ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

User avatar
The 2nd Womble
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby The 2nd Womble » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:45 am

Lukeyboy wrote:The report will be on tomorrow night (14/02/13).

Watching it later. Should be boring.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3161
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:18 pm

I don't doubt that :P

AndyTheMan
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:52 am

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby AndyTheMan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Look, I just can't keep up anymore...

One minute I'm reading a story about how cyclists are slow and holding up traffic....

The next minute I'm reading about how cyclists are breaking the speed limit and endangering themselves due to EXCESSIVELY high speed....

Surely if these stupid shows like Today Tomorrow Current Affair Night are running stories, they could at least come up with some level of consistency...

Its enough to make me question their journalistic integrity... :shock:

User avatar
Xplora
Posts: 8123
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:33 am
Location: TL;DR

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:35 pm

AndyTheMan wrote:Look, I just can't keep up anymore...

One of the Chaser's most brilliant angles was showing how these gutter shows play both sides of the story CONSTANTLY. Sexual harrassment for being too hot one week, epic boobies the next week as they run an advertorial for a bra.

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3161
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:32 pm

Xplora wrote:
AndyTheMan wrote:Look, I just can't keep up anymore...

One of the Chaser's most brilliant angles was showing how these gutter shows play both sides of the story CONSTANTLY. Sexual harrassment for being too hot one week, epic boobies the next week as they run an advertorial for a bra.


Apparently there is a new ground breaking arthritis cream available.

User avatar
Xplora
Posts: 8123
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:33 am
Location: TL;DR

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:39 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
Xplora wrote:
AndyTheMan wrote:Look, I just can't keep up anymore...

One of the Chaser's most brilliant angles was showing how these gutter shows play both sides of the story CONSTANTLY. Sexual harrassment for being too hot one week, epic boobies the next week as they run an advertorial for a bra.


Apparently there is a new ground breaking arthritis cream available.

KY? It would create a better result than watching ACA/TT :lol:

jasonc
Posts: 8550
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:30 pm

damn it! dinner/bath time got in the way

User avatar
Lukeyboy
Posts: 3161
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:14 am

You didn't miss much. Most of it was footage from Melbourne and Sydney, youtube videos, a clip of a woman on her bike going through a red light over and over, a poor acting blind man and footage from one pedestrian crossing showing bikes slowing down checking if anyone is crossing before going through the red light in the bus/bike lane.

knightsy
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby knightsy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:08 am

Lukeyboy wrote:You didn't miss much. Most of it was footage from Melbourne and Sydney, youtube videos, a clip of a woman on her bike going through a red light over and over, a poor acting blind man and footage from one pedestrian crossing showing bikes slowing down checking if anyone is crossing before going through the red light in the bus/bike lane.


Well that's hardly a fair assessment. I see you neglected to mention the 10-15 seconds of footage from a cyclists point of view for "balance" :lol:

Funny how that 10-15 seconds was the only bit that showed someone actually getting hurt too!

User avatar
outnabike
Posts: 1816
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby outnabike » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:20 am

Was that right though, 50 cyclists running a red light in 2 hrs, you have to admit cycling through a pedestrian crossing with a guy with a walking stick is poor form. He has apparently been hit 3 times.
And of course that's pretty good emotive staging. The thing is it did happen.It didn't make the cyclist look good that's for sure.

I know many who say its ok to run the red light when "I think its safe". This is the pedestrians point of view , that's all.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

PB12IN
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:34 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby PB12IN » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:08 am

I do have to agree though about the red lights, we all try claim that it is only a small minority that run lights, but lets be honest with our selves, it might be the minority but only just. If it wasn't then why would we see it all the time.
And the excuse of "I'm going to be the one to get hurt" is so stupid then why police those guys that race down the motorway at 200km+ an hour at 2 in the morning. after all most of the time if the crash they will just kill themselves with a tree or something but it is still stoped and frowned on.
I say lets get the cops sitting near some lights to book the RLJ's

Ignoto
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby Ignoto » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 am

outnabike wrote:Was that right though, 50 cyclists running a red light in 2 hrs


While I'm not supporting the cyclists actions for running the red, why was the stopping line not extended to the bus lane? You can clearly see it across the two lanes of car traffic, but it doesn't extend past that. So without riding on that road, it seems like a pretty confusing situation to be in.

User avatar
outnabike
Posts: 1816
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby outnabike » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:00 pm

Good point Ignoto,
Even the crossing lines do not continue to the curb. But the signal post is well positioned and should bee seen pretty well.
Not that well seen in this grab though.

Image
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

User avatar
herzog
Posts: 2174
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby herzog » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:13 pm

outnabike wrote:Good point Ignoto,
Even the crossing lines do not continue to the curb. But the signal post is well positioned and should bee seen pretty well.


Yeah that's on my daily commute to work. I actually spotted them filming the segment a couple of weeks back and posted a headsup on SydneyCyclist:

http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topi ... is-morning

Fortunately the small convoy of commuting cyclists in which I was riding, all stopped, so we didn't give them any material... And boy were they itching to get it - you should have seen the cameras.

The situation with the broken crossing lines, is that lane 1 was recently dug up and refilled by the electricity mob to lay new mains cables. The traffic light post is on the footpath so it still very clear that this is a red light for the full width of the road. Anyone riding through the red here knows exactly what they are doing.

Must say, on this route there is a problem with bikes flagrantly red light jumping, at this crossing and the two prior (outside a primary school).

I've seen too many close calls and of course the result is that it turns another person into a bike hater. All for the saving of a few seconds.

Actually scratch that, I always seem to catch the red light jumpers at the next major intersection so they are saving nothing. It's just laziness or impatience.

User avatar
ldrcycles
Posts: 8163
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm

jasonc wrote:i want my 30 minutes back. I watch ACA last night and the story wasn't on. my brain hurts.


LOL :lol:
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.

User avatar
trailgumby
Posts: 11777
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:31 pm

Found a link to it. About 15 seconds into it I closed the window... you could tell which way it was going. Emotionally manipulative tabloid rubbish.

I'd suggest *not* falling for it. Do not click, do not give them a sense anybody cares about this crap, and they will move onto something else.

They only go for this type of story because it stirs people up. Good for advertising revenue, and not the slightest bit good for anything else.
When all else fails, persistence prevails -- Lew Hollander

User avatar
The 2nd Womble
Posts: 3058
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Ignoto wrote:
outnabike wrote:Was that right though, 50 cyclists running a red light in 2 hrs


While I'm not supporting the cyclists actions for running the red, why was the stopping line not extended to the bus lane? You can clearly see it across the two lanes of car traffic, but it doesn't extend past that. So without riding on that road, it seems like a pretty confusing situation to be in.

You could count that many at the Gabba in 10 minutes!
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

jasonc
Posts: 8550
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:04 pm

It's alleged a cyclist got pinged doing 110km/h down coot-tha yesterday. I'm struggling to believe it.

User avatar
Purt
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby Purt » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:21 pm

jasonc wrote:It's alleged a cyclist got pinged doing 110km/h down coot-tha yesterday. I'm struggling to believe it.


lol. Hopefully he uploads to strava.

motorcyclist?

jasonc
Posts: 8550
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby jasonc » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:30 pm

Purt wrote:
jasonc wrote:It's alleged a cyclist got pinged doing 110km/h down coot-tha yesterday. I'm struggling to believe it.


lol. Hopefully he uploads to strava.

motorcyclist?


I did ask the q. The answer was "a buy on a road bike"

User avatar
il padrone
Posts: 22665
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: ATTENTION BRISBANE CYCLISTS!!!

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:49 pm

nitramluap in his velomobile??

MacDonald Pass, USA - 72pmh
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], WestcoastPete