ACF Strava Club

toolonglegs

Re: ACF Strava Club

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:43 pm

Post up your call sign mate :mrgreen: ... get your followers on board!.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:43 am

You'll know... you'll get some poor bastard who thought he was riding fast and has had his soul ripped out by the reality that there are guys out there who can average 10kmh faster than he can AT HIS FASTEST :oops: :oops: :oops: I've gotten a LOT of top 100s on the some popular segments (3000+ riders) but that's not the top is it? :wink:

Looks like my thoughts about being a climber have definitely been confirmed :roll:

Something I have found really cool is that your segments build from other people's rides already. I made a segment that covered the section I would ride, and it's one of my favourite block burners, and it just built it up from old rides. I DID get a top 25 but I'm honestly not sure how you could confidently run that segment at the speeds that were posted... if you get the green light, you still have people in side streets think hard about pulling in front of you while you do 47-50kmh... I know how that feels... if safety is first, then that dominatrix GPS definitely likes whispering "HTFU"

Arty

Postby Arty » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 am

Xplora wrote:Got a gPS finally.... humbling results. A KOM on my first ride (within 5 minutes woohoo, beat the previous average by 3kmh!) but it seems like I'm just not that fast :oops:
Ahhh the Strava pecking order :D :D .... Nice work on the KOM but! Let the segment hunting begin!

nickdos

Postby nickdos » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:48 pm

A lot of people must be joining Strava in the past 3 -6 months as I've noticed on VeloViewer, that segments I haven't ridden for a while suddenly have stats where I go from (say) position 37 to position 124 :shock: . Makes me not want to update my positions stats on Veloviewer. Anyway, like most people I've moved through the "stages" of Strava infatuation, beyond KOMs and positions, past trying to get massive average speeds for every ride, down to just logging the KMs. Ah reality bites.

clydesmcdale

Postby clydesmcdale » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:10 pm

For anyone doing the Quarq Power Trip Challenge between 22-24 February, I'm planning to ride from Brisbane to Gold Coast early on Sunday morning. I was going to do it anyway and this challenge has alligned nicely.

Will easily get to 50% of the challenge riding from Mount Gravatt to Mermaid Beach, but if perhaps anyone wanted to go with, I could be persuaded to make it a little longer.

Planning to leave from the base of Mount Gravatt at about 5am making my way down Logan Road to meet up with the same route as the B2GC ride at 8 Mile Plains heading south. WIll be excluding the Stapylton Loop and around the back of Dreamworld. Looks about 80km if I don't deviate, but tempted to add another 20km just to get me over the 100 mark. So could be a good return ride for anyone looking to do the full 100 miles (160km).

Let me know or just turn up at 5am at the base of Mount Gravatt.

Here's the B2GC segment for anyone who didn't go
http://app.strava.com/segments/2525253

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:58 pm

nickdos wrote:A lot of people must be joining Strava in the past 3 -6 months as I've noticed on VeloViewer, that segments I haven't ridden for a while suddenly have stats where I go from (say) position 37 to position 124 :shock: . Makes me not want to update my positions stats on Veloviewer. Anyway, like most people I've moved through the "stages" of Strava infatuation, beyond KOMs and positions, past trying to get massive average speeds for every ride, down to just logging the KMs. Ah reality bites.
In this segment I went from 69th to 974th in just over three months. :roll:
http://app.strava.com/segments/1983557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's the thing when segments are over roads which are highly utilised by bunch rides.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:34 pm

It's not going to help that people just "appear" on the scene. I've been riding my commute for 12 months now, only just got a Bryton, and have registered a bunch of times in the top 50 for 3000+ rider segments. Have these people gotten slower? Or have I simply announced my triumphant presence on Strava? I know which version I prefer :mrgreen:

The key is to jump on the bike and start clawing your way back up the list. :idea:

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:52 pm

Kenzo wrote:
nickdos wrote:A lot of people must be joining Strava in the past 3 -6 months as I've noticed on VeloViewer, that segments I haven't ridden for a while suddenly have stats where I go from (say) position 37 to position 124 :shock: . Makes me not want to update my positions stats on Veloviewer. Anyway, like most people I've moved through the "stages" of Strava infatuation, beyond KOMs and positions, past trying to get massive average speeds for every ride, down to just logging the KMs. Ah reality bites.
In this segment I went from 69th to 974th in just over three months. :roll:
http://app.strava.com/segments/1983557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's the thing when segments are over roads which are highly utilised by bunch rides.
Mate this is how it works:
1. Someone faster than you joins Strava
2. They upload their rides
3. You lose 2 pages of KOMs

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Yup... I know my time was not fast (especially on the segment I linked above) .. but 900 places is a lot of movement in just three months.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Dimma wrote:Mate this is how it works:
1. Dimma joins Strava
2. They upload their rides
3. You lose 2 pages of KOMs
Fixed that

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:08 pm

^^^ :lol: .
But yes lots of people loading up all their Garmin files these days... I like it. But then over here we don't have a gazillion segments on every ride... then I might not like it so much :| .

