DIY Bike Fit, Please Critique

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
15wilsonwu

DIY Bike Fit, Please Critique

Postby 15wilsonwu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi, I recently purchased a new frame and decided to give myself a bike fit in attempt to save money.
Here are the pictures of the 3 different positions.
Please excuse the bulging fat :lol:
Middle for climbing:

Hoods for moderate speeds:

Drops for high speeds:

Is there anywhere I can improve on this? I've been for a short ride and it seems pretty comfortable. I will go on a longer ride this weekend to see how I can cope with this new position.
Thanks in advanced.
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

sumgy

Re: DIY Bike Fit, Please Critique

Postby sumgy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:58 am

Impossible to tell without seeing footage of you from the side, front and rear.
Even then the footage would have to be very clear.
Pics would need to see you with your foot down and be able to see the foot in order to see whether your toes are down/up/flat at the bottom of the stroke.

I am thinking that bike looks a little small for you though.
What size is it (ETT) and how tall are you?
You also seem to be positioned a long way forward on that saddle.
Last edited by sumgy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:59 am

Looking at photos doesn't really tell you much and just sitting on the bike tells you even less.

The best way is to ride the bike as you normally would and your body will let you know how the positions are.

A position may feel comfortable when just sitting on the bike with it in a trainer (static) but when you're riding and/or pushing hard you will sit on the bike differently and this is what matters and needs to feel right.
Also, everyone is different physically (musculature and flexibility), so you can't really just look at the angles of someone's legs or arms and say that's a good fit (though that is the misnoma many think is required).

If you'd like hours of worthwhile reading, try looking at THIS.

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:20 am

DoogleDave wrote:Looking at photos doesn't really tell you much and just sitting on the bike tells you even less.

The best way is to ride the bike as you normally would and your body will let you know how the positions are.

A position may feel comfortable when just sitting on the bike with it in a trainer (static) but when you're riding and/or pushing hard you will sit on the bike differently and this is what matters and needs to feel right.
Also, everyone is different physically (musculature and flexibility), so you can't really just look at the angles of someone's legs or arms and say that's a good fit (though that is the misnoma many think is required).

Dave
To take it further:

Steve Hogg's blog.

Read these posts in this order:

Basic Premise
Cleat position
Seat Height
Set Back

If you want to get fancy seek out the posts on arch support, shims and wedges.

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks guys, I think i'll go for a professional bike fit since there are so many things to put into consideration. :lol:
It's a 53 ETT and im 170cm
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:44 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:Thanks guys, I think i'll go for a professional bike fit since there are so many things to put into consideration. :lol:
Read the links.
It is easy.

Jesmol

Postby Jesmol » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:49 pm

For me 0.02 , why have you got your arms so straight ? can you hold them in a bent position in flats and hoods ? I was of the understanding you shouldn't ride with straight / tense arms , they should be bent
If you cant hold the bent position , does that mean you have too much drop from Saddle to Bars ?

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:57 pm

sumgy wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:Thanks guys, I think i'll go for a professional bike fit since there are so many things to put into consideration. :lol:
Read the links.
It is easy.
I have read the 4 links but in order to read the rest, ill have to pay and subscribe.
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:58 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:
sumgy wrote:
Read the links.
It is easy.
I have read the 4 links but in order to read the rest, ill have to pay and subscribe.
The 4 links are all you will need initially.
Most of the stuff you will need you do not need to subscribe for.

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Jesmol wrote:For me 0.02 , why have you got your arms so straight ? can you hold them in a bent position in flats and hoods ? I was of the understanding you shouldn't ride with straight / tense arms , they should be bent
If you cant hold the bent position , does that mean you have too much drop from Saddle to Bars ?
I normally keep it bent. I think I had it straight because i was stationary instead of actually riding it.
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:35 pm

I see Steve Hogg in Sydney. When it comes to bike fit, go see the best.

Photos don't say much. We need to see how you perform under load. Ride at 5 watts per kg and see what happens to your posture etc. What is your flexibility like, any old injuries.

I see Steve and then mark all my measurements with a white out pen and go ride and relax.
Vegan since 2001.

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:19 pm

durianrider wrote:I see Steve Hogg in Sydney. When it comes to bike fit, go see the best.

Photos don't say much. We need to see how you perform under load. Ride at 5 watts per kg and see what happens to your posture etc. What is your flexibility like, any old injuries.

I see Steve and then mark all my measurements with a white out pen and go ride and relax.
DURIANRIDER!
Never knew you had a BNA account, lol. I know your against carbon, but chinese carbon is as cheap as alloy, so what do you think?
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:48 pm

The challenge with Steve is the lead time to get in to see him.

I've just organised a session with Blair Martin aka The Body Mechanic at Milson's Point. Have had a lot of positive feedback about him. Might be the subject of an upcoming article.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:54 pm

In relation to your original post, the horizontal top tube looks a little short, and your seat post a little high - your leg looks too straight and my first thought is you're reaching too far and overextending your leg.

However, that's only a first impression and I agree we really need to see video of you in action from either side, in front and behind including whole body and feet while pedalling under load.

My session next Friday with Blair is for 3 hours :shock: Think I'm going to need to take a few bottles of hydration drink

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:42 pm

sumgy wrote:
DoogleDave wrote:Looking at photos doesn't really tell you much and just sitting on the bike tells you even less.

Dave
To take it further:

Steve Hogg's blog.

Read these posts in this order:

Basic Premise
Cleat position
Seat Height
Set Back

If you want to get fancy seek out the posts on arch support, shims and wedges.
Ive got all my bikes fitted by Hogg since 2004. The guy knows his stuff. Only one out there that offers a money back guarantee and makes his crust doing bike fits. Some people knock him on the net but none of them get the results or back it like Hogg does.
Vegan since 2001.

durianrider

Postby durianrider » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:46 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:
durianrider wrote:I see Steve Hogg in Sydney. When it comes to bike fit, go see the best.

DURIANRIDER!
Never knew you had a BNA account, lol. I know your against carbon, but chinese carbon is as cheap as alloy, so what do you think?
Im not so much against carbon as people think after reading my writings/attending my workshops. Its more if you are a noob and havent had your share of noob style crashes yet. Super light carbon doesnt hold up as good as alloy in crashes as we can see based on photos http://www.brokencarbon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do have light weight carbon bikes. I know that in a crash they won't hold up as well as an alloy bike. That said thesedays carbon is repairable by companies like 'paintmybike' etc.

So alloy is stronger yet carbon is easier to fix. Not that you would want to fix carbon bars or forks after a crash. :wink:
Vegan since 2001.