Todays rides

Re: Todays rides

Postby Howzat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:38 pm

Yikes - sinkhole cavities are bad enough on streets, let alone bike paths. Fix my street is a pretty good system, I've seen fixes to dangerous pothole reports done within a day.

Took them quite a while to get around to the "Add another lane to the GDE" request I logged though. :D
User avatar
Howzat
 
Posts: 539
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: Canberra

by BNA » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:34 pm

BNA
 

Re: Todays rides

Postby eveready2 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Anyone keen for a ride on Friday, leaving from cooma? The wild life are dangerous, it better to have someone to ride with :)
Just keep pushing Pusscake!
eveready2
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby wombat 23 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:43 pm

Rockviewau, Pedal Power has rides to suit just about everyone except top level racers. As well as those mentioned above there are Saturday Sunday and mid- week social rides of between 20 to 30 kms, out of town rides of varying distances and speeds, and multi day tour style rides. See the web site. as well as PP there are numerous bunches around town who do everything from gut wrenching early morning hill climbing to a quick blast around the block before settling in at the cafe. Riding with others can be more fun so I hope you find a group that suits you. :)
wombat 23
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:30 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby fatdudeonabike » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:20 pm

Does anyone do any of the Pedal Power rides regularly? I'm just interested in the differences in speed - I'd hate to be the one slowing everyone down, but on the flipside of that, I'd also hate to be waiting for everyone.

I know the Pedal Power mag gives ratings on how easy and hilly the rides are - but what I'd really love to be included in those keys is an average speed/time of ride. I mean, if the average speed of an 'easy ride' is like 14km/hr, I'll get bored. But then, if they're up around 25-30km/hr, I might be the one holding people up.

I really just want people to ride with - I'm not even interested in cafe culture. No offence to anyone, but I think the notion of riding however far with a coffee shop destination is a massive wank. Since when do you need a destination to have fun out riding a bike?
fatdudeonabike
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby HAKS » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:44 pm

wombat 23 wrote:Rockviewau, Pedal Power has rides to suit just about everyone except top level racers. As well as those mentioned above there are Saturday Sunday and mid- week social rides of between 20 to 30 kms, out of town rides of varying distances and speeds, and multi day tour style rides. See the web site. as well as PP there are numerous bunches around town who do everything from gut wrenching early morning hill climbing to a quick blast around the block before settling in at the cafe. Riding with others can be more fun so I hope you find a group that suits you. :)


Rockviewau left town years ago :P
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)
User avatar
HAKS
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:28 pm
Location: Canberra, AUS

Re: Todays rides

Postby twizzle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:22 am

fatdudeonabike wrote:but what I'd really love to be included in those keys is an average speed/time of ride.

From memory, the speeds are documented in the legend for the calendar. Slow is around 20kph average, fast is ~30. As for time - it's all relative.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Todays rides

Postby fatdudeonabike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:14 pm

twizzle wrote:
fatdudeonabike wrote:but what I'd really love to be included in those keys is an average speed/time of ride.

From memory, the speeds are documented in the legend for the calendar. Slow is around 20kph average, fast is ~30. As for time - it's all relative.


Thanks Twizzle - you're right... kind of. Some of the rides list an average speed. But, as Murphy's Law tends to dictate, the rides I was interested in don't list them :(

Although with that said, it occurs to me now that E X rides (easy rides on easy terrain) are probably going to be at a fairly similar speed to each other.
fatdudeonabike
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby mrgolf » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:51 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote: No offence to anyone, but I think the notion of riding however far with a coffee shop destination is a massive wank. Since when do you need a destination to have fun out riding a bike?


If your aim is to not cause offence, dont be offensive.

From my point of view, if you know the guys you are riding with, the coffee shop is the opportunity to have a decent group chat, rather than abbreviated one-on-ones as the ride progresses. Furthermore, as I love drinking quality coffee (which limits cafe choice), a coffee shop at the end is a beautiful union of two of my passions. If you dont find that appealing, best describe it as 'not my scene'. Describing it as a 'massive wank' is a bit OTT. 8)
Image
mrgolf
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby Cruiserman » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Don't mean to be offensive, surely you jest in this statement. I have a destination in mind every time I go out to enjoy a ride on my bike.....in the morning it is most often work and in the afternoon home. If you don't want to ride and end up at a coffee shop, or from reading your post anywhere that is your choice, don't knock others for theirs.
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600
Image
Cruiserman
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:14 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby fatdudeonabike » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Since when is it offensive to post a viewpoint? Especially when nothing that I said was a slight on anyone.

The point is valid - why do you need a destination to get out on your bike?

And where the hell in Canberra are you going to find reasonable coffee anyway?

Damn there's some sensitive sooks in here... I've trolled some forums in my younger days, and I can't fathom that anyone would have a hair up their arse from what I wrote there.
fatdudeonabike
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby mrgolf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Ignoring the absurd attempt to justify your ill thought out original comment which still stands true as an unchallenged testimony to your original intended meaning, I will address the coffee question.

Lonsdale st roasters, Tonic, two before ten, Mocan and green grout are places I would suggest as a good place to start. But judging by your attempt to make yourself sound like an educated coinnaseur, the quality may be lost on you.

As I said in my original comment, coffee is the icing on the cake to riding a bike and hanging with friends. It is not the destination. It is the lovely location between rides end and getting home.

This isn't sooking. This is pointing out that referring to people as w a n k e r s for going to a coffee shop at the end of a ride might be a little silly. I was somewhat perplexed.
Image
mrgolf
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby jcjordan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:45 am

I am with mrgolf. Every ride I do has a destination and purpose. Even if it's nothing more then going out and enjoying the day.

As for coffee at the end of a ride, without the social interactions that it brings how do you get onshore your enjoying with other like minded individuals.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home
jcjordan
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:58 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby nescius » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:21 am

The post ride coffee (or hot chocolate for soft people like me) is an important social part of the ride. For the guys I ride with it is a chance to get together and discuss upcoming races, or to go over race tactics that worked or didn't work from racing on the weekend or the crits. It's also a good time to properly get to know the people you ride with, to make new friends and have a laugh. It's nice to do a hard training session then sit back and shoot the breeze with mates for half an hour or so before heading off to work. Two before Ten is where we generally head and the guys are pretty happy with the coffee there (hot chocolate is fine, and the banana bread is nice :D )

I raced club champs C Grade last night but had a bit of an off night, I hesitated at a decisive moment and missed a break that probably would have stuck if I was in it, I ended up closing most of the gap when it became obvious that nobody else was going to then I didn't have much left for the sprint and went backwards fast. Ended up top 10 but was disappointed because I think I had the legs to take it out if I'd been a bit smarter about it :(
Giant Trance | Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
User avatar
nescius
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Todays rides

Postby twizzle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 am

fatdudeonabike wrote:Since when is it offensive to post a viewpoint?

When you suggest, up front, that people will be offended.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Todays rides

Postby mrgolf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Hey Twiz, you still racing vets? Currently planning my Gunning assault, although I reckon the course will be too flat. I might plan to work as a domestique for one of our sprinters... :mrgreen:
Image
mrgolf
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby fatdudeonabike » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:21 pm

mrgolf wrote:Ignoring the absurd attempt to justify your ill thought out original comment which still stands true as an unchallenged testimony to your original intended meaning, I will address the coffee question.

Lonsdale st roasters, Tonic, two before ten, Mocan and green grout are places I would suggest as a good place to start. But judging by your attempt to make yourself sound like an educated coinnaseur, the quality may be lost on you.

As I said in my original comment, coffee is the icing on the cake to riding a bike and hanging with friends. It is not the destination. It is the lovely location between rides end and getting home.

This isn't sooking. This is pointing out that referring to people as w a n k e r s for going to a coffee shop at the end of a ride might be a little silly. I was somewhat perplexed.


I'm not going to go on with this, but I just wanted to make to points.

- at no point did I indicate that anyone was a w@nker for going to a coffee shop. I indicated that I thought the 'need' to go to a coffee shop and not be able to just ride for the fun of it is a wank. Please dont put words in my mouth.
- I never professed, or even began to profess to be a coffee connoisseur. Once again, dont put words in my mouth.

That you had to completely over-exaggerate everything that I said (to the point that it didnt even resemble truth) to formulate an argument suggests to me that you dont have an argument, and that you're picking a fight for no reason. I have no time for keyboard warriors.
fatdudeonabike
 
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:14 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby mrgolf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:32 pm

I would agree, but for the fact that I wasn't the only one to read your comment in such a manner.

Cheers.

Move on.
Image
mrgolf
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby twizzle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:34 pm

mrgolf wrote:Hey Twiz, you still racing vets? Currently planning my Gunning assault, although I reckon the course will be too flat. I might plan to work as a domestique for one of our sprinters... :mrgreen:


Not sure if "racing" is the right term. DNF'ed the last two Crits, mainly due to lower back issues, but the last crit was 425W average for the first five minutes till myself and one other got dropped, then 395W for the next ten minutes riding back on - average speed 40.6kph.

I'm looking forwards to Gunning - probably riding B though. Don't forget that the prologue sets the stage - I'm usually about 20 secs quicker than the GC riders, let alone the sprinters. It's a big deficit for them to make up.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Todays rides

Postby mrgolf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Hmmm... Might have to work out a way to somehow jump in your stream during prologue and get away with it, then...
Image
mrgolf
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby ro. » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:56 am

nescius wrote:I raced club champs C Grade last night but had a bit of an off night, I hesitated at a decisive moment and missed a break that probably would have stuck if I was in it, I ended up closing most of the gap when it became obvious that nobody else was going to then I didn't have much left for the sprint and went backwards fast. Ended up top 10 but was disappointed because I think I had the legs to take it out if I'd been a bit smarter about it :(


Lol that race was weak as. Everyone in C grade thinks they will win it in the sprint. Consider joining me in a break next week. Ill be attacking again, since im not much of a sprinter.
ro.
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:18 am

Re: Todays rides

Postby twizzle » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 pm

mrgolf wrote:Hmmm... Might have to work out a way to somehow jump in your stream during prologue and get away with it, then...


Not a chance - 4k'ish ITT, no drafting, no TT bikes or helmets, but aero wheels are allowed.


Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Todays rides

Postby mrgolf » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:23 am

A 4km TT? Seems awful short. I dont own a TT bike or an aero helmet and would probs just run my box section clinchers.... Cant do much harm, can it? :?
Image
mrgolf
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:00 pm

Re: Todays rides

Postby nescius » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 am

ACT Crit champs last night, I raced in M1/2/3 and had a reasonable race, I worked to get my team mates into a good position on the final lap and they picked up 3rd and 4th in M1 which was an ok result. I felt quite comfortable for the whole race which was good, at the start I was worried that I was going to get dropped! Average speed was a touch over 43kmh and the track started off quite wet but was drying pretty well by the end. I'm intending to race Elite on Friday as well, and I think I'll be happy if I manage to stay with the bunch!

I lost a chainring bolt on the way out there but didn't realise until I got to Stromlo (I thought I'd just flicked a twig into my cranks or something), I checked the rest of the bolts and only one was tight :oops:
Giant Trance | Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
User avatar
nescius
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Todays rides

Postby twizzle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:55 am

nescius wrote:I lost a chainring bolt on the way out there but didn't realise until I got to Stromlo (I thought I'd just flicked a twig into my cranks or something), I checked the rest of the bolts and only one was tight :oops:


No clicking noises? I fitted a S/H crankset and the small chain ring was clicking horribly under heavy load, the bolts were all slightly loose. And there's never a Torx T30 at hand when you need one. :roll: :lol:
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
User avatar
twizzle
 
Posts: 6382
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am
Location: Taking a break.

Re: Todays rides

Postby nescius » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:38 pm

No noises or any other sign that anything was amiss, I was really surprised to find that they were loose. I had been meaning to give the bike a thorough clean and check that everything was tight etc. but I hadn't got around to it, I guess I've learned another lesson on the dangers of procrastination!
Giant Trance | Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
User avatar
nescius
 
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Canberra

PreviousNext

Return to ACT

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit