New Helmet for the track

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

New Helmet for the track

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 am

I'm heading towards buying a new helmet for racing and I was thinking about buying one to specifically use at the track. TTL brought to my attention the following helmet and I have seen one rider using it (or similar helmet) at recent track events;

http://www.giro.com/us_en/products/men/ ... 6170.html/

I am not sure about the best way to purchase one and I doubt that one could be brought with an Aussie sticker, but you do not require an aussie sticker for the track http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/site/cycl ... 20regs.pdf
2. In all track events competitors shall wear an approved AS2063, ANSI, Snell or EN approved helmet.
There's no mention on the web page as to which standards this helmet certified for :evil:

Of course the question begs is how much difference this helmet makes over a road helmet?

And I already have a rooster tail type pursuit helmet, so its only for mass start racing
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toppity

Re: New Helmet for the track

Postby toppity » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 am

Very confusing legislation if you ask me. The very next point after the one you have quoted states.

c) A helmet must carry the relevant approval sticker confirming approval and certification to AS/NZ 2063 before a
cyclist is permitted to start in any cycling event.

Track racing is still a cycling event I think.

It then also goes on to state

f) For the individual pursuit and track time trials approved helmets shall bear either AS/NZ 2063, ANSI, Snell or
EN bicycle helmet approval

This appears to be redundant based on item b) which you have already quoted.
I ride several bicycles, but not at once.

toppity

Postby toppity » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:36 am

on the Giro website is the owners manual for international customers

http://www.giro.com/skin/frontend/enter ... manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On page 6 it states some evidence of compliance. However you'd have to make sure it had the CE mark.

Not too sure if this is really helpful or not.

toppity

Postby toppity » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:41 am

BTW - very cool track helmet :D

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:21 am

Yeh the writing of the regulations is confusing.

Clause C is redundant and contradicts clause B

Clause F only refers to track, as individual pursuit is a track event, so its redundant to clause B.2. However what the difference is that clause F allows time trail helmets and clause B.2 is mass start helmets, none of which is stated, but the commissionaires will stop you if you tried to use a time trail helmet in a mass start. When I raced the 2011 Australian Masters championships a QLD rider rode around during warmup with a TT helmet on and the commissionaires called him off the track for a helmet change. There was no issue with riding around the track with TT bars on during warmup.

What is not clear in those rules is what the difference is between a mass start helmet and a TT helmet. Seems to be at the discretion of the commissionaires. I've seen them tell a rider that he couldn't wear the helmet he was about to go out on the track with and he responded that he had cleared it [with the other commissionaire] before using it.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:40 am

From what I've read, they'll be coming out in Oz in the coming months. Think I saw something like March or April??

They're supposed to give really good ventilation despite what they look like. I'm very keen as I've been eyeing off the Casco, but this one could be used on the road and track, pending compliance of course. If you're not in a rush, I'd wait for the stickered up version. Might be a good crit helmet too.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks Brawlo, will definitely wait in that case

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Saw one of these sitting in the LBS shop the other day. Not the Aus standard model, but they're getting closer to being on the shelves. Lots of them floating around the US track scene apparently!