybe they won't sit across the path next time....
jasonc

by BNA » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:35 pm

BNA

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:35 pm

Morning commute. Exercise group on the path, caution advised.. didn't expect the gear placed carefully at the chicane leading back onto the road.

Edit: squeal oise was maladjusted brakes, and the bell doesn't come through the gopro well with the brake cable tapping on the case.
Last edited by bychosis on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby 98octane » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Tonight, I had a close shave with a dumb pedestrian on the shared path along the north bank of the Yarra next to Flinders St Station.

I was riding behind two middle aged couples blocking the full path, with my 900 lumen front light on at about 9pm. Both appeared to see my light and moved to the left. One woman pulled her husband to the left. A 1.5 - 2 m gap formed to their right (river side), so I decided to pass (AT) ~25kph.

Just as I was passing, a guy suddenly steps right about 1m. His wife quickly pulled him out of the way. He let out an "Arghh!". Ironically, I had just called out "thank you" for them stepping aside. I managed to avoid him and got home safely.
98octane

Postby rdp_au » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:39 am

bychosis wrote:Morning commute. Exercise group on the path, caution advised.. didn't expect the gear placed carefully at the chicane leading back onto the road.

Edit: squeal oise was maladjusted brakes, and the bell doesn't come through the gopro well with the brake cable tapping on the case.

While their positioning isn't great, and it may be the way the camera has recorded it, but it looks to me like you're travelling pretty quickly through a crowded area.
rdp_au

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:08 am

fatdudeonabike wrote:Perhaps the real winner was my dog - she peed on his tyre while I was lecturing him :D (no, this wouldnt have been funny on a $5000 road bike - but on a rusty piece of crap being ridden too fast by a guy without a helmet? It was hilarious.)

What's wrong with a dog peeing on a $5000 road bike as compared to peeing on a piece of junk? It all washes off anyway. :lol:

bychosis wrote:Morning commute. Exercise group on the path, caution advised.. didn't expect the gear placed carefully at the chicane leading back onto the road.

They just don't want to get their gear wet like it would be if they put it on the grass. Although I don't know why they don't put it on the benches and garden ledges beside the path, but then again they may be using those for their exercise too. Blah. Fitness groups. Go exercise on the grass please.

Poor direction by the personal trainer leading the fitness group IMO - these leaders should be well aware of mutual usage of spaces and paths, especially shared paths with bicycles etc.
Summernight

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:25 am

rdp_au wrote:While their positioning isn't great, and it may be the way the camera has recorded it, but it looks to me like you're travelling pretty quickly through a crowded area.

I thought the same thing. The gopros make slow look fast though, but it still seems to be too fast.
InTheWoods

Postby hannos » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:30 am

rdp_au wrote:

While their positioning isn't great, and it may be the way the camera has recorded it, but it looks to me like you're travelling pretty quickly through a crowded area.

My thoughts too. It appears you're going a bit fast for the traffic / conditions.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby il padrone » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:36 am

+1

Only you can best judge what speed you actually rode through there. My only question - were you pedalling with the power on, or coasting and feathering the brakes? Me, I'd definitely be coasting easy with so many people about.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby clydesmcdale » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:41 am

Yesterday evening I had an amusing interaction on the way home.

A little after 6pm poodling along the outbound shared path of the Botanic Gardens, having a lovely time moving along at 20km/h adjacent the river. Just taking it easy as there’s always plenty of walkers and joggers doing their bit to stay healthy.

In the near distance I note five young upstanding gentlemen, enjoying some distilled beverages in public, obviously having recently retired from the days employment. Two of the party had disposed of their shoes, whilst their attire showed signs of much vigouros work... quite disheveled and ill-fitting. I do believe the attire was a uniform of sorts, including overly large slacks scuffed at the hems and over-sized casual shirts with logos, inclusive of “Sean John” and perhaps “Wu-Tang”, if i’m not mistaken. As I said... upstanding young gentlemen. I digress. These gents were evenly dispersed accross the path, engaging all and sundry in vigouros and volumous conversation. Generally enjoying their evening in the gardens, perhaps even looking to retire there for the night, as I suspect they had done on many occasions. I approach from their rear and give a polite “ding” of the bell. To which I’m advised that I should go fornicate with myself, in less than gentlemenly language. I pass as well as I could, squeezing through a very small gap and recieve more advice similar to the first in an effort to reafirm their assertion I assume. To which I respond with a query of my own as to what actions they may take in protest and suggest that they lay with their own mothers... to summise “whatchagonnado!”. This retort, rather unsurprisingly, garnered a boisterous response from the engaging party and I am left with no choice as to continue my journey on my bicycle at a greater rate than I had initially anticipated. Whilst I enjoyed our debate, I felt encouraged to inform the two other gentlemen that I soon came accross, dressed in the uniforms of the local constabulary, that there was a party that I had recently engaged with, in possession of some open alcoholic beverages in a public space and having boisterous conversations with passers-by. The pair of officers seemed interested and I left them to investigate at their pleasure.

All-in-all, a terribly enjoyable ride home.

[mod says - edited to remove masked swearing. Please remember this is a family-friendly site and evading the word filter is not permitted.]
clydesmcdale

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:50 am

I think you are supposed to be sharing the path - according to popular wisdom here. :roll: I've seen this too - I don't bother complaining about it anymore, it achieves nothing and other cyclists seem to encourage this kind of behaviour by pedestrians, either through being devils advocate or deliberate trolling. :roll:

You look to be going too fast through there. I'd have been slowing by the time you went over that bump and being prepared to get off the bike and walk past them. Pretty poor form on the part of the pedestrians. It's already narrow enough there, but they've left their things on the path taking up even more room. :roll:
Giant TCR SL1 / Cervelo P5 Six / Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:54 am

clydesmcdale wrote: To which I respond with a query of my own as to what actions they may take in protest and suggest that they lay with their own mothers...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
may karma (aka the constabulary) catch up with them.
jasonc

Postby fatdudeonabike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:56 am

Summernight wrote:
fatdudeonabike wrote:Perhaps the real winner was my dog - she peed on his tyre while I was lecturing him :D (no, this wouldnt have been funny on a $5000 road bike - but on a rusty piece of crap being ridden too fast by a guy without a helmet? It was hilarious.)

What's wrong with a dog peeing on a $5000 road bike as compared to peeing on a piece of junk? It all washes off anyway. :lol:

I would just like to think that my dog has a nice taste in bikes :P
fatdudeonabike

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:49 am

g-boaf wrote:

I think you are supposed to be sharing the path - according to popular wisdom here. :roll: I've seen this too - I don't bother complaining about it anymore, it achieves nothing and other cyclists seem to encourage this kind of behaviour by pedestrians, either through being devils advocate or deliberate trolling. :roll:

You look to be going too fast through there. I'd have been slowing by the time you went over that bump and being prepared to get off the bike and walk past them. Pretty poor form on the part of the pedestrians. It's already narrow enough there, but they've left their things on the path taking up even more room. :roll:

So I got excited by having my GoPro working and uploading to YouTube... I dont believe I was going too fast and certainly rang the bell enough, although it doesn't come out in the video. I wasn't expecting a parting of the Red Sea as I come through either. By the sheer number of peds there I expected I might have to stop, and could have done so safely.

I guess it's just one of my pet hates to see things placed in an obvious through path, the bag sticking out from the corner being the worst offender
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Summernight » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:54 am

bychosis wrote:So I got excited by having my GoPro working and uploading to YouTube... I dont believe I was going too fast and certainly rang the bell enough, although it doesn't come out in the video. I wasn't expecting a parting of the Red Sea as I come through either. By the sheer number of peds there I expected I might have to stop, and could have done so safely.

I guess it's just one of my pet hates to see things placed in an obvious through path, the bag sticking out from the corner being the worst offender

As someone said above - the GoPro can distort the speed it looks like you're going and make it look faster than what it really was. I noticed you had your hands on your brakes well before then and had clearly seen the issue and made preparations for it.

I'd also hate to have bags sticking out everywhere on the shared path.
Summernight

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:23 am

A thought: why not just run over the bag? So long as you have your bike straight under you (ie, not leaning) and lift the front wheel over, the risk of an off is negligible.

Did it once with some schoolkids at Manly Dam - bags everywhere all over the paths. Good skills practice, and the kids and coaches got the message emphatically with nary a word from me :wink:
Last edited by trailgumby on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
trailgumby

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:36 am

GoPros are weird when it comes to that. Doing 70-80kph down a hill looks very similar to 25kph when going past objects that are closer.
Lukeyboy

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:38 am

Dumb cyclist was me this morning. Turning left out of the Bradley's Head national park entrance onto the road that runs down to the Zoo wharf, there was a female pedestrian dressed all in black on the road shoulder dead in front of me.

It just did not occur to me that a ped would be there, I was more concerned with cars coming down the hill from my right, but for anyone power walking or jogging up from the bottom, it's really the only safe place to be as there is no shoulder on the corner apex. I was more careful on the next repeat.

I got on the brakes in plenty of time but locked the rear in the wet and gave her a good fright. :oops: After reaching the bottom and returning back up the hill I hoped to offer my apology, but she'd disappeared... must have been a ninja ;)

Video will follow sometime tonight. What surprised me was how slow it all seemed to happen, and it seemed to take her an absolute age to react. Maybe my reflexes aren't so bad after all? :wink:
trailgumby

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:38 am

trailgumby wrote:A thought: why did not just run over the bag? So long as you have your bike straight under you (ie, not leaning) and lift the front wheel over, the risk of an off is negligible.

Did it once with some schoolkids at Manly Dam - bags everywhere all over the paths. Good skills practice, and the kids and coaches got the message emphatically with nary a word from me :wink:

Lots of fun on a dually, not so much fun on 700x23 tyres when in close proximity to solid kerb.
bychosis

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:40 am

trailgumby wrote:A thought: why not just run over the bag? So long as you have your bike straight under you (ie, not leaning) and lift the front wheel over, the risk of an off is negligible.

+1 - cyclists are obliged to give way to pedestrians not bags
find_bruce

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:42 am

find_bruce wrote:
trailgumby wrote:A thought: why not just run over the bag? So long as you have your bike straight under you (ie, not leaning) and lift the front wheel over, the risk of an off is negligible.

+1 - cyclists are obliged to give way to pedestrians not bags

you didn't need that water in your drink bottle did you?
jasonc

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:59 am

bychosis wrote:
trailgumby wrote:A thought: why did not just run over the bag? So long as you have your bike straight under you (ie, not leaning) and lift the front wheel over, the risk of an off is negligible.

Lots of fun on a dually, not so much fun on 700x23 tyres when in close proximity to solid kerb.

Agreed on that! It's just stupid to put bags there in a location that is already narrow enough as it is. :roll:
Giant TCR SL1 / Cervelo P5 Six / Specialized Langster Pro
g-boaf

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:12 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:He was fine, but really cranky. In most situations I'd let up, because I was more in the wrong... but the lecture I gave him has been brewing for weeks - about not wearing a helmet, about the legalities of a bell, about the stupidity of going too quickly on a path full of animals and kids... and in the end he left thoroughly unsatisfied when he asked for my name, and I replied that I would first like his name - because my error today was just that, an error. His repeated errors in riding too fast around kids without a helmet are not an error - they're a conscious decision to ignore the law, and the police are going to be much less interested in me than in him.

If Queensland follows the other states and cyclists have to give way to pedestrians then he may well have been in the wrong and not you. Assuming of course it was not a deliberate act of obstruction and from what you have said it does not sound like it.

Cyclists need to chill out on paths around pedestrians, children and dogs.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby herzog » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:23 pm

Wow. Just wow.

herzog

Postby DavidS » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:11 pm

I daily ride up Head St in Brighton and the section between the beach and StKilda St is a right pain. Apart from the parked cars (no standing zone) next to the park there are often pedestrians walking or running along the road. There is a park on one side and a footpath on the other but they insist on walking up the road. Today's example was slowly jogging up the road, not looking and had inner ear speakers attached to his inner ear. I ding my bell, no reaction and almost run him over as he changes his line. I just don't understand - there's a footpath, there's a park, why would anyone in their right mind want to walk down a road?

DS

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
DavidS

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:32 am

Haven't had silly cyclist in awhile then two in a week. This is number 2.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4TXJVGS150&hd=1[/youtube]

This "incident" occurred at bottom of the southern decent into Scarborough Beach on the Recreational Shared Path (RSP). It is a quick decent and I was on the brakes as sometimes there are pedestrians and/or pedestrians with dogs and/or sand on the path.

What I was not expecting was a cyclist pulling a passing move on the blind corner.

I managed to squeeze pass without getting on to the grass, but it was close.

Not sure if the guy was racing the other riders or going full out for the hill, either way pretty stupid for this recreational shared path and more so for this area.

Andrew
Aushiker

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion