The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:12 am

Hipster on a white fixie this morning around 8:05am on Elizabeth Street Sydney running three red lights in a row, all the way up to Goulburn Street Sydney. And then later running another red light too...

Time for hipsters and their bikes to be registered? :P
g-boaf

by BNA » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:20 am

BNA

Postby Howzat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:20 am

Nah - just the hipsters. :D
Howzat

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:45 am

Howzat wrote:Nah - just the hipsters. :D

+1
jasonc

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:10 am

Aushiker wrote:Haven't had silly cyclist in awhile then two in a week. This is number 2.

This "incident" occurred at bottom of the southern decent into Scarborough Beach on the Recreational Shared Path (RSP). It is a quick decent and I was on the brakes as sometimes there are pedestrians and/or pedestrians with dogs and/or sand on the path.

What I was not expecting was a cyclist pulling a passing move on the blind corner.

I managed to squeeze pass without getting on to the grass, but it was close.

Not sure if the guy was racing the other riders or going full out for the hill, either way pretty stupid for this recreational shared path and more so for this area.

Andrew

You have to watch out for those dangerous non-lycra louts. :D
biker jk

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:41 am

g-boaf wrote:Hipster on a white fixie this morning around 8:05am on Elizabeth Street Sydney running three red lights in a row, all the way up to Goulburn Street Sydney. And then later running another red light too...

Just wonderin'...

How'd you manage to stay with him enough to witness all four acts of dillery that should theoretically have him well in front? I can understand one or two... :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:46 am

Regarding Andrews last vid:
Does anybody think that road style line marking of paths (ie, solid doubles on blind turns or other areas deemed dangerous to overtake) have made any difference?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 am

Mulger bill wrote:Regarding Andrews last vid:
Does anybody think that road style line marking of paths (ie, solid doubles on blind turns or other areas deemed dangerous to overtake) have made any difference?

Not an iota on paths I use for my commute and elsewhere in Sydney. You get runners in bike-only sections and plenty of idiots of all cycling persuasions overtaking when clearly (but not to them) stupid and risky to do so.
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:07 am

Mulger bill wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Hipster on a white fixie this morning around 8:05am on Elizabeth Street Sydney running three red lights in a row, all the way up to Goulburn Street Sydney. And then later running another red light too...

Just wonderin'...

How'd you manage to stay with him enough to witness all four acts of dillery that should theoretically have him well in front? I can understand one or two... :?

Traffic was surprisingly reasonable! He can only go so fast up hills, and his acceleration is slow. :D Unfortunately a bit later on, the line of leap-frogging buses ruined everything. :roll: Next week I'm
no longer in the damn traffic, thank heavens.

biker jk wrote:You have to watch out for those dangerous non-lycra louts. :D

ROTFLMAO! :lol:

The better one this morning was the crazy guy on a flat-bar bike with standard commuter gear and usual extras coming out of the Uni grounds at Broadway, going across the road in front of the Apple shop (NextByte I think it is). The traffic to go into the city had a green to go and he just went flying across the front of them all. :shock: I thought he was going to get collected. :shock:
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g-boaf

Postby tubby74 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:41 am

its certainly not solved the issue but it has helped
tubby74

Postby citywomble » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:34 pm

Mulger Bill wrote:
Regarding Andrews last vid:

Simplistic answer: NO.

However, correcting attitudes and practices is a longer process which, with the right degree of 'public information' through media and TV, primarily by state and federal governments, then this would all contribute.

The other issue, where there is already a difference, is that the lines would give much legal protection for the blameless rider (in this case Andrew). In the event that he received, or caused a serious injury, the fact that he complied with the regulatory 'road' markings and the other rider did not, would be very significant. Thats without considering the road authority (or in this case local government) that would also be protected against claims arising from such stupidity by identifying, warning and attempting to mitigate the risk.

Complex answer: Yes but can do better.
citywomble

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Boognoss wrote:

Not an iota on paths I use for my commute and elsewhere in Sydney. You get runners in bike-only sections and plenty of idiots of all cycling persuasions overtaking when clearly (but not to them) stupid and risky to do so.

I think the cyclists on the paths in my area pay attention, but in my area, the paths aren't all linked together and there are some places where the shared path just disappears completely and isn't linked to ones that are maybe about 1km away - so to be honest, there aren't that many people using the shared paths, certainly not like what I've seen in the videos of say Boognoss with what looked like a lot of cyclists in a small area or maybe what you see in the city. I live in an area that is still relatively unfriendly to cycling, most people prefer to use their cars to get around and we don't have the kind of end-to-end seemless off-road cycling options that some other parts of the city have. It's a good start, but there is more than could be done.

But the lines on the path and arrows are a good thing to have, it encourages people to do the right thing and gives perhaps some enforcement ability to make people stick to their side of the path, etc. That's an important thing and makes it safer for everyone. The next bit is the harder one, that's making the paths themselves safer. Near Granville/Parramatta, underneath the Granville to Merrylands railway bridge, that tiny narrow path beside Woodville Road is apparently a shared path. But it's only wide enough for one bike, and is very close to the fast moving traffic nearby. The real danger is one cyclist going one direction, then another one coming the other way has to stop at the other end, or both have to dismount and one has to walk on the road because it is so narrow.

There has to be a better way than this to link between the shared path alongside the railway line and the one headed to Homebush and Parramatta.
g-boaf

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Depends on whether cyclists overtake on blind corners because (a) they don't realise it is dangerous or (b) they don't care. I had a front wheel pretzelled by a woman who fell into the first category and it is at least possible that a line of paint might alleviate that ignorance, but I suspect that for the most part it is a lack of care & a white stripe is not going to make a scrap of difference.

I could make some suggestions on what would make a difference, but these are likely to be frowned upon in a civilised society
find_bruce

Postby fatdudeonabike » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Aushiker wrote:Haven't had silly cyclist in awhile then two in a week. This is number 2.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4TXJVGS150&hd=1[/youtube]

Damn man, I nearly had to change my underwear after watching that on computer.

Did you scream abuse? Poop yourself?
fatdudeonabike

Postby outnabike » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:36 pm

fatdudeonabike wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4TXJVGS150&hd=1[/youtube]

Damn man, I nearly had to change my underwear after watching that on computer.

Did you scream abuse? Poop yourself?

That is a close call all right and nowhere left to go either, with a fence right there. I reckon you can paint all the lines you like on the road with riders like that. I just don't know how you missed him.
outnabike

Postby ILMB » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:38 pm

NO!!!! :shock:

But wish it did! :D
ILMB

Postby TigerFilly » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:03 pm

I think this warrants my first entry in this thread.
Came across a young bloke in sweatshirt and rats-tail, sitting on his too-small bike having a smoke. His bike was smack bang on the centre line of the bike path with his feet splayed out to either side. I guess he couldn't be bothered moving off the path for his cigarette.
TigerFilly

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:26 am

Go to be a couple of sides to this story of violent cyclists aggressively intimidating and stalking this innocent motorist:

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/moto ... 6577414306
g-boaf

Postby Percrime » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:34 am

Yeah.. methinks so
Percrime

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:35 am

TigerFilly wrote:I think this warrants my first entry in this thread.
Came across a young bloke in sweatshirt and rats-tail, sitting on his too-small bike having a smoke. His bike was smack bang on the centre line of the bike path with his feet splayed out to either side. I guess he couldn't be bothered moving off the path for his cigarette.

:shock: When you gotta go, you gotta go...

Apparently... (I wouldn't know as I don't smoke)
And don't diss his bike. It is HAWT... Not

I've seen a couple of riders riding these too-small bikes along the roads, having to stand up and pedal the whole time and all I can think is "Ouch, that's got to be killing the legs".

:lol:
Summernight

Postby Howzat » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:36 am

What, another side to this guy's story of being monstered by aggressive cyclists? Unpossible! :roll:

Howzat

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 am

Howzat wrote:What, another side to this guy's story of being monstered by aggressive cyclists? Unpossible! :roll:

He looks like a perfectly friendly driver, in a perfectly subtle and gentle looking car.
g-boaf

Postby hannos » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:52 am

Maybe the in-car cameras he has now install will show him breaking road rules?

He
had tooted the group of cyclists with his car horn when they crossed into his lane

"I had given them a toot to move them into their proper lane," he said.

Hmmm, methinks Mr Hull needs to brush up on his QLD Road Rules.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:53 am

i love how they've convinced him that getting behind the wheel of his phallic magnitudinal compensatory-mobile for a photo-op would be a good idea :D
jules21

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:14 am

hannos wrote:Maybe the in-car cameras he has now install will show him breaking road rules?

He
had tooted the group of cyclists with his car horn when they crossed into his lane

"I had given them a toot to move them into their proper lane," he said.

Hmmm, methinks Mr Hull needs to brush up on his QLD Road Rules.

I thought the exact same thing. :roll:
Summernight

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:21 am

I find it amusing they published his number plate aswell. Maybe the photograpger is a cyclist? :P
Lukeyboy

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion