Broken/Sheared Cassette

clydesmcdale

Broken/Sheared Cassette

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:25 am

So this happened last night.... no idea why. Anyone else experience this?

Was coming up a short sharp climb and then heard a clank. Assumed at first, I’d either dropped a chain or broke a spoke. Stopped dead as I lost any resistance at the pedals. The guy behind me coming up the hill stopped, bent down and picked up part of my 16T ring which had spat out. Looked down at the cassette and saw half the 16T ring missing and the other half sitting up a touch.

It’s a Campagnolo Chorus 11 speed Cassette 12-29. Had it since September 2012. Always been on my carbon clinchers. Probably done a little over 1500km. Always kept reasonably clean. Last time I had the cassette off was about a 2 months ago and I always torque to spec when putting it back on.

Bought from Ribble, so have just contacted them requesting refund or replacement. Not sure how I’ll go here for a decent turn around. Would like to get it sorted ASAP, but expecting it to drag on with multiple queries and proof of damage, with arguments from them telling me it’s my own fault for some reason.

biker jk

Re: Broken/Sheared Cassette

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:48 pm

I can quite see in your photos but does the 16T cog have a carbon fibre carrier? It would be more likely to break in that case if a lateral force was applied due to a inadequate tightening of the lockring or perhaps play in the hub bearings?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:03 pm

If the lockring became loose which would only happen if it wasn't done up to spec I'd imagine that damage could be possible.

Otherwise it looks like a warranty fault, I can't think of what you could do to break it otherwise.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Too much TORQUE! :lol:

I've done similar to my middle chain ring once, bent it sideways. Simply put the stuff is engineered with little leeway due to the desire for weight savings.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:36 pm

biker jk wrote:I can quite see in your photos but does the 16T cog have a carbon fibre carrier? It would be more likely to break in that case if a lateral force was applied due to a inadequate tightening of the lockring or perhaps play in the hub bearings?
Lockring tightness was certainly one of my first thoughts when I got it home and had a look. However I was thinking too tight. But as can be seen the spacers are still there and in tact.

If they had broken/split and/or came away I would expect to see some lateral movement. Certainly hadn't felt any movement in the hundreds of kms since last I reinstalled the cassette.

I was putting alot of pressure on the pedals grinding pretty hard up a bit of a wall and thrwing it side to side. So maybe some flex??
I dunno, just hoping to get it sorted pretty quickly. LBS quoted $250+ for replacement they didn't have in stock, where it's around $100 online.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:21 pm

human909 wrote:Too much TORQUE! :lol:

I've done similar to my middle chain ring once, bent it sideways. Simply put the stuff is engineered with little leeway due to the desire for weight savings.
Didn't see this earlier... Surely not?

I would have expected the gear should be able to put up with an average rider putting a bit of pressure down. What happens when the pros wail down in sprints?

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:
biker jk wrote:I can quite see in your photos but does the 16T cog have a carbon fibre carrier? It would be more likely to break in that case if a lateral force was applied due to a inadequate tightening of the lockring or perhaps play in the hub bearings?
Lockring tightness was certainly one of my first thoughts when I got it home and had a look. However I was thinking too tight. But as can be seen the spacers are still there and in tact.
How could you think it was too tight? Your origional post says it was torqued correctly.

You either installed it with a torque wrench or you didn't.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:35 pm

jacks1071 wrote:
clydesmcdale wrote:
How could you think it was too tight? Your origional post says it was torqued correctly.

You either installed it with a torque wrench or you didn't.
Hence as to why I dismissed this first thought.

Wal42

Postby Wal42 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:59 am

Where it is broken, can you see any signs of discolouration of the metal?

I've not had anything to do with late model Campy, but it appears that the ring has stress fractured, it would be unusual for it so suddenly fail in such a catastrophic way (but then rings are very thin & they now feature lots of weight saving holes, etc), without first cracking, you should see a discolouration where the ring cracked before failing. It could very well be a flaw during manufacture (but don't quote me on that), if it was then probably (warranty conditions vary between manufacturers & more importantly distributors) subject to warranty replacement, if it was in the motor vehicle industry the company would record that in case of further similar events occurring, then they would do a 'field service' (warranty repair/replace), possibly a large company like Campy would do likewise.

I'd take it to your LBS & have them contact the Campy rep & ask questions about why & whether it is a warranty repair.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:42 am

Wal42 wrote:Where it is broken, can you see any signs of discolouration of the metal?

I've not had anything to do with late model Campy, but it appears that the ring has stress fractured, it would be unusual for it so suddenly fail in such a catastrophic way (but then rings are very thin & they now feature lots of weight saving holes, etc), without first cracking, you should see a discolouration where the ring cracked before failing. It could very well be a flaw during manufacture (but don't quote me on that), if it was then probably (warranty conditions vary between manufacturers & more importantly distributors) subject to warranty replacement, if it was in the motor vehicle industry the company would record that in case of further similar events occurring, then they would do a 'field service' (warranty repair/replace), possibly a large company like Campy would do likewise.

I'd take it to your LBS & have them contact the Campy rep & ask questions about why & whether it is a warranty repair.
Having just had a quick look, can't see any discolouration. Certainly hadn't noticed any cracking prior to the failure when I gave it a quick clean whilst still on the wheel on Friday of last week. It's failed right at the points of the weight saving penetrations as can be seen in these photos.

I've had a generic response from Ribble this morning and will be sending it back for their inspection. They said to include reciept for postage, which they'll reimburse if it's a warranty. Looks as though they're quoting a turnaround of 10-14 days once they've recieved it.

I was in the LBS yesterday and showed them what happened. Whilst they were interested enough to comment they'd never seen this before, they didn't offer any suggestion as to why and I wasn't looking to extract info out of them considering I didn't purchase it from them.

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Manufacturing/material problems invariably happen and you've probably won the 1:1,000,000 prize. Go and buy a Lotto and wait for your replacement cassette. :)
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:44 pm

sogood wrote:Manufacturing/material problems invariably happen and you've probably won the 1:1,000,000 prize. Go and buy a Lotto and wait for your replacement cassette. :)
+1

Happened on a 10sp Shimano cassette up here a month or so back. Can be a long ride home if you can only use the for big cogs and your out in the country side.

Without providing photos of your legs, I would say this is just a manufacturing defect. See how you go with warranty, they are not cheap cassettes.

- David.

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Are you riding a FM098?
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:49 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:Are you riding a FM098?
yep

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:32 pm

clydesmcdale wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:Are you riding a FM098?
yep
Ah, I reconize the seatstay cause I just got a FM098. :lol:
Sorry for the fact I have nothing to contribute to the oringinal topic, lol.
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:31 am

Updated to this, just received a refund after 4 months of chasing around.

21/02 - Sent the cassette back to Ribble as a warranty claim.
5/03 - Email to Ribble, querying acceptance
5/03 - Email from Ribble saying they hadn't go it yet.
5/03 - Email from Ribble that cassette has been received and sent to supplier (Campagnolo) for warranty assessment.
11/04 - Email to Ribble querying progress.
12/04 - Email from Ribble advising Cassette on route back to Ribble after being approved for replacement and advised it will be with me shortly.
17/05 - Email to Ribble querying location of Cassette
20/05 - Email from Ribble saying they sent it, but to wrong address (not the one I requested it to be sent to, as I no longer have access to that address).
20/05 - Email to Ribble stating which address I outlined it to be sent to and for them to contact their delivery service for amendment of delivery.
21/05 - Email from Ribble stating they contacted Auspost for redirection to correct address
26/05 - Email to Ribble requesting refund as the cassette has not been received.
28/05 - Refund accepted in my Paypal Account.

Well that was easy :roll:

DavidL

Postby DavidL » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:39 pm

Well your not out of pocket for it. I would say that is a good outcome, considering the initial cost saving of going to Ribble for these I would take that messing around as a acceptable.

- David.