Moron Motorists #3

Summernight

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:54 am

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:And I managed to hold off the e-bike today on the flat (I got up to 35kph)... Until I got to the hill and died and he leisurely passed me... Where there was a lovely Fire Control Services truck parked right in the copenhagen green bicycle lane. Lovely.
you need one of these Image

45km/h
:lol:

€5,499 might be a wee bit outside the budget. :roll:
But sure - it's on with Mr E-Bike with that monster. And also on with the motorists as 50kph is the speed limit for that street. In the Melbourne CBD it has now reduced to 40kph, not that any of the cars obey that speed when they have a clear road and there's no way I'd be doing 45 in the gutter bike lane ready to be doored or floored by car passengers/pedestrians during peak hour. But I can dream. XP

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Must admit I was equally disturbed by the close shaves by the moto and the scooter :o Motorbikes are allowed in bus-lanes eh??

Lecturing and discussing with prats such as this is virtually useless. Unless they are giving an apology just pack your cam, ride on and report if serious enough.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:44 pm

il padrone wrote:Must admit I was equally disturbed by the close shaves by the moto and the scooter :o Motorbikes are allowed in bus-lanes eh??
They seemed a bit close to me too. Legal for motor bike to ride in bus lanes in NSW, where this video was taken (road rule 158(2)). This is a NSW specific rule & a quick look suggests it applies in no other state.

Similarly for bicycles riding in a a Bus Lane
Queensland you can ride in a “bus lane or a “bus only lane” (rule 154)
NSW you can ride in a “bus lane”, but not a “bus only lane” (rule 154 & 158(2))
Victoria, Tasmania, SA, WA, ACT & NT you are not allowed to ride in a “bus lane” or a “bus only lane” (rule 154 & 158, WA regs 132 & 136)

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:15 pm

I've been passed like that in the shoulder of the M5 by a moto. scared the living daylights out of me. I'm lucky I didn't swerve to avoid debris when he passed (which is rife on the shoulder)
il padrone wrote:
Motorbikes are allowed in bus-lanes eh??
and taxis in NSW. Unless it is a Bus Only lane in which nothing BUT a bus is allowed.

legislation from Rule 158
(2) The driver of any vehicle may drive in a bicycle lane, bus lane, tram lane, transit lane or truck lane if:

(a) it is necessary for the driver to drive in the lane to avoid an obstruction, or

(b) information on or with a traffic sign applying to the lane indicates that the driver may drive in the lane, or

(c) the driver is:

(i) riding a bicycle in a bus lane (other than a bus only lane), tram lane, transit lane or truck lane, or

(ii) driving a taxi or motor bike in a bus lane (other than a bus only lane), or
2010 BMC SLC01

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:18 pm

Mulger bill wrote::. His pupils imploded :twisted:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Pure and absolute gold!

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:21 pm

hannos wrote:I've been passed like that in the shoulder of the M5 by a moto. scared the living daylights out of me. I'm lucky I didn't swerve to avoid debris when he passed (which is rife on the shoulder)
Gotta love moron motorcyclists

cp123

Postby cp123 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:22 pm

OMGosh - TG - how could you've been so patient?? I would've gone ohyoustupidsonofanidjitwhereohwheredidyoulearntodrive? or something similar.

you were so right though - she wouldn't cut off another car like that.

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 pm

wellington_street wrote:
hannos wrote:I've been passed like that in the shoulder of the M5 by a moto. scared the living daylights out of me. I'm lucky I didn't swerve to avoid debris when he passed (which is rife on the shoulder)
Yep!

I've had moto's ride behind me until I've noticed them and wave them past. I know it's illegal for them to ride there but if they're courteous then I don't really mind (I've also seen the police pull them over!)
2010 BMC SLC01

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:35 pm

hannos wrote:
wellington_street wrote:
Yep!

