Why do cylists disrespect triathletes?

RonK

Re: Why are cylists such dicks towards triathletes?

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:14 am

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Mrfenejeans

Postby Mrfenejeans » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:33 am

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:56 pm

Ha!

welly

Postby welly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Dan wrote:I think its because most triathletes hate the cycle leg, and see it as a necessary evil. This is of course heresay, or heresey, depending on how you choose to take it ;)
In the few triathlons I've entered, the cycle leg is my favourite! Great opportunity to nosh on some food. It's the swim which is the evil leg.

Dan

Why are cylists such dicks towards triathletes?

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:03 pm

You're only pretending to be a triathlete ;)

Disclaimer: I don't purport to be, nor harbour any desire to become, a triathlete. I enjoy food with taste too much.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:12 pm

skull wrote:Being fit and having good bunch skills are different.

I know plenty of triathletes who are amazingly strong on a bike.

Put them in a bunch and they fall to bits.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
I know plenty of cyclists who I steer right away from in a bunch too.
I am a cycling guide in the summer months... I ride at the front or at the back... Very rarely in the middle ;-). Just because someone calls themselves a cyclist doesn't mean a thing when it comes to skills.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 pm

jcjordan wrote:From my experience it tends to come from their apparent lack of bunch skills and knowledge of etiquette.

I am not saw all, or even the majority, but it is something that gets brought up a lot and have seen some really bad example which has a tendency to reinforce the stereotype.
But if that was the reason then every newby to group riding would also be hated. In expect that instead they are welcomed and maybe even mentored.

I stress that I am not in a position to even be aware of any such cross-cultural divide. However if I accept the premise of the thread then I would ask "do they show an arrogance or superiority or know-it-all attitude to mere cyclists?"

If so then I would further ask "Are we taring a whole class of athletes on the exception".

And after all of that I would then suggest that, to a lot of non-bicyclists, "cyclists exhibit an arrogance or superiority to mere motorists and other users".

And I would further suggest to those bicycle-hating smoke box drivers that they are tarring all cyclists on the exception."

IN ESSENCE I hope that cyclists are better than so many of our critics.
Before I get flamed for being totally off the track - I repeat, I am not aware of any such cross-cultural divide. But if it exists I hope we are not being as unreasonable and as illogical as are too many motorists. Devils advocate.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:40 am

ratter wrote:I'm a cyclist (well I think I am) the wide is a triathlete (well trying to be).
I'm sure the wife appreciates your pet name for her :wink: :D :D

ratter

Postby ratter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:14 pm

Doh!

that can't be good on valentines day can it :oops:

Pravda

Postby Pravda » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:51 pm

Rule 42, Rule 54 and Rule 7.
2014 Canyon Aerode SLX
Puegeot Aneto 105
Kona Jake the Snake CX

Dan

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm

ain't that the truth.

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:30 am

http://youtu.be/1KTEgLKhjIw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm a cyclist and a triathlete (back of the pack). Not that i have been training much recently. However, when I do train, I don't ride in bunches much. Too little time and my organisational skills are too poor, so out I go, by myself. It's relaxing. Bunch riding is a bit meh. As for attitude, well, I guess everyone's gotta look down on someone. Steel vs carbon, campag vs shimano, Chinese vs Italian, mountain vs road, commuter vs sport, track vs road, tandem vs unicycle, electric vs HPV, fully-fared recumbent vs non-fared semi-recumbent trike. People in glass houses.
New tar seal in front of my wheel

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:47 pm

outnabike wrote:
nescius wrote:In general they have poor bike handling skills which makes them dangerous. They are also different to cyclists, they have strange bikes with odd saddles, they don't have sleeves on their jerseys and they never shut up about nutrition.

Last year at the Triathlon age group world championships the competitors were advised by team officials that there were corners on the course and that when going through the corner they should be ready to "dump it" just in case they couldn't get around it. I was there watching my girlfriend and some friends race, luckily they aren't typical triathletes so they didn't have to hurl themselves to the ground.

(first 5 seconds of this video seems to be broken but it plays normally after that)
For cyclists they seem to have a bit of trouble mounting up.......and that shoe cruelty has to be seen to be believed. :D
Ride bikes the same way they drive cars....:D

ratter

Re: Why do cylists disrespect triathletes?

Postby ratter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:09 pm

I did another ride on the weekend with 6 tri athletes, the main guy had a bike issue half way up Balcombe Rd hill, which I stopped to help him fix it as I had tools on me, the others were instructed to keep going. After taking a few minutes to fix he bike we took off after them, we finished the hill side by side and probably the quickest I have gone up it, from there he told me to jump on his wheel. For 21 klms he lead me at an avg of 40 kmh according to my Garmin data, until the others were in close proximity, then he lifted it to 45 klms to pass them.
I'm not a great cyclist and i know there are probably quite a few of you out there that can do that, but I was impressed at his speed and endurance and considering it was not a short ride, in fact the ride for a few of them was 5 hrs and they covered 158 klms and then they did a 18 klm run

Dan

Why do cylists disrespect triathletes?

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:56 pm

Was he 'like this' aero, or 'like this'?

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Dan wrote:Was he 'like this' aero, or 'like this'?

I don't know how to embed a video, but check my link a few posts above ;)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Dan wrote:Was he 'like this' aero, or 'like this'?

:lol:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:47 pm

Crowz wrote:I don't know how to embed a video, but check my link a few posts above ;)
That'd be "I don't care that I can't embed the video, and I'll just cut and paste from the above post", thanks. For what its worth, it displays fine on a mobile device. Carry on, Captain Coding.

Crowz

Postby Crowz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Dan wrote:
Crowz wrote:I don't know how to embed a video, but check my link a few posts above ;)
That'd be "I don't care that I can't embed the video, and I'll just cut and paste from the above post", thanks. For what its worth, it displays fine on a mobile device. Carry on, Captain Coding.
I don't think you understood... I was saying that I posted the exact same thing as you just 4 posts earlier...

Dan

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:36 pm

Crowz wrote:
Dan wrote:
I don't think you understood... I was saying that I posted the exact same thing as you just 4 posts earlier...
Long day - apologies.... Heads to naughty corner

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:55 pm

Here is a hot tip, take 4 seconds in the transition to put your shoes on.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:33 pm

Some more hot tips, inspired by watching the transition at the Melbourne Ironman;
1. Practice mounting your bike so you don't steer it into the fence as you take off.
2. Check out the transition area and the first 50m of the cycle course before the start... Is it uphill, level of downhill? Then adjust your bike gearing before leaving it in the transition area. (Starting in your hardest gear is hard uphill!)
3. Don't try leaving your shoes connected to the pedals when you haven't tried it beforehand.

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:32 pm

jacks1071 wrote:Here is a hot tip, take 4 seconds in the transition to put your shoes on.
my first tri it was really muddy in transition, i saw one poor guy who couldnt get his speedplays to clip in because they were so full of mud. he had used both his bottles of sport drink to clean them out and there was no fluid on course. i wonder if he finished?

point is, leaving shoes on the bike is a good option if you are competent enough to jump on. remarkably most people arent..

Evo6point5

Postby Evo6point5 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:34 pm

Haha true, have seen a good mass pile up when one person tried to mount, slipped and took out 3 others.

If you can do it though it saves heaps of time in a sprint/oly distance which is where I pass most people after my terrible swims. Not such a big deal in an ironman unless you're fighting for a podium. Probably worth putting socks on to counter blisters etc. I would anyway.