Best bike mirror on the market??

durianrider

Best bike mirror on the market??

Postby durianrider » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:56 pm

Do you ride with a mirror on your bling roadie? I do and notice others are doing so too. Definitely a good idea in racing/commuting/bunch rides etc. They are those most covert, aero yet functional mirror on the market. I like it in group rides cos you can see the pain on the faces of the riders behind you and then click it up a few extra watts and watch the faces hurt even more! Alternatively you can be hurting but the faces behind you are talking and have their mouths shut in between sentences! ;)

Not bad for safety too if you are like me and ride with headphones on country roads.

Ive used a few and rate this one the best.

http://www.aspirevelotech.com/Merchant2 ... e=RBM_1001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*I don't get a commission if you buy a mirror, I just rate these mirrors and have em on all my bikes and always get asked about where to get one. They are a bit fiddly to set up BUT stay solid for years. YOU have to set them up as a mechanic doesnt sit like you do on YOUR bike. :)
Vegan since 2001.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Best bike mirror on the market??

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Agree with all that. A pain to set up right but worth it on the road. All my dropbars have one.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Can anyone suggest a mirror suitable for a hybrid bike? I have no idea whether I can just use a standard bar end mirror - when putting on lights and a bike computer on my bike, the handlebars have a really small circumference. And I can't quite tell from the ultra-close up pics what types of bikes these mirrors go on.

But after 3 commutes on busy bike paths (with a LOT of bikes speeding past me), and some hellish spots where cars have to cross bike lanes, a mirror has become an essential item that I never considered. I don't even know how much I need to spend, because I can only find the bar-end ones, which as I say I don't know if they're suitable.

A mirror affixed to my helmet is a last resort. I think I would find it extremely annoying having so much going on (in the mirror) so close to my eye...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:06 pm

I dig the little mirror attached to my glasses :)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:06 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:Can anyone suggest a mirror suitable for a hybrid bike?
I've found the Cateye race mirror to work well on flat bar bikes.
http://www.this link is broken/cateye-bm-300g-race-mirror/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:14 pm

Nobody wrote:
I've found the Cateye race mirror to work well on flat bar bikes.
http://www.this link is broken/cateye-bm-300g-race-mirror/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks man.

Epic fail by me... I'd checked Australian sites for a mirror, and hadn't checked Wiggle. (I was hoping that if I ordered tonight in Australia, maaaaybe I might have it by Thursday, cos Friday is my next planned ride to work).

As well as that link that you've posted, there's also one that specifically says it's for hybrids:

http://www.this link is broken.au/blackburn-atbhybrid-mirror/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But that one attaches by velcro, which I think would be really annoying. And none of the Wiggle ones would be here for a week or so anyway.

I guess mirrors might be the type of thing that I just need to go to the LBS for. A trip to the LBS is a good excuse to use the 3 months worth of free servicing that came with the bike I guess.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:19 pm

I have been fairly impressed by the versatility of the Busch & Muller Cyclestar series. Basically you purchase either of the different arm length variants and they come with both a bar end mount AND a beefy ring clamp style attachment for attaching their ball&socket arm attachment.

Peter White details them a bit better here (in English)

Haven't seen them on any of the big UK based online stores, but mainly the continental European ones.

Also good for us cranky luddites who have bar end shifters hanging out the end of our drop bars. ;)

--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:23 pm

This mob in Melbourne has them : commutercycles.com.au but have no prices listed :?

Good odds they'd be cheaper tacked onto an online order, though.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:24 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:As well as that link that you've posted, there's also one that specifically says it's for hybrids:
I've bought a Blackburn mirror before. I'd still say try the Cateye first.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:31 pm

People still ride hybrids? ;)

With the more relaxed geometry of road bikes these days the aero advantages of a road bike vs hybrid for commuting really make sense.
Vegan since 2001.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:17 pm

HappyHumber wrote:
I have been fairly impressed by the versatility of the Busch & Muller Cyclestar series. Basically you purchase either of the different arm length variants and they come with both a bar end mount AND a beefy ring clamp style attachment for attaching their ball&socket arm attachment.

Peter White details them a bit better here (in English)

Haven't seen them on any of the big UK based online stores, but mainly the continental European ones.
St John Street Cycles have them.
HappyHumber wrote:Also good for us cranky luddites who have bar end shifters hanging out the end of our drop bars. ;)
There is also one with no stem that fits into drop bar ends very nicely.

HappyHumber wrote: Image
The short stem version is better for most purposes if you can fit it - much less vibration of the mirror.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:26 pm

Take A Look was the name. :)

m@

Postby m@ » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:20 pm

I have a Zefal Spy, which I swap between MTB/hybrid commuter, roadie and occasionally MTB if I'm riding to/from trails. Very versatile and surprisingly good optics for a plastic mirror.

I have a Cateye racing mirror that hasn't come out of the parts box for the best part of five years; I find it a pain as it's easily knocked out of position, but others like them.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:33 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:Can anyone suggest a mirror suitable for a hybrid bike? I have no idea whether I can just use a standard bar end mirror - when putting on lights and a bike computer on my bike, the handlebars have a really small circumference. And I can't quite tell from the ultra-close up pics what types of bikes these mirrors go on.

But after 3 commutes on busy bike paths (with a LOT of bikes speeding past me), and some hellish spots where cars have to cross bike lanes, a mirror has become an essential item that I never considered. I don't even know how much I need to spend, because I can only find the bar-end ones, which as I say I don't know if they're suitable.

A mirror affixed to my helmet is a last resort. I think I would find it extremely annoying having so much going on (in the mirror) so close to my eye...
Mountain Mirrycle mirror http://www.mirrycle.com/mirrycle_mirrors.php i've got four of them on our bikes, used both on road & off. Highly recommend them.

Crowey

Postby Crowey » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:32 pm

I have found the Bike-Eye to be very effective (http://www.bike-eye.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - the build quality is not so great, the mirror seems to get corroded after awhile around the edges, but I've found it to be extremely effective and its also pretty protected where its attached. And even with shipping from the UK, I didn't find the price too off-putting.

Only thing I would add, is that when I buy my next one (and I will) I'll go for the larger size.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:11 am

Crowey wrote:I have found the Bike-Eye to be very effective (http://www.bike-eye.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Entirely wrong product for me. In between my legs getting in the way and the impossibility of seeing past rear panniers, it would be completely useless :roll:

For any rider, the field of view is going to be severely limited by your legs when compared to a good helmet-mirror or bar-mount mirror. I like to see the whole road, and can with my B&M Cyclestar, rather than just a section of it.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:50 pm

In the fast bunch yesterday containing an ex-national champ, we hit the last section of Norton Summit and I launched off the front. I looked in my Italian Racing Mirror and could see he was trying to get across on my wheel. I knew if he got on he would easily out sprint me so I kicked up to 10watts per kg and held it till I saw him turn into a speck and coasted across the line for Strava UCI points.

Without that mirror I would have been a goner. Italian Racing Mirror saved my cycling reputation for another ride. :wink:
Vegan since 2001.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yp6_CW ... ata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael A

Postby Michael A » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:56 pm

I use the EVT safe zone mirror. After getting used to it and scanning from time to time, it is really quite good.

The hard part is keeping my three year-old from fiddling with it. That isn't so bad, but people at work saying "Ooo, is that a mirror, allow me to stuff up the position you just got right for you." are the real challenge.

http://safezonemirror.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;