I've had moto's ride behind me until I've noticed them and wave them past. I know it's illegal for them to ride there but if they're courteous then I don't really mind (I've also seen the police pull them over!)
Just another example of the Must Get In Front or sense of entitlement displayed by people on all modes of transport.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:52 pm

wellington_street wrote:Just another example of the Must Get In Front or sense of entitlement displayed by people on all modes of transport.
There are a couple of motorcyclists/motor scooters who use the designated bicycle lane I commute on to get to the front of the car queue when it is banked up two blocks. I have no problem with them doing this as long as they don't hold me up in my designated lane and get out of it so I can be at the front of the queue (for bicycles, of course :lol: ) - they can deal with the police if they get caught doing this. If they blocked me in my lane I might say something different.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:59 pm

find_bruce wrote:Similarly for bicycles riding in a a Bus Lane
Queensland you can ride in a “bus lane or a “bus only lane” (rule 154)
NSW you can ride in a “bus lane”, but not a “bus only lane” (rule 154 & 158(2))
Victoria, Tasmania, SA, WA, ACT & NT you are not allowed to ride in a “bus lane” or a “bus only lane” (rule 154 & 158, WA regs 132 & 136)
In Victoria you may ride in a bus lane where signed. I do it every day on my commute - the lane is signed "bicycles permitted". In reality there are very few dedicated "bus only lanes" as these force cyclists to ride out mid-stream in the next lane, which is stressful for most and places inexperienced riders in greater danger of collisions.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:01 pm

oh - had 2 this morning
had a car cut me off turning into St lucia golf club (indooroopilly rd)
and the second one was great
round about just after that. i was turning right into lambert rd. truck with trailer coming the opposite direction went anyway. i waited. eventually the truck went past. turns out he was doing a U-turn. he didn't make it. about 10 seconds after I get past I hear a good ol' thump - he hit one of the signs :mrgreen:

Steve_F

Postby Steve_F » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:58 pm

find_bruce wrote: Victoria, Tasmania, SA, WA, ACT & NT you are not allowed to ride in a “bus lane” or a “bus only lane” (rule 154 & 158, WA regs 132 & 136)
I'm not sure about the other states, but you can ride in a "bus lane" in SA. You cannot ride in a "bus only lane" however.

See p12 of the "Cycling and the Law" document published by the SA goverment:
http://www.sa.gov.au/upload/franchise/T ... __web_.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, here:
http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au/the_onli ... book/lanes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(look at the text under the picture of the bus lane).

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:11 pm

jasonc wrote:oh - had 2 this morning
had a car cut me off turning into St lucia golf club (indooroopilly rd)
and the second one was great
round about just after that. i was turning right into lambert rd. truck with trailer coming the opposite direction went anyway. i waited. eventually the truck went past. turns out he was doing a U-turn. he didn't make it. about 10 seconds after I get past I hear a good ol' thump - he hit one of the signs :mrgreen:
Ah, I call that roundabout "Assumption Roundabout", as the majority of users assume:

- there is nothing coming
- they wont have to indicate
- the person ahead of them has seen there is nothing to give way to
- all of the above at the same time.

The roundabout closest to it is similar also.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:07 pm

A little in "Moron Motorists" and a little in "Dumb cyclists"
On the way home yesterday, minding my own business, checked out a couple of bikes parked on the footpath (nothing special). Looked up and saw a surprise in front of me, as I wasn't watching I couldn't really yell at them, but checking the footage this arvo certainly should have. Had it been the taxi pulling out I might be looking for a dentist.

bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:29 pm

il padrone wrote:Must admit I was equally disturbed by the close shaves by the moto and the scooter :o Motorbikes are allowed in bus-lanes eh??

Lecturing and discussing with prats such as this is virtually useless. Unless they are giving an apology just pack your cam, ride on and report if serious enough.
Close shaves like that from scooters are pretty routine, unfortunately. :x Increasingly, also from motos. I get startled a bit more often than I'd like. Need to take centre of lane a bit more instead of buffering in the left wheel track.