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:21 pm

The key is to live in the sticks like I do. Fewer riders means you have more top 10's :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 pm

There's one strava segment that had the KOM for so long and then within a couple days the KOM kept changing with rides posted from 2010-2011 haha. I guess I'm a tad bit guilty of that to some extent too :P
clydesmcdale wrote:For anyone doing the Quarq Power Trip Challenge between 22-24 February, I'm planning to ride from Brisbane to Gold Coast early on Sunday morning. I was going to do it anyway and this challenge has alligned nicely.

Will easily get to 50% of the challenge riding from Mount Gravatt to Mermaid Beach, but if perhaps anyone wanted to go with, I could be persuaded to make it a little longer.

Planning to leave from the base of Mount Gravatt at about 5am making my way down Logan Road to meet up with the same route as the B2GC ride at 8 Mile Plains heading south. WIll be excluding the Stapylton Loop and around the back of Dreamworld. Looks about 80km if I don't deviate, but tempted to add another 20km just to get me over the 100 mark. So could be a good return ride for anyone looking to do the full 100 miles (160km).

Let me know or just turn up at 5am at the base of Mount Gravatt.

Here's the B2GC segment for anyone who didn't go
http://app.strava.com/segments/2525253
I would be interested in joining you but I'll be riding from Landsborough-Cleveland way/Toowong way instead that day :P

norbs

Postby norbs » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Time to get on board folks.

http://cycling.norbtech.com/2013/02/aus ... time-ride/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aussies vs the World!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:19 pm

norbs wrote:Time to get on board folks.

http://cycling.norbtech.com/2013/02/aus ... time-ride/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aussies vs the World!
I've been ramping up the hours recently, 15 hours in a week might be pushing it :shock: Not so much the saddle, but the angry wife when I roll down the driveway.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:24 pm

Almost Festive 500 territory all over again..gosh!
And the weather isnt meant to be all that flash up here next week, yes I know soft :roll:
Lisa

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:51 pm

15 hours.... easy!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:50 pm

marinmomma wrote:Almost Festive 500 territory all over again..gosh!
And the weather isnt meant to be all that flash up here next week, yes I know soft :roll:
15 hours, not kms. Time to buy that trainer! :twisted:

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:20 am

Normally I'd be putting my hand up for this but I'm ride leader with my club this weekend and moving house next week. Perhaps not!

But in other news I was delighted to find out I did the longest ride of all women in the Base Mile Challenge! Didn't actually set out to do this and, if I had, I wouldn't have missed 13km of data. It was a 300km Audax ride.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:41 am

Eleri wrote:Normally I'd be putting my hand up for this but I'm ride leader with my club this weekend and moving house next week. Perhaps not!

But in other news I was delighted to find out I did the longest ride of all women in the Base Mile Challenge! Didn't actually set out to do this and, if I had, I wouldn't have missed 13km of data. It was a 300km Audax ride.
Well done eleri! 8)

I'd love to do my bit for the country... but next week is not looking promising for me. Although the weather for Perth will be fantastic for that week.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:21 pm

This would have to be the easiest Strava challenge to date, I would expect loads of finishers

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:32 pm

Dimma wrote:This would have to be the easiest Strava challenge to date, I would expect loads of finishers
can't believe it's oz vs the world. do we have that many strava users?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:22 pm

Just lost my first KOM... Dave B, I'm coming for you!

Thankfully it is a longer segment and I know I can go quite a bit quicker than I did :D

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Eleri wrote:Normally I'd be putting my hand up for this but I'm ride leader with my club this weekend and moving house next week. Perhaps not!

I saw that in the email yesterday, congrats well done! 8)
Lisa

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:50 am

marinmomma wrote:

I saw that in the email yesterday, congrats well done! 8)
Thanks Lisa!

I'm still grinning like an idiot about this "trophy."

I was really happy with my ride. Despite that it was a very hot day with temps up to 42 degrees and a raging headwind for the latter half of the day. It was hard to keep adequately hydrated - one person ended up on a drip. I did the same ride last year but the av temp was about 18 degrees and I took longer. My goal for this year was to do the ride and then the recovery ride the next morning. Tick!

The email said I won a "jersey bin" which I fondly imagined was a dirty washing basket specifically for jerseys. I did think that was an odd thing to win. Turns out to be a little plastic wallet thingy to pop in my jersey pocket. :-)