The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: The Dumb Cyclists and Pedestrians thread...

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:25 am

hannos wrote:Maybe the in-car cameras he has now install will show him breaking road rules?

He
had tooted the group of cyclists with his car horn when they crossed into his lane

"I had given them a toot to move them into their proper lane," he said.

Hmmm, methinks Mr Hull needs to brush up on his QLD Road Rules.

Nah, didn't you know? It's "his lane".

Says it all really :roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

by BNA » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:35 am

BNA

Postby Howzat » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:35 am

Amazing how the manly he-man masculine guys in the roughest toughest 4WDs with the ram-bam bullbars and rooting shooting spotlights turn out to be the first in line to complain about those simply horrible mean scary and strangely threatening "Lycra Boys".
Howzat

Postby AKO » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:46 am

That's generally what happens on the group rides I go on. We go looking for the largest, most dangerous looking vehicles and intimidate the drivers :roll: . What a tossa.
Had a wally on his green P's in a green dual cab hilux jump on his horn while passing me the day before yesterday. He and his dweeb mate thought it quite humorous until they realised they had to stop for a red light 30 metres up the road. Both refused to make eye contact even with me politely asking if there was a problem :twisted: .
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:45 am

Lukeyboy wrote:I find it amusing they published his number plate aswell. Maybe the photograpger is a cyclist? :P

Typical Courier screw-up! I loved this comment tho, just about summed up the ignorance of road rules in a lot of the other comments.
<quote>
Dani Morena of Adelaide Posted at 12:18 PM Today
While we're on the topic of cyclists, when I was a girl we were taught to always cycle facing the oncoming traffic. It makes sense for a cyclist to see the cars coming to take any necessary defensive action, so what happened? When did it become Law that cyclists travel, blindly and dangerously, with the traffic?
<end>
Cheers
Richard
WyvernRH

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:48 am

WyvernRH wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:I find it amusing they published his number plate aswell. Maybe the photograpger is a cyclist? :P

Typical Courier screw-up! I loved this comment tho, just about summed up the ignorance of road rules in a lot of the other comments.
<quote>
Dani Morena of Adelaide Posted at 12:18 PM Today
While we're on the topic of cyclists, when I was a girl we were taught to always cycle facing the oncoming traffic. It makes sense for a cyclist to see the cars coming to take any necessary defensive action, so what happened? When did it become Law that cyclists travel, blindly and dangerously, with the traffic?
<end>
Cheers
Richard

And here is one idea that highlights there are big differences in the way people view cyclists. Some see them as cruising along the footpaths and when on the road don't go fast enough to flow with traffic, others keep a reasonable pace with traffic and would find it more dangerous to travel against.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:54 am

:mrgreen:

Surely others with an ounce of wit can trump this comfortably?

http://memegenerator.net/Mervin-Hull
Ozkaban

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:04 pm

Wakatuki

Postby muzfox » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:06 pm

I don't post here this often, but this one got to me a bit...

I cycle, not in bunch rides or anything, I do it for fitness on the road and on bike paths.

I also own, love and drive a Nissan Patrol GU just like this guy. I'm a member of a 4wd club and myself and my family love going bush and enjoy getting to places normal vehicles can't.

Some of the comments made here about drivers of 4wds are just plain offensive. Your right to your opinion, I don't begrudge you that at all..but a lot of 4wd owners also cycle, run, kayak, lots of other activities. To just lump us into some group of idiots who don't belong on the road makes you part of the problem.

My take on that article is the riders were moving into his lane, already taking up one lane. If that happened to me, I would toot as well, whether driving my 4wd, or my wifes camry. I always give respect to cyclists on the road, I'm one of them, but occasionally you come across those that don't follow the rules, or give the same respect that they expect and in those cases, my safety comes before yours, so I'll let you know your doing something wrong.

I just think some of the comments posted here don't put cyclists in a great light.

If I had a group of people turn up at my work and start abusing me from across the road, I'd feel very theatened, whether they were cyclists, truck drivers, or surfers...and that was one of the big points here. If I was cycling and a motorist did something dangerous to me, I'd report it, not turn up at their front door and hurl abuse.

My thoughts anyway.
muzfox

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:10 pm

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:14 pm

muzfox wrote:My take on that article is the riders were moving into his lane, already taking up one lane.

you might want to rethink that.

A WITNESS to the fiery encounter on Thursday between a driver and cyclists in West End has laid the blame squarely on the horn-happy motorist.

