New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

find_bruce

Re: New B&M IQ headlight in the pipeline

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:17 pm

rifraf wrote: Its a shame the 90 lux is for short bursts only but saying that, I've always found the 60(?) I think my Edelux is, to be more than impressive enough.
il padrone wrote:Actually the Edelux is 80 lux. It's the B&M Cyo that is 60.

However this Luxos is very special for its beam characteristics rather than the maximum light output.

just4thehalibut.......... verrry jealous! :P
References to Lux can get a bit confusing. Lux is a measure of light intensity, in that one lux is equal to one lumen per square meter. So a very wide beam like the luxos U produces a lot more light. The beam shots from Peter White Cycles show it pretty clearly, using the same camera settings & pretty much the same location

Edelux

Luxos U - same light intesity but a much, much wider beam.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:37 pm

I must admin that my finger is on the poised postion to purchase a B&M luxos U. Just waiting to see just4thehellaboutit in action

If he is doing the next Audax night ride. My GoPro will be filming even in lousy light but it will be comparing his luxos U against my supernova. Going on the above beam shot I'm sure his Luxos U will have a wider beam than my supernova.
But I do have the capability to run 2 dynamo lights now :roll:
Son28 classic dynamo in the front wheel and the Sunup Eco dynamo on the rear wheel
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:30 pm

Just for that Baalz I'll swing past your place tonight and melt your neighbour's cat with my headlight.

A few points. It came with a clip-on front reflector that I haven't managed to fix firmly. The remote cable would reach from the headlight to lower down on the stem riser for my Bacchetta recumbent, wouldn't reach the handlebars but would still be functional - pity that I'm moving my headlight out further to fit a fairing on, and the Luxos is going instead on my Long Haul Frucker. The remote can be used to switch the parking mode (or standlight) from regular to super bright, as well as trigger a flashing mode. And the floodlight mode depends on the cache battery and your speed, in optimum conditions of full cache and 25km/h you could run the floodlight for up to 15 minutes. And a nice feature is that when you slow to 15km/h or slower the panorama sidelights come into play and get brighter as you get slower, handy when turning a corner or chasing a cat.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you might not want to have the floodlight burning for 15 minutes on a hot Summer day (or night) as the top of the light really heats up. It'll be more than the cat cooking.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:17 pm

I'm converted, I'm buying one

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:57 am

Supernova E3 triple vs B&M IQ Luxos
B&M IQ Luxos wins easily
I've got a video but it is very grainy and doesn't really show how good this light is. Let me know if you want to see it, taken with a Gopro 2

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:44 am

Well, just did a 200km night ride out in the humid countryside. On previous rides in the same area, largely country backroads and freeway cyclepaths leading back into suburbia, I used a B&M Cyo with 60 Lux setup (model 175QTSNDI if this helps). This could light up the road or path and pick up the reflectors on road signs 1.2km away however I also rode with a Moon 350 helmet light as I needed to read roadsigns and spot roos and other furries. With the new Luxos U headlight I could still get the same shaft of brightness on the road 10 metres ahead and pick up roadside reflectors but this was now also complemented by a broad lit area between that focussed spot and me, as well as sidelights. Pretty much on a country road the verges on either side were now illuminated too, I was spotting the roos well ahead and could make out very good detail on things that I passed. Did a fair bit of frog spotting. Even with all the roos I only needed to use the helmet light once on this trip (besides for trying to fix what eventually became an endurable 29-spoked rear wheel) and I only used this light to create movement on the other verge, encourage the roo to make tracks on his side and away. This Luxos light is really what I need for the long country commutes down south as well as Audax rides. Definitely a good buy.

The floodlight wasn't what i expected, no dazzling flare of light at the push of a button, just a function that you can turn on when say dropping down the bikepath through known Bandicoot territory, a bit extra brightness. The remote however is worth it, all those extra functions you get besides the floodlight as well as the USB charger. So get the Luxos U model if you take the plunge.

Later into the night I did notice a flickering of the light at the edges of illumination, took me a while to realise that was my rear wheel starting to go egg-shaped and making the headlight and front of the bike bob up and down. It was a long night.

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:04 am

How easy would the light head be to remove?

Thinking about getting one for audax rides (already have a spare 32 spoke wheelset I could put a dynamo on), but do not want to have it attached to my roadie all the time.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:16 am

Unplug the remote from the side of the light, disconnect the cable connectors from the rear of the light, undo the mounting bolt (Torx T20) on the mounting bracket.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:20 am

il padrone wrote:Unplug the remote from the side of the light, disconnect the cable connectors from the rear of the light, undo the mounting bolt (Torx T20) on the mounting bracket.
IOW, leave the bracket on?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:40 am

Well, that depends on whether you have another bracket on the other bike or not. Over the years I have accumulated a few of the B&M brackets, including one just like this light has.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:44 am

You could mount the front light on a removable bracket on the handlebar, Supernova makes this
http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... 66;mid=303

I made up a front wheel with dynamo hub then wired up front and rear dynamo lights onto brackets like those, can take off the lights or move them between bikes easily. One step easier: it wouldn't take too much to cable tie the wires permanently on and just pop off the lights. A little bit of McGuyvering involved initially.

simonn

Postby simonn » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks just4tehhalibut. I had looked at them but was not too sure about compatibility. Are all the mounts (supernova, B&M etc) all pretty much compatible with each other? They look as if they could be from the photos etc.

I am pretty sure I can find some kind of cable tie equivalent, e.g. like the fibre flares mounts, which can be reused. Worse comes to worse I am sure I can afford a packet of cable ties each year :).

Actually, while you are here... what do you use as your spare light on Audax rides? I've already got ayups.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:06 pm

2012 model Philips battery lights on runout. 1/2 price - absolute bargain.

http://www.roseversand.com/article/phil ... aid:409750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:43 pm

MattyK wrote:2012 model Philips battery lights on runout. 1/2 price - absolute bargain.

http://www.roseversand.com/article/phil ... aid:409750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Definitely bargain basement pricing.
I looked carefully at these when they got a great writeup from a Dutch website. I wasn't keen on the aesthetics and went with the Edelux instead.

I revisited my decision with them again for my new proposed build of the Surly Ogre, but have spotted from your link that they need 15 hours of pedaling to recharge from a dynamo hub (charging time: approx. 7 hours (via power outlet), approx. 15 hours (via PC, USB connection cable not included), charging display).

I do know they do a separate dynohub version but it has inferior light output compared to this great bang for buck model.

I really do prefer the more traditional polished alloy and somewhat bullet shape of my Edelux which is the most likely contender for the Surly so far in my thinking.
I think these make a great city light and the easy removal is appealing for those situations where the bike might need to be left unattended.
That isnt going to happen with my bike so back to the drawing board.

But well spotted MattyK.
I may buy one for my sisters bike.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:48 pm

Was actually spotted by someone on candlepowerforums, but I added here for interests sake. Hell at that price you could afford two and it would absolutely monster anything on the market. (One is good enough for me, and I used to run two Magicshines)

Yes they are slow to recharge with the supplied charger (850 mA I think), but if you do it overnight it's no big deal. But because they run AAs you could swap them in 2 minutes if necessary, or remove and drop into a fast charger and charge in 1 hour or so.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:13 pm

MattyK wrote:Was actually spotted by someone on candlepowerforums, but I added here for interests sake. Hell at that price you could afford two and it would absolutely monster anything on the market. (One is good enough for me, and I used to run two Magicshines)

Yes they are slow to recharge with the supplied charger (850 mA I think), but if you do it overnight it's no big deal. But because they run AAs you could swap them in 2 minutes if necessary, or remove and drop into a fast charger and charge in 1 hour or so.
I found the review where I was first made aware of these Phillips lights
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/ ... ex_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
in case anyones interested. :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Some early user feedback coming through on the Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U 179U. I have seen feedback from six users now on the 179B and 179U and two users have reported issues with 179U failing. One German user has posted at Rose Versand that his light failed at the first encounter with "significant" rain (Google Translate). A UK poster at YACF has had to return his 179U due to it intermittently going dead as well I believe.

If there is an issue with riding in the rain with these lights then that is a concern.

Andrew

simonn

Postby simonn » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Aushiker wrote: If there is an issue with riding in the rain with these lights then that is a massive concern considering their potential user base.
FTFY

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Well.. I hope they improve the second production batch. I have mine on indefinite back-order from Bike24. All the big Euro resellers seem to have open-ended stock arrival times at the moment.

I jumped on a EUR 124.90 special price they had briefly after being impressed by at least by just4thehallibut's unit performance. At this rate I might even out do his wait time.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:48 pm

HappyHumber wrote:I jumped on a EUR 124.90 special price they had briefly after being impressed by at least by just4thehallibut's unit performance. At this rate I might even out do his wait time.
IIRC Rose Versand have stock and maybe at a lower price.

Andrew

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:02 pm

The product bookmarks I've been watching, FWIW...

It's the U model I've got on order, which seems more elusive than the B

Bike24
Star Bike
Rose Versand
St Johns Street Cycles (GBP) Not listed ATM.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:05 pm

I got an email from xxcycle last night. Cheaper than bike24 JUST.... Also much much faster shipping than ze germans

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I got an email from xxcycle last night. Cheaper than bike24 JUST.... Also much much faster shipping than ze germans
No stock of the 179U but when I looked.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:16 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:I got an email from xxcycle last night. Cheaper than bike24 JUST.... Also much much faster shipping than ze germans
+1

I got the same email. Really rather pointless :|

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:36 pm

il padrone wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
+1

I got the same email. Really rather pointless :|
Yep same, all I could do was be notified when stock was available. But this also allows for more people to find out if the first batch does indeed have a problem with rain.