Some Audax rides around Bendigo

ausrandoman

Some Audax rides around Bendigo

Postby ausrandoman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:38 pm

The Audax club is offering some rides in central Victoria.

If you want to get into Audax, here's a chance to step up from 200 km to 300 km to 400 km :shock: to 600 km :shock: :shock: in a natural progression with suitable rest intervals between rides. Or just come along and do any one of them.

Go have a look at the Goldfields Traverse Series

DavidL

Re: Some Audax rides around Bendigo

Postby DavidL » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:46 pm

Humm, interesting. Have been looking at trying Audax this year after only talking and thinking about it for a while now.

What is the process with entering these events? Just turn up and pay $16 entry and off you go, or is there a registration process?

Where is the start location? I understand I might be missing something obvious here but I suppose these are the questions that have stopped me in the past.

- David.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:21 pm

Contact the organizer listed, David. Non-members welcome, just the fee for the day is a bit more.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:35 pm

All rides are listed on the calendar at http://www.audax.org.au/joomla-calendar-mySQL.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Find one that suits and contact the organiser during the week before the ride (earlier if it is one of the most popular rides) so they know to expect you and to get details like start time and location.(Maps linked from the website are not always accurate)
Good idea to check up on the rules before taking part (esp lighting).
Turn up on the day at the designated place and time, pay your fee and ride.
You will find everyone friendly and supportive.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

clackers

Postby clackers » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:45 pm

KenGS wrote: You will find everyone friendly and supportive.
+1. You can be an individual, set yourself goals and not worry about obligations to anyone else, or be more collaborative - the format suits all.

The after work ride I did last week - only 35km, on dirt tracks around the Yarra/Plenty rivers, led by the club's magazine editor and finishing with pizza at the Mountain Goat Brewery In Richmond - had a strong social feel to it.

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:21 am

Ok, this all sounds good. I need to spend more time with people that are more concerned with the quality (and quantity) of coffee than their strava times.

Lighting requirements are easy enough, the requirements are all pretty straight forward. But can someone school me on the reflective vests? The "industrial" one I have at home would be a PIA to ride in, if for no other reason than it wouldn't breath at all; but doesn't pack small and is heavy for what it is! What/where do I need to go to get one suitable, I have seen "Brooks" logos on the ones in the regs, so any store selling running gear?

I guess this is marginal and not enough? Polaris RBS Gilet
This has more, but is it enough? Sportful Reflex 2 Vest

Some guidance and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

- David.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:38 am

DavidL wrote:
Lighting requirements are easy enough, the requirements are all pretty straight forward. But can someone school me on the reflective vests?
All those regs only apply if parts of the ride include times of darkness.

Your ride organizer determines if the vest isn't good enough, and I've never found them anything but helpful.

I think the minimum is a long 1cm wide strip of reflector, so the piping alone on your favourite jersey wouldn't be enough, but both of the products you propose surely comply!

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:54 pm

A reflective bandolier is also acceptable
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:56 pm

DavidL wrote:Ok, this all sounds good. I need to spend more time with people that are more concerned with the quality (and quantity) of coffee than their strava times.

Lighting requirements are easy enough, the requirements are all pretty straight forward. But can someone school me on the reflective vests? The "industrial" one I have at home would be a PIA to ride in, if for no other reason than it wouldn't breath at all; but doesn't pack small and is heavy for what it is! What/where do I need to go to get one suitable, I have seen "Brooks" logos on the ones in the regs, so any store selling running gear?

I guess this is marginal and not enough? Polaris RBS Gilet
This has more, but is it enough? Sportful Reflex 2 Vest

Some guidance and/or recommendations would be appreciated.

- David.
First and most important: Why suck on a petrochemical gel when you could have a coffee in one hand and a big sticky bun in the other :lol: Join Audax and you too can become an expert on the nutritional value of vanilla slices vs. apricot Danishes.

For guidance on reflective vests, see http://www.audax.org.au/public/images/s ... rments.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are a number of light weight mesh vests that are very breathable and fit in a jersey pocket. From the photo of the Polaris RBS Gilet, I'd say the amount of reflective tape is marginal. The Sportful vest looks as if it would easily comply.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:55 pm

ausrandoman wrote:First and most important: Why suck on a petrochemical gel when you could have a coffee in one hand and a big sticky bun in the other :lol: Join Audax and you too can become an expert on the nutritional value of vanilla slices vs. apricot Danishes.
On last weekend's Bound for Baw Baw ride we were also treated to that much discussed delicacy West African Peanut Soup.

As for reflective garments, I use a reflective sash and waistband as shown in the guidelines
But you needn't worry much about those at this time of year. Even if you do the Hotham Challenge a vest is supplied.
Although if you want to join this week's Salute to Irene Plowman then you'll definitely need to comply
Just pick a ride from the calendar and join in.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:45 pm

First Audax crossed of the Bucket list today.

To anyone on here that was out there today doing the Bendigo-Nagambie-Bendigo was a great ride if not a little on the hot side.

Spent most of the afternoon in the hurt locker but was totally worth it!

Now getting ready for the 300km.

- David.

clackers

Postby clackers » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:20 pm

Fantastic, David! Two weeks ago I did the 100km loop out of Daylesford to Maldon. The hill coming back into Hepburn Springs was apparently one of Opperman's favourite places to make an attack.

The other guys (at least one had ridden Paris-Brest-Paris) followed up with a second loop to Castlemaine and back to make up 200km.

Hope you've got the bug. :smile:

ausrandoman

Postby ausrandoman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:15 pm

DavidL wrote:First Audax crossed of the Bucket list today.

To anyone on here that was out there today doing the Bendigo-Nagambie-Bendigo was a great ride if not a little on the hot side.

Spent most of the afternoon in the hurt locker but was totally worth it!

Now getting ready for the 300km.

- David.
Bravo, sir!
Nobody younger than <del>27</del> 28 has experienced a month cooler than the 20th century average.