Greg Robson, who was riding on his own 75m behind the group of 20 cyclists, claims West End business owner Mervyn Hull's four-wheel-drive vehicle passed within millimetres of a rider's handlebars.
jules21

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:17 pm

jules21 wrote:
muzfox wrote:My take on that article is the riders were moving into his lane, already taking up one lane.

A WITNESS to the fiery encounter on Thursday between a driver and cyclists in West End has laid the blame squarely on the horn-happy motorist.

Greg Robson, who was riding on his own 75m behind the group of 20 cyclists, claims West End business owner Mervyn Hull's four-wheel-drive vehicle passed within millimetres of a rider's handlebars.

was waiting for a witness to come forward. now, will the QPS charge this driver. yeah right
jasonc

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Mr Hull said he has now installed in-car cameras.

That sounds like a really great idea ;)
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby CRV » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:53 pm

Ozkaban wrote:Image

:mrgreen:

Surely others with an ounce of wit can trump this comfortably?

http://memegenerator.net/Mervin-Hull

Surely this should be discussed in the dumb motorist thread :D
CRV

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:57 pm

jules21 wrote:

Yes, intriguing news, and BTW, you should always ride/drive to the conditions.

Mr Big4WD Withlights has some learning to do. Surprising they didn't include it on the Weeties box when he got his licence :roll:
il padrone

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:06 pm

CRV wrote:Surely this should be discussed in the dumb motorist thread :D

I was just thinking that...
Ozkaban

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:13 pm

jasonc wrote:was waiting for a witness to come forward. now, will the QPS charge this driver. yeah right

Even without the witness, Mr Hull admits to unecessary use of his horn
"I had given them a toot to move them into their proper lane," he said.

Qld Road Rule 224 wrote:A driver must not use, or allow to be used, a horn, or similar warning device, fitted to or in the driver’s vehicle unless—
(a) it is necessary to use the horn, or warning device, to warn other road users or animals of the approach or position of the vehicle
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units

While the maximum fine is $2,200, the on the spot fine is just $66 :roll:
find_bruce

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Back on topic now :)

No commute today, doc appointment. Drove to the docs. Must have seen 300 cars do nothing wrong. Saw 1 [shirtless] cyclist on a fixie. Cars overtake safely in the other lane, red light ahead, everybody stops ... except ... Fixie lane splits down the middle and flies through the red doing ~40kmh. Same cars have to pass him again as we go up the hill in front of the lights.

It pissed me off, and those drivers now have an even lower respect for people riding bicycles than they did before.
InTheWoods

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:32 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Saw 1 [shirtless] cyclist on a fixie.

1 question: Good bod or not? Makes all the difference. :lol:
Summernight

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Summernight wrote:

Gender can help here a bit too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ozkaban

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
Summernight wrote:

Gender can help here a bit too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

+1 on the gender comment
jasonc

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:57 pm

i tried to have a word but i turned off and she went straight - if anyone knows her please give her some advice.
jules21

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:01 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Back on topic now :)

No commute today, doc appointment. Drove to the docs. Must have seen 300 cars do nothing wrong. Saw 1 [shirtless] cyclist on a fixie. Cars overtake safely in the other lane, red light ahead, everybody stops ... except ... Fixie lane splits down the middle and flies through the red doing ~40kmh. Same cars have to pass him again as we go up the hill in front of the lights.

It pissed me off, and those drivers now have an even lower respect for people riding bicycles than they did before.

Correction - lower respect for shirtless fixie riders!
g-boaf

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 pm

jules21 wrote:Image

Good going! Now all the people in this store think I'm a weirdo for randomly laughing out loud while waiting for my lunch number to be called. Hahaha.
Lukeyboy

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:02 pm

jules21 wrote:i tried to have a word but i turned off and she went straight - if anyone knows her please give her some advice.

I'm confused so let me try to clarify what I'm seeing - the advice you would give her is that she was riding too fast for the traffic, and not looking/being aware of cars and trucks and possible squishy moments with said trucks, is that the problem? Or did I miss something in there like her running a red light?
Summernight

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:18 pm

I think it'd be about the hazards of getting anywhere alongside large trucks/buses (due to your lack of visibility to them).

But I would extend that to "avoid overtaking to the left at any time that you can". My preferred strategy is to ride to the right side of the left-most lane of traffic -usually plenty of room and you don't get boxed in/cut off by left-turners. I know it's not always easy, but I'd suggest this for jules21 as well.
il padrone

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion