Gout

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
durianrider

Re: Gout

Postby durianrider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:29 pm

sogood wrote:
gururug wrote:Apparently eating too many bananas can cause gout...
You got it mixed up with those with kidney failure. Banana is to be avoided in those cases for its high potassium load.
I literally eat more bananas than anyone in Australia. My liver, kidney, potassium and uric acid levels on my blood tests are always good.

Never met a vegan with gout issues but met PLENTY of meat eaters that went vegan to eliminate gout.

This is a good article from Dr McDougall.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/gout.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Besides I heard those gout medicines can increase risk of impotence.
Vegan since 2001.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:40 pm

There 2 types of treatment for gout - those for acute flare ups, and those reserved as suppressive therapy. Allopurinol is something not particularly useful for acute flareups, but good for reducing recurrences of the disease.

As mentioned above, NSAIDs and analgesics are the cornerstone of acute management. Some find colchicine useful. Personally, I find short course of steroids ie single or 2 or 3 doses of 50mg of Prednisolone the most useful and effective.

WRT the appropriate dose of allopurinol, most start suppressive therapy at 200 to 300mg, and taper to 100mg daily. The standard 100mg dose is increased if suppression fails on this dose. Some need it indefinitely, some don't, depending on the etiology.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:46 pm

durianrider wrote:
sogood wrote:
gururug wrote:Apparently eating too many bananas can cause gout...
You got it mixed up with those with kidney failure. Banana is to be avoided in those cases for its high potassium load.
I literally eat more bananas than anyone in Australia. My liver, kidney, potassium and uric acid levels on my blood tests are always good.

Never met a vegan with gout issues but met PLENTY of meat eaters that went vegan to eliminate gout.

This is a good article from Dr McDougall.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/gout.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Besides I heard those gout medicines can increase risk of impotence.

That's quite fine if your in good health. If your not, an excess banana intake can be lethal (as funny as that sounds). Unfortunately being a vegan, although in general its a very healthy lifestyle, won't necessarily save u from your predetermined genetics.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Yep fruit is bad for you if you are unhealthy but drugs with warnings like 'KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN!:POISON!' are healthy for you if you are sick. Makes sense. Look up iatrogenic disease....Not sure how many Australians died last year from fruit and veg consumption but I bet it was over 10 000 for sure.

Doesnt matter what you eat or what your lifestyle is, if your parents got it then you will get it. Lifestyle, diet and attitude is all fine but it does NOTHING to save
u from your predetermined genetics.

Ok gang, off for a smoke, some steak and beer with the ladz at the tavern.
Vegan since 2001.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:51 pm

durianrider wrote:Doesnt matter what you eat or what your lifestyle is, if your parents got it then you will get it.
Better not be so definitive. It's a tad more sophisticated that that. But if you look exactly like your dad or mum, then you'll probably be closer in getting what he or she got.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:43 pm

durianrider wrote:Yep fruit is bad for you if you are unhealthy but drugs with warnings like 'KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN!:POISON!' are healthy for you if you are sick. Makes sense. Look up iatrogenic disease....Not sure how many Australians died last year from fruit and veg consumption but I bet it was over 10 000 for sure.

Doesnt matter what you eat or what your lifestyle is, if your parents got it then you will get it. Lifestyle, diet and attitude is all fine but it does NOTHING to save
u from your predetermined genetics.

Ok gang, off for a smoke, some steak and beer with the ladz at the tavern.
Sounds like that'd be a good idea...

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:06 pm

RonK wrote:BTW - is there a standard dosage for Allopurinol? I'm taking 300mg per day and it's keeping my uric acid at normal levels according to regular blood tests.
http://www.mimsonline.com/USA/drug/info ... ?type=full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sogood

Postby sogood » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:52 am

(Some may find the following video disgusting. Watch at your own risk)
Drainage of a nice chunky gouty tophus. Good outcome.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ObMNgIemAtA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Dr_Mutley

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 am

sogood wrote:(Some may find the following video disgusting. Watch at your own risk)
Drainage of a nice chunky gouty tophus. Good outcome.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ObMNgIemAtA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lucky it's not smellovision... The smell of them is dry wretch territory...

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:55 pm

winstonw wrote:
RonK wrote:BTW - is there a standard dosage for Allopurinol? I'm taking 300mg per day and it's keeping my uric acid at normal levels according to regular blood tests.
http://www.mimsonline.com/USA/drug/info ... ?type=full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks Winston.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...