You're right about the lecturing, I was in a bit of a state of disbelief she'd pulled that dangerous stunt only to double park a mere 15m down the side-street! The blonde woman that was first to step off the curb afterwards was looking at me saying something like "unbelievable! (ie, what she just did to you)" (too low to pick up through the sealed water housing unfortunately)

FWIW, you're also allowed to travel in bus and transit lanes in NSW for up to 100m if you need to turn left or pick up/drop off a passenger. So she really had no excuse for anything she did.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:37 pm

trailgumby wrote:

You're right about the lecturing, I was in a bit of a state of disbelief she'd pulled that dangerous stunt only to double park a mere 15m down the side-street! The blonde woman that was first to step off the curb afterwards was looking at me saying something like "unbelievable! (ie, what she just did to you)" (too low to pick up through the sealed water housing unfortunately)
On second thoughts, there's quite nothing like that kind of wilful stupid to motivate Mr Plod to send them a little financial road rules training. :D

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:05 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Happens too often, some motorists just think ah just a cyclist no big deal. You showed great restraint, me, I'd have shouted at her and kept going. You can't argue with an idiot and it doesn't matter how you try to explain it, it won't sink in. I always think after situations like that, I hope a bloody big truck does exactly the same to them and we'll see just how 'alright it is' LOL.
Happy Days

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Speaking of left hooks. Today wasn't a bad effort.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:42 pm

Livetoride wrote:You showed great restraint, me, I'd have shouted at her and kept going. You can't argue with an idiot ...
Knowing I can do something about it later if - when I review it - it really is as serious as it seemed at the time, helps take the heat out of it for me.

No need to go ballistic and possibly jeopardise my employment by taking it a step too far in the heat of the moment. I can serve it up to them cold. Legally. And it completely removes any air from the notion they may have cherished their behaviour is "right".

The camera has been a great anger management tool. :)

fatdudeonabike

Postby fatdudeonabike » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:06 pm

I hate motor cyclists in the bike lane... It was only on the ride home this arvo that a line of 3 motorcycles sped past me in the bike lane. You're too wide to be riding in it! Wait like the rest of the motorised traffic!

I hope the ACT Greens member is succesful in lobbying the government here to increase driver education of cyclists... In the incident that I actually came here to mention, I was riding in the bike lane, and the car about to turn left was behind me, so I had right of way. I made eye contact with her, so she knew that I was there... and then went to drive straight through me! It wouldnt have been a "cutting off", she would've hit me with the front and centre of her bonnet.
It wasnt actually a close call, she was going slow enough to go around the corner and got on the brakes quick enough that she stopped with a good 3 metres of room... but it just made me think "you moron!" What did she think I was going to do? I had right of way, and I didn't slow at all when I made eye contact with her.
She was a driver that was aware of cyclists, and had no apparent malice towards that cyclist - her problem was that she had no clue what the road rules are as they apply to cyclists.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Today's highlights.

The first video is a avoided potential left hook. I don't have a issue with the second clip but I found it amusing considering she could have drove into the first parking spot and then when she continued along she stopped in the middle of two parking bays and the last clip is some fool in a 4WD that sped past close by to get ahead in the queue of cars only for me to give chase and give up when I realise the traffic up ahead is clear.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:10 pm

find_bruce wrote:Victoria, Tasmania, SA, WA, ACT & NT you are not allowed to ride in a “bus lane” or a “bus only lane” (rule 154 & 158, WA regs 132 & 136)
Some bus lanes here have exemptions for cyclists or rather they are signed bus and cycle lanes ... the ones down the road from me for example on Hampton Road, Fremantle.

Andrew

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Today's highlights.

The first video is a avoided potential left hook. I don't have a issue with the second clip but I found it amusing considering she could have drove into the first parking spot and then when she continued along she stopped in the middle of two parking bays and the last clip is some fool in a 4WD that sped past close by to get ahead in the queue of cars only for me to give chase and give up when I realise the traffic up ahead is clear.
I was thinking about your truck left hook. There is a possible explanation, if he didn't know where he was going he goes past the bike all fine, and only then sees he needs to turn, and gives you a chance to get through. Only saying this because I once kind of did this to a tractor - overtake then suddenly realise the street I need is coming right up on me (hadn't been there before).

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi,
Just a question concerning trucks, mainly the one I had the problems with last week.

Sent of complaint to local council and received a reply today.

They say after investigation with contractors etc they say that the truck shown in the photos I sent them wasn't part of councils contractors etc.

Just a coincidence that on the first occasion the water truck followed him down the road and second occasion he went out the same road all the rest of the gravel trucks went.

Question is: the number plate shown on the trailer would that be suitable to identify the truck or would you need the actual truck number plate? I am assuming the truck plate is different to the trailer plate.

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2