How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

poohkies

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby poohkies » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 am

last night's ride home was lovley, massive storm had cooled everything down, just alot of stuff on the road and paths, other than that, nice happy pace, upped the heart beat to 135bpm and averaged 29 for the ride home :)

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:29 am

Am filthy today...woke up at 5:20 this morning and it was bucketing down so I went back to sleep thinking it is a drive for me today

well, come my normal start time 6am and no rain...drove in and only got a few drops of rain the whole way....so I am sitting here at my desk absolutely filthy with myself

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:45 am

slept in. got 500m down the road and realised I'd forgotton my pump
then I missed my group for the riverloop so did it solo. finally caught them at the top of dutton park

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 am

Had a nice little commute this morning. Over Cootha... And then a brisk rivrerloop (37k av) followed by a lovely coffee and to work by 07:30.

How good is that? :mrgreen:

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:47 am

37km avg is not brisk comedian. That's flying! :shock:

woke at 5am and decided to skip the river loop this morning. 5 minutes later feeling guilty, i rushed off to join the lifecycle mob for their tuesday smash fest. Got dropped after the Indro bridge and did the rest solo, picking up a couple of other dropped stragglers along the way. Set all kinds of PBs thanks to the bunch draft at the start! Rode back home for a coffee, checked on SWMBO and kiddly winks, loaded the backpack and headed to work. Glorious weather, lots of cars in gridlock to sail past. Only encountered one traffic light sneaker (I was complaining about this behaviour yesterday). Had a guy in footy shorts and t shirt on a cool old steel roadie join me for the ride, he seemed happy riding at the same steady pace as me. Ran the gauntlet along Turbot St without getting crushed. Got to work dripping with sweat. Didn't cool down for long enough before having a shower, which was about the only blemish on a great morning's riding. So glad I went for the river loop in the end. It hurt, but it puts another 45kms in the legs. Loving the bike right now.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:56 am

Good ride back via the MYT all the way up to Greensborough and then Bundoora.
Briefly run off the path by a bunch of schoolboys in a world of their own, despiting yelling out repeatedly:

...but cheered up buy a bunch of roos hopping around the trail near Bundoora (sorry, camera switched to a new file just then and missed the close-ups):

Pleasant ride in this morning, although there was a body of cold air over the creeks, felt a bit chilly at times.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:29 am

Warming up nicely this morning, 28C on arrival. Bit late due to a brief stint as an observer at a dolphin breakfast meeting, always makes me that little bit more obnoxiously perky when I get to work.

And check out what we just got! Looklooklook :mrgreen:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:23 pm

Lizzy wrote:Warming up nicely this morning, 28C on arrival.
What a cold morning ride? 36 C when I got in :)

Andrew

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Welcome back to commuting, X... got rained on, and rode through Parramatta River this morning. I'm hoping my BB is staying dry :roll:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:45 pm

BrisVegas wrote:37km avg is not brisk comedian. That's flying! :shock:

woke at 5am and decided to skip the river loop this morning. 5 minutes later feeling guilty, i rushed off to join the lifecycle mob for their tuesday smash fest. Got dropped after the Indro bridge and did the rest solo, picking up a couple of other dropped stragglers along the way. Set all kinds of PBs thanks to the bunch draft at the start!
Everyone's doing the Lifecycle riverloop....I hung on until between the uni and the golf course, then picked up a couple of other ladies until we got sucked along by the fast group again through Chelmer and Graceville.
I rode solo until picking up a couple of other riders through Yeronga and gave them a tow along the Corso :wink:

Good morning happy with my PR for the loop, 34.0 k's for the Lifecycle segment.

Commuted home this afternoon, very pleasant with some company for most of the ride home!
Lisa

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 pm

marinmomma wrote:
BrisVegas wrote:37km avg is not brisk comedian. That's flying! :shock:

woke at 5am and decided to skip the river loop this morning. 5 minutes later feeling guilty, i rushed off to join the lifecycle mob for their tuesday smash fest. Got dropped after the Indro bridge and did the rest solo, picking up a couple of other dropped stragglers along the way. Set all kinds of PBs thanks to the bunch draft at the start!
Everyone's doing the Lifecycle riverloop....I hung on until between the uni and the golf course, then picked up a couple of other ladies until we got sucked along by the fast group again through Chelmer and Graceville.
I rode solo until picking up a couple of other riders through Yeronga and gave them a tow along the Corso :wink:

Good morning happy with my PR for the loop, 34.0 k's for the Lifecycle segment.

Commuted home this afternoon, very pleasant with some company for most of the ride home!
Is your name Lisa? I think you gave me a tow for some of the corso. Were you wearing a red jersey? I was with another bloke that I picked up somewhere around Tennyson and we took turns on the front with a woman along there. I was on the EMC and wearing the green diabetes jersey. Yeah I got a PB (AT) 34km/h for the Lifecycle loop too. :)

Did you do the extra bit towards long pocket or did you go past Indro high school? Trying to figure out how you got dropped before me and ended up in front of me! :lol:
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Yes, that's me.... :oops:

Yeah I went down Lambert Rd instead of heading toward the long pocket turn-off, It might take me a few weeks to survive long enough to stay with the bunch to do the complete loop.

I got caught up with another bunch and lost touch with the Lifecycle group just before the golf course.

I enjoyed it, hopefully I can make it work for me to continue coming along...just need some advanced planning to have my gear at work the day before otherwise I'll looping with a backpack!
Lisa

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:31 pm

cool. sent you a strava request. You came up as one of the people I rode with today.

I live close by, so I just ride home again to get my backpack and have brekky etc.. I'm keen to try and stick with that fast group again. I struggled a bit at the back of the bunch. Got strung out after the bridge and didn't recover. Only way to get faster is to get dropped I reckon! I've done that Tuesday ride in the slower group a couple of times and was wondering how much faster the fast bunch is. Now I know I guess.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:21 pm

BrisVegas wrote:cool. sent you a strava request. You came up as one of the people I rode with today.

I live close by, so I just ride home again to get my backpack and have brekky etc.. I'm keen to try and stick with that fast group again. I struggled a bit at the back of the bunch. Got strung out after the bridge and didn't recover. Only way to get faster is to get dropped I reckon! I've done that Tuesday ride in the slower group a couple of times and was wondering how much faster the fast bunch is. Now I know I guess.
I was there too wearing the tomato. jersey. Say hi next time. :)

To not be dropped you have to average 39. Probably 40/50 start and generally the finishing group is less than half a dozen. ;)

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Very nice ride yesterday. In the morning I usually wear a cycling top then get changed at work, but in the afternoon I've taken to just wearing whatever top I've had on at work if it's comfy for riding. So yesterday I rode home in a smart red work blouse with nice khaki pants and strappy sandals - ie looking very casual commuter with my basket on the back :lol: So was very pleased with myself to overtake and stay well ahead of a slight young woman in very snazzy looking pink cycling jersey and nicks, and a couple of other blokes on their bikes :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:55 am

some nut bags were doing coot-tha this morning. I suggested tomorrow was better for a long ride. Now, I'm at work and it's raining.

hey comedian - does frankie melt in the rain? :mrgreen:

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:22 am

Was back on the bike this morning...was going to be regardless of weather :)

Had seen on strava a segment which was down a road that I pass each commute. Thought I would give it a flog this morning and picked the KOM up as a result. Didnt really know where the end was so made sure I went well past before I cut my pace back. As a result of this attempt I cut my commute by 5 k's this morning.

Was a pleasant ride all up and nice to be back on the bike. I really didnt like being in the car yesterday.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:52 am

Nice cooler morning than we've been having lately. Lake was still.

Dogs stopped to check each other out with their walkers across the path. I dinged, braked hard after I thought they were moving sooner than actually did then said "Please try not to block the path" as I passed at 10km/h. Comment back was "Sorry, I didn't see Cadel coming" :P :oops: Should have stopped to see if I could get an autograph, Cadel doesn't wear loose fitting gear, ride an old steel bike or carry a backpack.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:36 am

I could feel a bit of chill in the Melbourne air this morning, which was pleasant and refreshing (I like the cold).

All the motorists behaved themselves and Mr E-Bike was present (I haven't seen him in a while). He always makes me smile because his bike can accelerate from the lights really quickly and here he is lightly pedaling going up a hill I'm struggling on, full upright (nice straight back) position, no bobbing of the head whatsoever and going around 25+ kph up that blasted hill. He always blows everyone else out of the water, with the only thing stopping him being the red lights.

It's not a KonaCommuter Gazelle e-bike. I'm not sure what type it is - the electric part is in the front wheel and apart from that extra large hub it looks like a normal average commuter.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:44 am

Comedian wrote:I was there too wearing the tomato. jersey. Say hi next time. :)

To not be dropped you have to average 39. Probably 40/50 start and generally the finishing group is less than half a dozen. ;)
I don't know what you like, but sure, I'll say hello next time if I see a tomato? :? I said hi to some guy wearing a Heinz baked beans jersey, as i thought it was the coolest jersey I'd ever seen.

Yeah the avg was 39 on the Uni to golf course segment. Makes sense that only a small group finishes together, as there were heaps of lifecycle jerseys strung out along the loop.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:03 am

Family commitments requiring intermittent chauffeuring in a smokebox throughout the day, so working from home. No commutes today :(
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:18 am

TailWind wrote:Family commitments requiring intermittent chauffeuring in a smokebox throughout the day, so working from home. No commutes today :(
endomondo commuter challange is going to get rather close then isn't it....

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:04 pm

jasonc wrote:
TailWind wrote:Family commitments requiring intermittent chauffeuring in a smokebox throughout the day, so working from home. No commutes today :(
endomondo commuter challange is going to get rather close then isn't it....
Jason..TW has upped his commute home though by 10 odd k's...but you are doing some big k's compared to this time last year

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:04 pm

jasonc wrote:some nut bags were doing coot-tha this morning. I suggested tomorrow was better for a long ride. Now, I'm at work and it's raining.

It's called a recovery day. After Sunday and yesterday it was very well received too. :mrgreen:

So, I just ride in this morning. Will I get home dry though?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Comedian wrote:
jasonc wrote:some nut bags were doing coot-tha this morning. I suggested tomorrow was better for a long ride. Now, I'm at work and it's raining.

It's called a recovery day. After Sunday and yesterday it was very well received too. :mrgreen:

So, I just ride in this morning. Will I get home dry though?
ok. so it was only the rest of the nutbags. will we get home dry? probably not.