Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby richbee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:33 pm

richbee
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:58 pm

by BNA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:58 pm

BNA
 

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby elantra » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Gee i was cross the other day there was a speed camera car at the base of the Coottha when i rode up but it was GONE by the time i came down :?
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
User avatar
elantra
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:01 am
Location: Trying to avoid the Brisbane traffic.

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby Shpox » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:47 pm

It bothers me that they're going to this much effort after cyclists given that they're a minority on the road, but nonetheless, cyclists should be no exception the speed no matter what time of day. Two pieces of rubber and a 23mm rim aren't going to slow down as quick as a vehicle but on the other hand, you'll have guys going for those strava times :roll:
User avatar
Shpox
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:54 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland.

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby marinmomma » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Shpox wrote:....you'll have guys going for those strava times :roll:



Who would do such a thing??? :wink:

Anyway, it's a waste of time trying to chase a segment on the downhill...as soon as one is created some Wally flags it as hazardous and all the leader boards are removed :roll:
Last edited by marinmomma on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:03 pm

that sounds like basic common sense to me. a couple of square centimetres of rubber contact patch doesn't give you much margin for error, and downhill segments just reward the lardiest, biggest, heaviest, and stupidest in any case.

I seem to remember Strava being sued recently. Does anyone remember the circumstances... ah, yes, that's right, a guy was killed chasing a downhill strava segment KOM.

On our local mtb ride networking site (nobmob.com) the admin has always removed any downhill Hot Lap segments people may post, in order to circumvent any temptation to stupidity. Very sensible IMO.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10306
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby Wal42 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:31 pm

trailgumby wrote: downhill segments just reward the lardiest, biggest, heaviest, and stupidest in any case.



I'm one of those big lardy guys, whilst I agree that there is a time & place for going fast, there is also quite a skill in decending safely.

To make a blanket claim that anyone who is not a climber
trailgumby wrote: biggest, heaviest, and stupidest
, stinks of a degree of arrogance, my background is track sprinting & some downhill MTB racing, so I'm never going to be a greyhound like climber, but I think that I pretty much know what limits are & can usually descend quicker than any of my riding buddies who excel in climbing, to be very quick downhill requires a skill in bike control, braking technique & weight distribution, just like climbing, it is a skill.
Wal42
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby marinmomma » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks Wal for your post....I have pondered over TG's response, if you look at the Strava leader boards for the descent on Coottha there are some seasoned riders listed there...far from the heaviest etc riders!
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Idiots try to to fang it down steep slopes. Hell, even I would rather attack the hill going up than down. 'cos just like a bicyclist, it is far easier to come off the front going down hill and the result far worse than coming off going uphill.

And besides, as others have suggested, it is not much of a measure of athletic ability.

(Remembering now, I had just such an idiot friend who travelled east, got a nice new CF bike when they really were a big and not common deal. And successfully destroyed a beautiful piece of machinery by ridin git downhill well outside of it's design parameters and his ability.

Last time I spoke to him there was no certainty that he would not have some lifelong disabilities.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
User avatar
ColinOldnCranky
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby elantra » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:57 am

Hi Wal, Lisa, must be about time for a hot lap of Coottha.
Up the back and down the front is best.
But i am a bit out of form, only managed 67 km/hr descending the other day.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
User avatar
elantra
 
Posts: 1810
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:01 am
Location: Trying to avoid the Brisbane traffic.

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby Wal42 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:44 am

I don't ride Coot tha very often, it is quite easy for me to exceed 80kph on the downhill run, I don't think that speed on that stretch of road is safe, UNLESS it is closed for an event.

Doing much over 70kph on a normal road (at most times), I think is dangerous, you have to be well aware of traction limits of your tyres (you'll easily lock a wheel before you'll exceed the abilities of your brakes, most of the time) & the minimium braking distance that your setup will manage before attempting any very high speed descents.

Watch any pro tour race & you'll see the better descenders doing some phenomenal speeds, in an Australian Masters road race event one year, we were exceeding 100kph on a section of road (closed course), nobody crashed. Besides me, I don't think anybody could have been termed 'lardy, big, heavy OR stupid'.

My point is that you can do things safely, or you can do things unsafely, to make a blanket statement is incorrect, most big, heavy riders probably don't ride up Coot tha anyway as it's way too much hard work, this is probably why most of the record holders are the fitter more professional riders.

Yeah, just for a change I took the bait from one of the myriad of online 'experts', maybe I should just treat them with the level of respect they deserve.
Wal42
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby master6 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:59 am

Wal42 wrote:I don't ride Coot tha very often, it is quite easy for me to exceed 80kph on the downhill run, I don't think that speed on that stretch of road is safe, UNLESS it is closed for an event.

Doing much over 70kph on a normal road (at most times), I think is dangerous, you have to be well aware of traction limits of your tyres (you'll easily lock a wheel before you'll exceed the abilities of your brakes, most of the time) & the minimium braking distance that your setup will manage before attempting any very high speed descents.

Watch any pro tour race & you'll see the better descenders doing some phenomenal speeds, in an Australian Masters road race event one year, we were exceeding 100kph on a section of road (closed course), nobody crashed. Besides me, I don't think anybody could have been termed 'lardy, big, heavy OR stupid'.

My point is that you can do things safely, or you can do things unsafely, to make a blanket statement is incorrect, most big, heavy riders probably don't ride up Coot tha anyway as it's way too much hard work, this is probably why most of the record holders are the fitter more professional riders.

Yeah, just for a change I took the bait from one of the myriad of online 'experts', maybe I should just treat them with the level of respect they deserve.

What ARE you doing Wal? Your post was made during daylight hours! You should be riding! :D
master6
 
Posts: 2659
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: depends on who is asking, and why.

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby GTRmon7 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:02 am

Yes we should obey the road rules, no it's not likely to happen. Coming down the front side at speed is the whole reason one climbs Cootha.

Be careful, be safe and be mindful of other road users. It's all fairly straight forward. If you bend the rules a little bit, so be it. But be aware of the consequences.

On the Strava front, I'm not convinced downhill segments are any more dangerous than long river loop segments or similar. I know guys whyo scream round blind corners, through intersections and stop signs with little care for other road users. At least the Cootha downhill segments are usually fairly quiet and predictable. Coming down, say, Dornoch Tce at full pelt is more dangerous I think.

Strava is an excellent tool for training and motivation, but idiots will be idiots.
GTRmon7
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:54 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby Wal42 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:30 pm

master6 wrote:What ARE you doing Wal? Your post was made during daylight hours! You should be riding! :D



I'm on holidays, I'm trying the 'not riding because I'm on holiday's thing', rode a few days last week, got back from hunting trip last night, so today is day 5 straight of not riding, have to admit, I'm getting somewhat edgy. In the last 30 years, I think 3 days straight is the most I've not ridden, not sure what the legs will be like when I ride.
Wal42
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Pesky cyclists going too fast down Coot-Tha again...

Postby marinmomma » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:58 pm

GTRmon7 wrote:Yes we should obey the road rules, no it's not likely to happen. Coming down the front side at speed is the whole reason one climbs Cootha.

Be careful, be safe and be mindful of other road users. It's all fairly straight forward. If you bend the rules a little bit, so be it. But be aware of the consequences.

On the Strava front, I'm not convinced downhill segments are any more dangerous than long river loop segments or similar. I know guys whyo scream round blind corners, through intersections and stop signs with little care for other road users. At least the Cootha downhill segments are usually fairly quiet and predictable. Coming down, say, Dornoch Tce at full pelt is more dangerous I think.

Strava is an excellent tool for training and motivation, but idiots will be idiots.



+1, well said..and before Strava people still tried to push it on downhills...
Lisa
marinmomma
 
Posts: 1992
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:12 pm
Location: Southside Brisbane


Return to Queensland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit